Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's next after 3rd zeolite change?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What's next after 3rd zeolite change?

    Hi,

    Now i have already change the zeolite for the 3rd time 2 weeks ago.

    What is your recommended dosage?

    450gal water volume

    All using salifert test kit.
    Mg = 1350ppm
    Ca = 420ppm
    NO3 = 0.2ppm
    PO4 = 0
    pH = 8
    kH = 8.5ppm
    Salinity = 1.024

    Dosage = 3ml zeostart2, 10 drops zeobak, 10 drops of zeofood

    Using 1 liter rowa carbon.

    Most corals have extended polys.
    Problem encountered :
    3 acro now stn............ 1 acro color lightening.. 3 acro polyps not extending well. Total sps = est 70 pcs.

    Hope Professor Bob and Master Alex can help.

    Thanks in advance.

  • #2
    Stanley, hard to tell but I expect two possibilities:

    1. Acropora tissue eating turbellaria (Flatworms)
    2. Any Element in your system has accumulated.

    Please tell let me know if what else you dose in your tank (interval and quantity). I would also recommend to observe the corals for the turbellaria.

    Please also check you KH and Mg test kit if possible.

    Some additional question Are the affected corals where chocolate brown before starting zeo ?

    G.Alexander

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by G.Alexander
      Stanley, hard to tell but I expect two possibilities:

      1. Acropora tissue eating turbellaria (Flatworms)
      2. Any Element in your system has accumulated.

      Please tell let me know if what else you dose in your tank (interval and quantity). I would also recommend to observe the corals for the turbellaria.

      Please also check you KH and Mg test kit if possible.

      Some additional question Are the affected corals where chocolate brown before starting zeo ?

      G.Alexander
      Thanks Alex,

      1. For acropora tissue eating turbellana or flatworms, i do not know but i have not see any. Maybe too small for my eyes to catch? If i have, what should i do?

      2. Element, I am using Tropic Marine Pro-reef salt, besides that i am using TM Magnesium for weekly dosage (18 teaspoon per week) and TM calcium for weekly dosage (5 teaspoon per week). Also occasionally using TM strondium ( 4 - 5 teaspoon per week). Sometimes feeding DT's oyster's egg 2 times per week. 1 cube of mysis shrimp + bits of pellets for my fishes. Still using some 500ml rowaphos, 1000ml of rowa carbon. Both in a mesh bag inside the sump. Intends to remove the rowaphos when 4th change comes in.


      With this info. I hope i can find the root to this problem. Please assist.
      Thanks

      Comment


      • #4
        Hi Stanley, Alexander will add his thoughts tomorrow, but TM Pro-reef contains extra elements + all the supplemental elements that you're adding may play a negative role here. Also, changes in your parameters, can stress our corals[especially KH, pH, & temperature, but to a lesser extent salinity,Ca, Mg] One point on STN: if the involved corals are in areas of deficient flow around their bases or positioned where light is shaded from parts of their bases, the coral's nutritional ability is compromised, resulting in STN. In these scenarios, reversing the deficit problem can sometimes also reverse STN. Bob
        "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Aged Salt
          Hi Stanley, Alexander will add his thoughts tomorrow, but TM Pro-reef contains extra elements + all the supplemental elements that you're adding may play a negative role here. Also, changes in your parameters, can stress our corals[especially KH, pH, & temperature, but to a lesser extent salinity,Ca, Mg] One point on STN: if the involved corals are in areas of deficient flow around their bases or positioned where light is shaded from parts of their bases, the coral's nutritional ability is compromised, resulting in STN. In these scenarios, reversing the deficit problem can sometimes also reverse STN. Bob

          Thanks Bob,

          I do agreed on that last point, in fact i have 4 to 5 stn on my acro, some due to insufficient lighting or flow. However, what surprise me is those in high flow and high light area, i still get stn. Mostly from base then slowly going upwards.


          The reason i dose Mg, Strontium and Ca is because they sometimes deplete after 3 to 4 days.

          Stanley

          Comment


          • #6
            Stanley, I first would check out if these corals are affected by the turbellaria. They and also the eggs are very hard to identify as long as the coral is in the tank. I would recommend to remove such a coral, observing it with a loupe. If they are affected by the turbellaria you should quick notice the eggs by your observation. This thread also shows some pictures:

            http://www.zeovit.com/forums/showthr...5&page=1&pp=10

            If it is for sure you do not have this problem, I expect the accumulation of any element or a imbalance of all elements in the system – mostly because of the extra additions. I have learned it is very important not to change the comparison of the water to much by adding several elements extra (KH – Mg – Ca).

            The best think you can do now is to do frequent water changes (about 10 %) weekly to balance the elements in your system again. Please make sure you use a good synthetic salt which provides optimal levels for your tank.

            I am not a friend of adding such products, sooner or later IMO this will cause problems. I also would recommend to stop the addition of strontium. Strontium will be provided with the regularly water changes in adequate quantity.

            IMO it is the optimum to run a tank with only a CaCO2 reactor filled with PO4 free or low natural coral gravel & natural Mg granulate to keep the levels in KH, Ca and Mg in a constant, balanced way plus doing regularly water changes to add trace elements. Assumption to it is a good salt.

            G.Alexander

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by G.Alexander
              Stanley, I first would check out if these corals are affected by the turbellaria. They and also the eggs are very hard to identify as long as the coral is in the tank. I would recommend to remove such a coral, observing it with a loupe. If they are affected by the turbellaria you should quick notice the eggs by your observation. This thread also shows some pictures:

              http://www.zeovit.com/forums/showthr...5&page=1&pp=10

              If it is for sure you do not have this problem, I expect the accumulation of any element or a imbalance of all elements in the system – mostly because of the extra additions. I have learned it is very important not to change the comparison of the water to much by adding several elements extra (KH – Mg – Ca).

              The best think you can do now is to do frequent water changes (about 10 %) weekly to balance the elements in your system again. Please make sure you use a good synthetic salt which provides optimal levels for your tank.

              I am not a friend of adding such products, sooner or later IMO this will cause problems. I also would recommend to stop the addition of strontium. Strontium will be provided with the regularly water changes in adequate quantity.

              IMO it is the optimum to run a tank with only a CaCO2 reactor filled with PO4 free or low natural coral gravel & natural Mg granulate to keep the levels in KH, Ca and Mg in a constant, balanced way plus doing regularly water changes to add trace elements. Assumption to it is a good salt.

              G.Alexander


              Thanks for your comment,

              About the turbellaria. I have observed that i do not have such problem in my corals.

              I have zeo's Mg granulate 1000l in my CA reactor and hoping it should maintained my Mg level. You may be right that i may have added too many additives, but everytime i add these addictives, i checked their level before i add in. About strontium, which i may have to stop it.

              I did a water change about 5% every week. Do you think that Rowaphos may be the cause of it as stil run about 500ml inside my sump.

              Occasionally i still see bubbles resting on my sandbed unlike previously where there are cyno or bubbles all over the sandbed when i first started zeovite without rowa.

              Could this be the problem?

              Comment


              • #8
                Stanley, I can not tell you if the absorber is causing the problem, but I would recommend to stop the usage.

                If you get air bubbles as described I would recommend to adapt the dosage of the following products:

                ZeoStart2
                Amino Acids

                Both should be dosed regularly but in a quantity which does not produce these air bubbles or the brown slime.

                G.Alexander

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by G.Alexander
                  Stanley, I can not tell you if the absorber is causing the problem, but I would recommend to stop the usage.

                  If you get air bubbles as described I would recommend to adapt the dosage of the following products:

                  ZeoStart2
                  Amino Acids

                  Both should be dosed regularly but in a quantity which does not produce these air bubbles or the brown slime.

                  G.Alexander

                  Thanks,

                  How much should i dose?

                  zeostart?
                  amino acid?

                  I just saw some thread about mums from zeo reactor when i pump. Would it be this as i have place my reactors in a sump that runs to a filter cotton then to another sump that my return pump lies? Will such filter trapped all the mums thus none are allow to be flow to the main tank?

                  I suspect this may be the problem.. Perhaps i should place them in the return sump...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Stanley, I try to give you a recommendation for your 450 gal system, doing Bobs job

                    I would recommend to dose ZeoStart 2 constant 4 x daily each 0,2 ml per dosing pump. If you do not own a dosing pump I would recommend to dose 0,3 ml once every morning and once every evening.

                    Please watch out for the “classical” overdosing sign with the product, described in this thread:

                    http://www.zeovit.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1633

                    I would also recommend to dose the amino acids on a daily basis. 5 drops once each day should work fine. The amino acids also can produce brown slime if overdosed. Please cut down the dosage if you notice it.

                    The bacteria mulm coming from the reactor while you mix up the materia provides a excellent nourishment source for the corals and I defiantly noticed a improvement blowing the mulm directly in the tank. If possible I would recommend to change to location of the Zeo filter to the last camber of your sump.

                    I personally have no experience with the Rowa carbon, maybe another member can jump in here telling his experiences with this carbon.

                    G.Alexander

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I've not use that carbon, but Stanley, K-Z does not recommend using Rowaphos or any P04 remover with the ZEOvit method, as this will cause a imbalance in nutrient reduction, resulting in negative coral consequences[read:TN] The ZEOvit, itself, reduces P04's quite nicelyBob
                      Last edited by Aged Salt; 04-24-2005, 07:57 AM.
                      "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I could see the Rowaphos in combination with ZEO causing an imbalance of some sort. Just a suggestion, take out the bag of rowa and do a 10% water change. Observe your corals and see if the TN stops.
                        Fish eat poop....tastes just like chicken.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Ger
                          I could see the Rowaphos in combination with ZEO causing an imbalance of some sort. Just a suggestion, take out the bag of rowa and do a 10% water change. Observe your corals and see if the TN stops.

                          Yup,

                          I think i shall try it out this weekend. remove the rowa and place the reactor right under the return pump.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Ok guys,

                            Just removed Rowa 2 days ago.

                            Just took some readings and surprising my NO3 is no colorless, used to have some like 0.2ppm.
                            PO4 = 0

                            Dosage 2days 1 time,
                            Tank volume = 450 gal
                            zoestart 2 = 3ml
                            zeobak = 10ml
                            zeofood = 10ml

                            Both zeofood and zeobak i have not dose for about 10 days since some of my sps stn at the base.

                            SO what should i do? what dosage you guys recommend??

                            Pls help
                            Thanks in advance.

                            Stanley

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Stanley, I assume that a typo for bak/food7 doses. Your problem[STN] may be from RowaPhos use in conjunction with ZEOvit. If the STN has not progressed, I'd recommend the following:

                              Dose bak/food 6drops each every other day with new zeolites for the first two wks., then, 6 drops each 2x's/wk. Turn off the skimmer for 60min after dosing these.

                              Dose Start2 .8ml 2x's/day

                              Dose zeolites 1ltr/400l net vol. with the appropriate flow. Bob
                              Last edited by Aged Salt; 05-03-2005, 04:54 AM.
                              "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X