Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• this stuff is new to me

Hey guys.
    The way this tank is going I should be an expert on bad algea..I've never seen this stuff before.. PLEASE, what is it and what eats it? I think I might know but I don't want to hear it.

[email protected]

It starts witha B...

Bryopsis..??

ahahaha thats what I think it is.

Mine went away after I did BB, looks from the pic that you are BB...

IMO it is caused by bad water quality(poor skimmer), overfeeding, or not using reverse osmosis water.
    Proud owner of an Elegance Coral "that lived". (It is thriving whith long tentacle tips...purchased in January 2005.) It has white tentacle tips, I beleive this has something to do with ones that will typically live due to the collection site.

Comment

I am not an expert on algae identification but there is only one way it can grow like that and that is when there is too much fertilizer (aka nutrients) in the water.
      400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

Hi Mark, is this a ZEOvit tank? As Timon, said, this system is running nutrient-rich. The HA, btw, is Derbasia, which needs manual removal as it appears, along with nutrient reduction procedures. Bob
        "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

Greetings All !

It would appear to be a Derbasia species ... definitely. One of the things that makes Derbasia so difficult to control is that it demonstrates a variety of different reproductive patterns.

... needs manual removal as it appears, along with nutrient reduction procedures.
          Absolutely ... A tootbrush will be helpful with removal from the clam, and a long-term nutrient reduction strategy is the only way to really be "rid" of it.

Sprung suggests the following ...

Controls: Maintain alkalinity above 8 dKH, use phosphate export via protein skimming, algae filters, or phosphate absorbing media. Use toothbrushes to remove small patches. Herbivores.

Herbivores: Hermit crabs, Amphipods, Surgeonfish, Rabbitfish, Angelfish, Diadema urchin, Tuxedo urchin, Trochus snail, Turbo snail, Astrea snail, Limpets, Elysia spp. sea slugs.

Extracted from:
          Algae. A Problem Solver Guide, Sprung, Ricordea Publishing, 2002.
          Clearly some of these strategies are not compatable with ZEOvit methodology.

IME ... The herbivores cited by Sprung can all be very effective is managing initial and small Derbasia outbreaks, but large patches require manual removal. Derbasia outbreaks will persist until the "nutrients issue" is resolved.

HTH ...
          "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
          Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

This is probably the problem. I've had trouble with fish lately. The few that I have for over a year are all doing well. I added a few Anthias last month along with a small Atlantic blue tang. They all died in a matter of a few weeks. I could only find 2 or the 5 dead fish..I feed the fish maybe every other day. I use RO/DI (zero TDS off the RO) My nitrates test at zero along with po4's on the Salifert test kits...I'm going to test the water on Steve's PO4 meter today.

Bob, yes, this is a Zeovit system. As of late I haven't been too impressed with it.

I'm about ready to get rid of this whole system and start over. I've nothing but one problem after another since I started this tank over a year ago.
            [email protected]

Comment

A few dead fish decaying in your aquarium can definitely instigate an algae bloom and this could very well be what fuels the Derbesia.

On an unrelated note, feeding anthias every other day is not sufficient, should be more like two or three times daily in very small amounts.
              400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

Mark...

Sea Hare

SteveU
                “People are very open-minded about new things - as long as they're exactly like the old ones.”
                ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

Hi Mark, I certainly understand your frustration. I've been there beforeas has most of us If your corals are fine, then I would do a few extra things to help.
                  1) Manually remove the HA, hands/razor blade/toothbrush/turkey baster.
                  2) Add a extra PH to your sump to attack the "settling effect" more efficaciously to your skimmer & zeo-filter.
                  3) Add a PH or two to your main display, at least for a time to increase the quantity of the nutrients to the water column/overflows.
                  4) Increase your zeo-dosing quantities 50% for a time. Continue this unless visual cues of zeo-excess appear
                  5) Most important, believe that you can accomplish a beautiful reef . Bob
                  "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

You know Bob, its guys like you that keep my spirits up..thanks so much.

Originally posted by Orion76
                    On an unrelated note, feeding anthias every other day is not sufficient, should be more like two or three times daily in very small amounts.

yup, I knew that back when...that's what I did when I had em.

Originally posted by GTR
                    Mark...

Sea Hare

SteveU

Steve, Ron mentioned that a few weeks ago. I'm going to head over there today and pick up Fox face and see if he has a Sea Hare.. see ya in a few hours.
                    [email protected]

Comment

Mark you should just borrow Roland's sea hare

BTW, can you bring one of those 18's to Steve's today or am on the next week list?

Comment

Madison.
                        I had no idea you were going to Steve's today, if I would have known I would have kept it for you. Leo came over yesterday and cleaned me out.
                        [email protected]

Comment

who says Bryopsis isn't good...The PO4's on my RO\DI water is 09 and the tank water is 05...I tried to sale some of that Bryopsis at Steve's get together today but couldn't get any takers

I guess I'm color blind and or have two bad Salifert test kits.

needless to say I'll be replacing everything on my Spectrapure unit this week..
                          [email protected]

Comment

Goold ole bryopsis

At least now you know where the source of the problem is.

BTW, If possible get me some of those 60's you have. I'll take as many as you can get and you just let me know what you want for them.

Comment

Originally posted by OUinLA
                              Goold ole bryopsis

At least now you know where the source of the problem is.

BTW, If possible get me some of those 60's you have. I'll take as many as you can get and you just let me know what you want for them.

How about a new BK skimmer like Steve's I'll let you know when I get stocked up again. You want the 18 gal too?
                              [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X