Dilemna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dilemna

I am very happy with the health and coloration of my sps, but continue to struggle with brown slime. I now believe that it is bacterial buildup from zeo dosing, not algae.

I currently have no fish in my tank. I am not feeding/adding anything other than zeo products. My skimmer is working fine. I am using RO/DI water that measures 0 TDS.

I recently stopped all zeo dosing for a week. My sps lost color, but I didn't see any difference with the slime.

I cut way back on my dosages, and started start2 last week. I believe I am in phase 2, but it's hard to tell. My curent dosages for my 75g (net volume) tank are:

.4 ml start2 1x daily
    1 drop bak 1x weekly
    food7 none
    AAHC 1 drop 2x weekly
    PIF 1 drop 2x weekly
    Fe 1 drop 1x weekly

I think my sps would benefit from more AAHC, and maybe food7, but I don't want to feed the slime.

I am reluctant to stop zeo dosing for an extended period, as my corals would suffer. Will the start2 help with this over time? What else can I do?

Tom
    Current Tank: 75g sps restarted with ZEOvit August 2004, Aqua Connect 14K 250W SE MH x 2, SLS HQI ballasts, 54W blueplus T5s x 2, H&S A150 external (recirculating) skimmer, Tunze Stream 6060, 6000 with single controller, Geo Ca reactor, in-sump ZEOvit reactor from Madison, Aquacontroller

Tom, is it possible to post a picture of the slime to be sure ?

With my experience I can tell you the slime is caused by a overdose of ZeoStart2 and / or AAHC. Your AAHC dosage seems to be fine. I would recommend to cut down the ZeoStart2 dosage. I would not completely stop, because this will change the bacteria comparison in your system. 2 drops in the morning and 2 drops in the evening should slow reduce the slime.

I had the same problem by overdosing ZeoStart2 and it took about 4 weeks until the slime disappear, than I adjusted my ZeoStart2 dosage to the optimum.

G.Alexander

Comment

Here are a couple of pics of the lovely stuff

Tom
      Current Tank: 75g sps restarted with ZEOvit August 2004, Aqua Connect 14K 250W SE MH x 2, SLS HQI ballasts, 54W blueplus T5s x 2, H&S A150 external (recirculating) skimmer, Tunze Stream 6060, 6000 with single controller, Geo Ca reactor, in-sump ZEOvit reactor from Madison, Aquacontroller

Comment

Tom, very frustrating, as Alexander & myself have also experienced this problem. The new ZS2 seems to be very concentrated, therefore, I agree with Alexander's assessment. I would recommend manually removing the slime daily by whatever means you choose[razor blade/toothbrush/baster] For your sytem, I recommend the following:
        1) dose 3/4ltrs zeolite @75gph
        2) dose 3/4 Cup carbon
        3) ZeoBak--2 drops, every other day for 2wks. with new zeolites, then 2 drops 2x's/wk.
        4) ZeoFood--1 drop as above
        5) ZeoStart2--2 drops 2x's/day daily
        6) Hold AAHC, PIF, Fe, etc. until the slime deposits have abated. Bob
        "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

So start2 and AAHC cause the slime more than bak or food7?

Tom

Comment

Yes, Tom, slime is mainly from excess of Start & AAHC/AALPS. By not dosing enough bak, one can not obtain the maximum effects from the ZEOvit method. With the new Start2, as Alexander has mentioned, decrease the Food quantity by 33-50%, as this regimen will allow the optimim benefits from all of the basic four components. Bob

Comment

Thanks Alexander and Bob

Tom

Comment

Tom, thanks for posting the pictures. I would lower the dosage as Bob mentioned.

Could you tell me how long you use ZeoStart2 now ?

Thanks,

G.Alexander

Comment

Alexander,

I have only been using start2 for 6 days now. I had the slime before I started using it, and I was not using start1. Therefore, I think it is from previous excessive dosing of AAHC and other supplements.

Hopefully, stopping the supplements for a while, and reducing start2, will help get rid of it.

Thanks again for your help.

Tom

Comment

Tom, I expect you will see the decrease of the slime within the next 4 weeks.

Please keep us up to date.

Thanks,

G.Alexander

Comment

Hi Tom, I'm positive the schedule above will energize the ZEOvit system to expediate removal of these nutrients over the next month or soBob

Comment

Working...
                      X