Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tissue Thinning and Alk

Looking for some assistance.
    I am starting to see some serious tissue thinning on one of my acros and just recently installed my Zeo media reactor a week ago with new media. I believe the flow rate is around 70g per hour with .75L of media in the reactor. I am dosing .5ml of Start every morning and 3 drops of AA. Twice a week I am adding 3 drops of Bak, 5 drops of Food and 3 drops of Potasium. I am stirring the media twice a day 4 times each time.
    My Alk is low and I am having issues raising it. It's down at 5.8 +/- of .3 a day. I don't know what to attribute this drop to as it was stable for quite awhile at 7.4-8.0 before the change. My salinity is at 32-34ppt,po4 is around 20 and steadily dropping, Calcium is around 460 and Magnisium is at 1440ish.
    All the fish and other corals are doing quite well and showing signs that havent seen in a long time so I am a bit confused.
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Scott G.

Total water volume around 77g

Scott, what test kit are you using? What is the age of the kit? What means are you maintaining alk levels with?

Comment

Test kit is a Salifert kit that is about 6-8mos old. I have tried using B-Ionic,Kent 2 part- Kent Pro Buffer DKH and Seachem Reef Builder.
      Just checked my flow through the Zeo media and its at 50gph. This still ok or to low?

Thanks
      Last edited by DH_Freak; 04-14-2005, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Seems like an overdost of start1, but the low alk is mostlikely what sent it over the edge. I would hold start for 3-5 days and raise your alk to get it more in balance with you ca and Mg levels.
        Sean

Tank Specs:60g Cube SPS/Clam tank, ASM G1x Skimmer, DIY ZEOvit Reactor, 1x400w EVC 14k, Marine Life Aquatics CR-250 CaRx (RIP)

Not sure yet.....Build Thread to come!

Comment

Hi Scott, bological processes in our reef are acidic, including coral growth[uptale CaCo3]. Allow the Ca/Mg to drop down to the 420/1300 ranges, as these levels will enable you to maintain KH more easily. Use only Kent's DKH Super buffer, it's good & will not alter pH too drastically, while raising alk.
          I'd recommend slightly increasing your zeo-filter flow to the recommeded rate, while Holding all the zeo-dosing for 5-7 days until the coral tips recover. As Sean mentioned, when you restart your zeo-dosing, reduce the quantities to 1/2 their former amounts. Keep us updated, thnx. Bob
          "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

Working...
          X