Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to catch up with alk & calcium depletion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to catch up with alk & calcium depletion?

Hi guys, my tank depletes ~25ppm of calium & 2 dkh per day. How do i cover back the depleted elements? Cal reactor is out of my house, cause i do not have place for it. Had been dosing seachem calcium & mag daily. For Alk, i dosed aquaz buffer. Is there any other ways that i can reduce the dosing everyday(like few days dose 1 time).

Wow with a calcium demand like that I'd make place for a Ca reactor!
    400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

Originally posted by kamiru
      Hi guys, my tank depletes ~25ppm of calium & 2 dkh per day. How do i cover back the depleted elements? Cal reactor is out of my house, cause i do not have place for it. Had been dosing seachem calcium & mag daily. For Alk, i dosed aquaz buffer. Is there any other ways that i can reduce the dosing everyday(like few days dose 1 time).
      With such a high demand you have 2 possibilities, IMHO: dumping a lot of buk$ and time in liquid ca&alk buffers (daily! otherwise the values will move up and down to quickly) or make some room for a Ca reactor.
      Alessandro

Comment

What I'd be most concerned about with manual dosing is if you have to leave home for a week or so.
        400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Orion76
          What I'd be most concerned about with manual dosing is if you have to leave home for a week or so.
          Yup, that's my main concern. Any bro can help???

Comment

Kamiro, IMO over the time you will not save any $$ if you use the liquids. Another concern beside the holidays IMO is with every dosage you change the ion comparison in your tank. Most of the liquids, especially Ca and Mg contain chloride, so you add Ca or Mg plus chloride.

You also have to measure all parameters constant, because you will never have a constant consumption.

As often discussed the constant stability of KH, Ca, Mg and salinity is one of the keys to run a successful reef tank. If you add any of the liquids you will get a quick change in the level (s).

Another possibility would be constant water changes to balance the levels with a good salt. Practical this is also not easy.

As Alessandro mentioned, I would also provide space for a CaCO2 reactor.

Schuran for example offers a very slow reactor which is called JetStream Pico. You can find some information about it over here:

http://www.schuran.com/seawater/hobby_reaktoren_e.html

G.Alexander

Comment

Originally posted by G.Alexander
              As Alessandro mentioned, I would also provide space for a CaCO2 reactor.

Schuran for example offers a very slow reactor which is called JetStream Pico. You can find some information about it over here:

http://www.schuran.com/seawater/hobby_reaktoren_e.html

G.Alexander
              Dear Alexander~

What is slow reactor mean? the flow is slow?

www.spsholic.com

Comment

Vince, sorry this was a typing error. It should mean “small”

G.Alexander

Comment

lol makes sense now lol
                  Nick
                  Nick
                  180G SPS Mainly
                  10 Bulb T5 Starfire
                  Calcium Reactor
                  3 Tunze 6105's
                  Profilux Controller
                  ATB Return w/ wavysea
                  ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

What about using liquid Calc. and Alk. and putting them in a gravity doser? It is a cheap way of doing it (not the best way but hey it's better than nothing). I know how you feel. I don't have room or the $ for a calc. reactor so I have to dose 20ml of Calc. a day and 27ml of Alk. a day but I do it just by measurement.
                    You're Norma Desmond you used to be big.

I am big it's the pictures that got small.

From the classic movie "Sunset Boulevard"

Comment

Brad, using liquids is not cheaper at all. Once you own it a Ca reactor is almost free to run, while buying liquids becomes very expensive over time. 2 part solutions aint cheap.

Comment

I know it is not cheap but he is not worried about expense, he worried about room. If expense is not a big deal then try the gravity doser.

Comment

I agreee with Brad on this BUT calcium reactor will pay you back in the long run and also will keep everything leveled out
                          Nick
                          Nick
                          180G SPS Mainly
                          10 Bulb T5 Starfire
                          Calcium Reactor
                          3 Tunze 6105's
                          Profilux Controller
                          ATB Return w/ wavysea
                          ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Yeah, I can't wait until I can buy a calcium reactor one day.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Villeggiante
                              I know it is not cheap but he is not worried about expense, he worried about room. If expense is not a big deal then try the gravity doser.
                              everyone has room for a Pico

Comment

Working...
                              X