Forget to change or expired zeolite.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forget to change or expired zeolite.

Forget to change expired zeolite cause anything? Then what next if change after only 1 month later?
    Bob.. Answer pls..
    Thks

How long have you let the zeos go? How many weeks and what change out are you on? Have your corals turned brown at all?

Comment

I just noticed increasing cleaning of the glass and a white film on my Seio and overflow box.But i think it was only 2 weeks past my change out time...HTH

Comment

Originally posted by gqjeff
        How long have you let the zeos go? How many weeks and what change out are you on? Have your corals turned brown at all?

No my corals have not turned brown..

I have last changed my zeolite on 29 Jan 05. The 3rd change will be?? Not so sure. Now dosage is

Zeostart 3ml every Wed and Sat per week.
        Zeobak 10 drops every Wed and Sat per week.
        Zeofood 10 drops every Wed and Sat per week.

My tank volume is 400gal (net) using 2 diy reactor with each 1.5litre zeolites.
        NO3 = 0.2ppm (since day 1 it was 0.5ppm) Phosphate = undetectable (day1 same)
        Ca = 420ppm, kH = 7 to 8dkH, Mg = 1300ppm

Pls advise.

Comment

You are going on 8 weeks.. I would put 1.5 liters in one of the reactors and then a week later add the other 1.5.. I went 8 weeks once and when I changed out my 2 liters I lost 2 wild colonies. The new zeolites stripped to water so fast of anything the corals couldn't handle it.. I know Todd March had a similiar experience also.. I have talked with Bob aka Aged Salt about this at the time and he came to the conclusion to only add half the zeos at first. Then add the other half a week later.. I am sure Bob will chim in to confirm this or maybe this will not be the case for you..

Comment

You are going on 8 weeks.. I would put 1.5 liters in one of the reactors and then a week later add the other 1.5.. I went 8 weeks once and when I changed out my 2 liters I lost 2 wild colonies. The new zeolites stripped to water so fast of anything the corals couldn't handle it.. I know Todd March had a similiar experience also.. I have talked with Bob aka Aged Salt about this at the time and he came to the conclusion to only add half the zeos at first. Then add the other half a week later.. I am sure Bob will chim in to confirm this or maybe this will not be the case for you..

Oh sure, you got a point there. Better be safe than sorry.

ANyway, I have always cleaning the glass everyday before of algea flim on it. Now with zeovit, only see some slight white particles on them. Happy that now the nutirent is near zero.

Comment

Stanley, as Jeff mentioned, when one goes out too long on the stone replacement, a abrupt changes when the zeolites are exchanged may occur. I've gone out 8wks. w/o difficulty, while the next person[Jeff, Todd] may have coral consequences If you do not follow Jeff's plan & exchange all the zeolites at once, be sure to decrease the filter flow by 50% for the first 2wks. then ramp the flow back to the norm. This will slow any abrupt changes occurring within your reef. Also decrease the zeo-dosages for the next 6wks, as follows:
              Bak/Food--8drops ea. every other day for two wks. then 8drops ea. 2x's/wk
              Start1--2ml daily[best to divide this into 1ml 2x's/day] Bob
              "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

Originally posted by Aged Salt
                Stanley, as Jeff mentioned, when one goes out too long on the stone replacement, a abrupt changes when the zeolites are exchanged may occur. I've gone out 8wks. w/o difficulty, while the next person[Jeff, Todd] may have coral consequences If you do not follow Jeff's plan & exchange all the zeolites at once, be sure to decrease the filter flow by 50% for the first 2wks. then ramp the flow back to the norm. This will slow any abrupt changes occurring within your reef. Also decrease the zeo-dosages for the next 6wks, as follows:
                Bak/Food--8drops ea. every other day for two wks. then 8drops ea. 2x's/wk
                Start1--2ml daily[best to divide this into 1ml 2x's/day] Bob
                Hi Bob,

I am currently using 3 litres or more zeolite in my 2 reactors which i have difficulty in pumping as it really very hard to pump and looks clumsy.

I am going to use 2 litres of zeolite for my 2 reactor with 1lit each so that i can pump easily.

1. What must i do or any repercussion on this? Or must i run the flow slower or faster? Or must i change more regularly then others?

2. As mentioned, 3ml of zeostart i am using, Bob you said i should go for 2ml instead? Anyway what will happen if dosing less for zeostart? or more for zeostart?

3. I am dosing zeobak and zeofood with 10 drops each, 2 times per week, so must i switch to 8 drops every other day until the 8th wk change to 8drops twice weekly?

Appreciate you can enlighten me, a fellower of zeoMaster.

Comment

Hi Stanley, pix. of your corals appearances are wonderful, therefore, I'd be hesitant to use less of the zeolites for your system, as these are the heart of the ZEOvit method. I use the large GroTech which has functioned well for nearly one year with 4ltrs. of stones with only a occasional problem with pumpimg that is easily relieved with twisting the handle around the tube. If you do use less than the guide recommendations, follow the guide's flow rate based on the quanity used. Of course, using less per net water volume, will deplete their life more rapidly, but you should be able to tell as the corals become "dull" & diatom build-up on the panes is more apparent, say around 4wks, instead of the normal 6wks.
                  Initially, with ZEOvit[first few mos, especially] the zeo-dosing will need to be adjusted downward as the nutrients are being depleted, until much later when one has arrived at a balanced, maintenance dosage. Excess zeo's will be noticeable with more brownish/green film accumulation on your panes, slime formation on your LR's & coral tissue recession at the tips & bases--> to TN of the corals Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Aged Salt
                    Hi Stanley, pix. of your corals appearances are wonderful, therefore, I'd be hesitant to use less of the zeolites for your system, as these are the heart of the ZEOvit method. I use the large GroTech which has functioned well for nearly one year with 4ltrs. of stones with only a occasional problem with pumpimg that is easily relieved with twisting the handle around the tube. If you do use less than the guide recommendations, follow the guide's flow rate based on the quanity used. Of course, using less per net water volume, will deplete their life more rapidly, but you should be able to tell as the corals become "dull" & diatom build-up on the panes is more apparent, say around 4wks, instead of the normal 6wks.
                    Initially, with ZEOvit[first few mos, especially] the zeo-dosing will need to be adjusted downward as the nutrients are being depleted, until much later when one has arrived at a balanced, maintenance dosage. Excess zeo's will be noticeable with more brownish/green film accumulation on your panes, slime formation on your LR's & coral tissue recession at the tips & bases--> to TN of the corals Bob

Hmm.. Thanks for your advise.

Looks like i need another reactor, as i have trouble pumping the reactor. I can only lift the handle to maximum 4inch, and i wonder such limitation would be ineffective as those sentiments or mulms would not be enough. So with 400G net volume i should have 4 litres of zeolites but now only using 3 litres.
                    Should i increase it to 4?

Comment

Stanley, 3 to 4 ltrs. zeolite is fine, but I'd recommend trying 4ltrs with the appropriate flow rate. You will observe even more water clarity & enhanced coral colors, growth, as your nutrients will drop even lower. I only can move my stone disc about 1" & this works perfectly to pump-clean the stones. Bob

Comment

Stanley, I only pump my reactor about 2 inches up and down.. I get plenty of mulm off that action.. I usually pump it 30-40 times or about 30-45 seconds... I also pump 3-4 times daily as I work 2 minutes from my house... Very convenient for me...

Comment

Stanley, I only pump my reactor about 2 inches up and down.. I get plenty of mulm off that action.. I usually pump it 30-40 times or about 30-45 seconds... I also pump 3-4 times daily as I work 2 minutes from my house... Very convenient for me...
                          Wow, 30 to 40 times and 3-4 times daily? Holy smoke. U live in aquarium fantasy!

Comment

Working...
                          X