ViaAqua Oceanpure Salt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ViaAqua Oceanpure Salt?

Is anyone here using the ViaAqua Oceanpure salt? I just read about Steve West using it with good results. He said that it mixes up as Calcium - 420, Magnesium 1350 and Alkalinity - 8.5. Sounds perfect to me. My only drawback is that it seems cheap and comes from China.

I've been using it for a while and I used their pro version too. For me it mixed up at 500 calcium, and 9.5 alk and around 1300 or slightly less mag.

I will say that I am not using it anymore because I just had a freshly mixed batch tested on a colorimeter at 30pt (1.021-1.022) and it had a P04 level of .04. For reference, my RO/DI tested at 0.0. I usually mix the salt a little stronger so I feel that the P04 level might even be .05.

That being said, I know plenty of people who have used it for years and love it. But i'm trying to limit any introduction of phosphate that I can so I am again on the search for the perfect salt

Comment

i think seachem came out with a reef salt. has anyone tried it?

Comment

yeah i just read a ad on it i dont think its out yet
        Nick
        Nick
        180G SPS Mainly
        10 Bulb T5 Starfire
        Calcium Reactor
        3 Tunze 6105's
        Profilux Controller
        ATB Return w/ wavysea
        ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Seachem is a well established, reputable company with good products. Maybe they can make the elusive "perfect" reef salt.

I seem to remember there is some reason why their regular salt is not widely used, though. Excessive levels of something or other?

It is available here, if anyone wants to try it.

http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products.../Itemdy00.aspx

Interesting note: Seachem says they they do not use silicate based drying agents, so you won't have problems with brown diatom algae. I wonder if this could be the source of the problems that some (myself included) have had with Oceanic?

http://www.seachem.com/support/FAQs/ReefSalt_faq.html

Tom
          Last edited by Tom Berry; 04-19-2005, 07:21 AM.
          Current Tank: 75g sps restarted with ZEOvit August 2004, Aqua Connect 14K 250W SE MH x 2, SLS HQI ballasts, 54W blueplus T5s x 2, H&S A150 external (recirculating) skimmer, Tunze Stream 6060, 6000 with single controller, Geo Ca reactor, in-sump ZEOvit reactor from Madison, Aquacontroller

Comment

Tom, I believe initially, Seachem had mixture problems with their salt, which they had now corrected. If you use it, plz. post the mixture parameters & your impressions for the rest of us. Thnx. Bob
            "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

Back to the original subject, I was using oceanic, switched to oceanpure, and so far so good. No problems. I don't test all that carefully though and currently the tank is FOWLR, but given my feeding habits and my bioload, I have virtually no nuisance algae etc...course I don't have all that much in the way of corals either, but that's just my input.
              10x3x2 FOWLR (for now)
              BK400ext
              RD12 return, 2 RD12 closed loop, wavebox with extension
              MRC kalkmixer
              IKS

Comment

Working...
              X