Zeovit and coralline algae

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zeovit and coralline algae

Randy Holmes Farley has stated on Reef Central that using Zeovit may impede coralline growth.

Just wondering if long time Zeo users agree or if you have plenty of coralline growth in your tanks
    400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Hi Timon, IME, using the ZEOvit method with lower nutrients & parameters at NSW levels, coralline algae is markedly less on my overflows, panes, & pump impellers than previously. Bob
    "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

Yes its true. I have brought my levels (Ca, Mg, etc) back to how I had my tank before ZEOvit and I had crazy coralline growth. I still get coralline growth here and there, but not as fast as I had it before. One thing that did change and I wont change back was the Alk levels. I had my Alk at 11 and now I have it at 8. Oh and another difference is that my PO4 is now at 0. Coralline algae is calcerous, but do you think by eliminating PO4 and reducing Alk, that its more of a low nutrient envirionment instead of just targeting ZEOvit? How about BB Aq's?

By the way, my levels right now read the following:

Mg 1400
      Ca 450
      S.G. 1.025
      Alk 8

Comment

I have only been using zeo for 6 weeks. My tank is barebottom. And I still have plenty of coralline. Alk is 8

Comment

I'm over the whole coraline thing and I'm glad to have reduced coraline growth with zeovit. my BB is starting to get a nice covering and that will do nicely.. have to agree with invinc about alk, I used to run crazy high alk too and had lots of coraline but what a pain it was to scrape it off the glass every week..

Comment

I definitely like the look of purple rock, although I've never seen any purple rocks on a real reef so it's not really natural to have the extreme coralline growth seen in some tanks.

I guess I'll just have to stack so many corals into my tank that you can't actually see any of the rock
            400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

So if coralline doesn't grow very well in a Zeovit system, how does Aiptasia fare?

Comment

Funny, back in the late 70's and early 80's a good coralline growth was a indicator of good health of the tank. The berlin method reduced nutrients at what was tought to be a "low" level compared to wet-dry systems.

Nowadays, the Berlin method "low" nutrient level should be called "medium-low" level, while zeovit allows true natural-low levels.

Coralline algae in the wild are restricted to low-light, high nutrient, low grazing environments. A Zeovit system is probably a high-light, low-nutrient environment from an ecological point of view, sometimes with grazing activities (urchins), and therefore it's inadequate for good coralline growth.
                Alessandro

Comment

Originally posted by Orion76
                  So if coralline doesn't grow very well in a Zeovit system, how does Aiptasia fare?
                  Not very well, because it seems that Aiptasia could be a plague in high-nutrient systems, but growth is limited in natural nutrient levels.
                  But I'm afraid the natural food you obtain by regularly shaking the zeolites is probably good food for Aiptasia too...
                  Alessandro

Comment

Greetings All !

Unfortunately, Aiptasia is able to reproduce and grow in my ZEOvit system. The good news is that the rate of reproduction, as well as the growth rate of individual Aiptasia, are significantly lower than in my Berlin-style systems.

HTH.
                    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
                    Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I agree with Edward.. I think the lack of Coralline algae growth is because of the lower Alk.. In my old tank I ran higher alk also and had major Coralline. I also dosed small amounts of strontium... I am BB now and still get Coralline algae in the shadows of my rock work....

Comment

Jeff is the coralline you get in the shadows the dark red type? I noticed my purple stopped spreading but the red is still growing on the undersides of the rocks and in shady spots.

Comment

No I am getting some deep purples and also some hot pink. I do have some red in reg light areas and on my faux BB sandbed.. The pinks and purples for me grow best in the shadows.... Oh yea I also run xm20k on 400 mh ballasts.. I think that maybe do to the fact you are using 10k also maybe that is bleaching your coralline out...

Comment

Working...
                          X