Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ready but my levels are off, start or wait?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ready but my levels are off, start or wait?

I'm finally ready to start Zeovit. Got recommendations from Aged salt a few weeks ago.

I have collected the various zeo-additives, got a reactor from Madison, and put the plumbing together this weekend to start the system, and I thought I should check my levels before I began.

Here are the levels I have

Ca - 330 salifert
    Mg - 890 salifert
    Dkh - 8.5 salifert
    Ph - 8.2 red sea
    spec grav. - 1.025 refractometer
    PO4 - 0.15 - red sea
    No3 -0.0 - red sea
    ammonia - 0.0 red sea
    Nitrite - 0.0 red sea

Here is my question,

Should I start zeo with my Ca and Mg low, or should I wait the 4-6 weeks to get my Ca reactor built and installed, and bring the levels up before starting the zeo? The 4-6 weeks is build time for the custom reactor.

I know I can bring the levels up with additives temporarily if needed, but I don't have experience with 2-part additives, and I've been told not to use kalk anymore if going to Zeovit.

Suggestions are welcome.

Hi Bob you should easily maintain your Ca/Mg/KH levels with Oceanic salt 5-10% changes weekly, once you correct the low Ca/Mg levels with CaCl [Kent's Turbo-Ca]& epsom salts[Seachem's Reef advantage Mg]. Remember the Ca Rx will not raise the parameters for you just maintain the levels in a stable fashion. Bob
    "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

I would first try to bring the water parameters in-line and stabile before starting zeo. While you start with zeo the environment will change enormous so changing the “main” parameters at the same time will additional stress your corals which is not necessary.

Rising the parameters with a Ca reactor plus Bobs recommended water changes IMO is the best way to adjust them. I would not use any chloride (Ca, Mg) to rise the levels, this will change the ion comparison of the water by adding chloride.

By the way

G.Alexander

Comment

Originally posted by G.Alexander
        I would first try to bring the water parameters in-line and stabile before starting zeo. While you start with zeo the environment will change enormous so changing the “main” parameters at the same time will additional stress your corals which is not necessary.

Rising the parameters with a Ca reactor plus Bobs recommended water changes IMO is the best way to adjust them. I would not use any chloride (Ca, Mg) to rise the levels, this will change the ion comparison of the water by adding chloride.

G.Alexander
        What do you mean when you say "I would not use any chloride (Ca, Mg) to rise the levels, this will change the ion comparison of the water by adding chloride." Are you saying that all calcium and magnesium supplements are bad?

Comment

Excess Cl elements, especially in a low-nutrient environment[phase 3] can be damaging to our corals. In Germany, this is called the Balling method, ie. chronic supplementation of Ca with CaCl & Mg with MgCl[Kent's Mg] & KH maintenance with buffer, w/o the use of a Ca Rx. IME, these are fine to use, especially before adding ZEOvit on board, for a short time in order to boost the parameters inline with NSW, then maintain these #'s with a Ca Rx. It is imperative to minimize these daily increases in parameters such that they are not excessive, to avoid coral tissue loss. Bob

Comment

So does this mean that I can't use B-ioinic anymore and Kent's DKH Buffer for my Calc, and Alk. If so this is a bit of a problem for me because I can't get a CA reactor. These two supplements are my only way of maintaining the correct levels, and I already use Oceanic.
            You're Norma Desmond you used to be big.

I am big it's the pictures that got small.

From the classic movie "Sunset Boulevard"

Comment

Hi Brad, actually your manual method is a more "balanced" ionic addition which has served you well thus far, w/o the excess of Cl being added. Bob

Comment

Working...
              X