Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project/Demo coral (brown out)

Hello all!!!

Today (4/1/05) I picked up the "perfect speciman". I got this coral from www.reefermadness.us It has browned out but has a ton of potential. I thought it would be fun to take this one coral and document it's progression in a ZEOvit tank. I was told this coral is green with blue corallites. As you can see in the pic, we have our work cut out for us

A. robusta

and a top down

Specs/dosages:

30 gallon prop/holding tank. No sump, internal zeo reactor, external GroTech HEA 150, 1 250 SE 10K XM, 2x24W Blue Plus T5's, 2x24W Aqua Blue (11K) T5's, 1 Seio 650.

Blue lights on at 7:30pm
    MH on at 8:00pm
    Aqua blue 11k's on at 10:00pm

Aqua blue 11k's off at 2:00am
    MH off at 6:00am (might shorten this duration)
    Blue's off at 8:00am

Dosages:
    3 drops of ZEOstart 2 in the am, 3 drops in the PM (sometimes 2-3 drops between am and pm dosings)
    1-2 drops zeobac
    1-2 drops zeofood
    1/3 liter zeovit in internal reactor running 24/7 from the begining
    1 drop AAHC 2-3 times a week
    1 drop of PIF 2-3 times a week
    Iron.....Only if you guys want to see it
    ZEOspur2 1ml (only dosed one time on this tank 4 days ago, still waiting to find exact dosage)
    1ml per week of ZEOspurME.....will dose more if you guys suggest it
    1/3 cup of ZEOcarbon

I will post new pics anytime I see even the slightest change with this coral (good or bad). I would also like to get input from you all about what and when you want me to dose, so we can see how this coral responds. I won't add 5ml's of ZEOspur2 to speed things up

Hopefully this is, demonstrative, and educational in that we can see the effect/purpose of each product. But most important, I want this to be fun.

Today, I did dose AAHC and PIF along with the ZEOstart....before this coral was added.

This should be very interesting

How did you get a brownout from RM? Someone told me they sold them, but for the love of my I can't find any of their site..

Comment

They are local to me and I happened to be there this morning buying a few things and one of the employees suggested I try and revive a brownie.

They don't have a lot of brown outs. if you've been to their site you know that most of their stuff sells pretty darn quick. So yes, it will be very interesting to see what this one looks like

Comment

Hi Madison, I agree with Sean, this will be interesting. Plz. document changes if time permits. Bob
        "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

very interesting Madison..
          two questions..

1. Do you know this coral ID? I have an exactly same one.
          2. Your Zeovit reactor pump is not 3on/3off? just 24/7? (that means 24hours 7days?)

www.spsholic.com

Comment

7thheaven, its a Robusta.

Madison, this should be an easy one for you.

By the way.. i also had some brown frags that I was testing from other local reefers and they are not brown anymore. One was a Samoensis and those are suppose to be hard to color back up. I was trying to get a good shot of it.. but my camera sucks when its far away. Im getting a new Nikon 8800 in a week so I will take a pic then.

Comment

It would be cool to have a second none zeo tank with another brown specimen of the same species and see the different outcomes.
              400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

Timon, most of us have already done brown-outs before beginning ZEOvit method Your point here is well taken, for a better comparison. Thnx. Bob
                "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

Yes this is an A. robusta

I know it will color back up in good conditions. However, I think it will be neat to document any and all changes along the way and have a description of what each element is doing for the color enhancement.

I think everyone knows that colors improve in a a zeo system but we may not all know what each element is doing or when to use that specific element, or NOT use a certain element.

Comment

awesome idea
                    Nick
                    Nick
                    180G SPS Mainly
                    10 Bulb T5 Starfire
                    Calcium Reactor
                    3 Tunze 6105's
                    Profilux Controller
                    ATB Return w/ wavysea
                    ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

2. Your Zeovit reactor pump is not 3on/3off? just 24/7? (that means 24hours 7days?)
                      Thanks Madison...what is answer of number2?

www.spsholic.com

Comment

Brown out get colored on Zeo? Nah. Now the question is how fast will it color up
                        Sean

Tank Specs:60g Cube SPS/Clam tank, ASM G1x Skimmer, DIY ZEOvit Reactor, 1x400w EVC 14k, Marine Life Aquatics CR-250 CaRx (RIP)

Not sure yet.....Build Thread to come!

Comment

i say 1 month
                          Nick
                          Nick
                          180G SPS Mainly
                          10 Bulb T5 Starfire
                          Calcium Reactor
                          3 Tunze 6105's
                          Profilux Controller
                          ATB Return w/ wavysea
                          ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Originally posted by 7thheaven
                            very interesting Madison..
                            two questions..

1. Do you know this coral ID? I have an exactly same one.
                            Yes, I run the reactor constantly. I never turn it off.

Comment

so y r we doin 3 on 3 off ????
                              Nick
                              Nick
                              180G SPS Mainly
                              10 Bulb T5 Starfire
                              Calcium Reactor
                              3 Tunze 6105's
                              Profilux Controller
                              ATB Return w/ wavysea
                              ATB M External Skimmer

Comment