Nitrogen Limitation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nitrogen Limitation

Is nitrogem limitation a problem ? I hear a lot of talk (non zeoheads) about it being an issue when keeping sps. What are they talking about?

What is it ?
    Nick
    Nick
    180G SPS Mainly
    10 Bulb T5 Starfire
    Calcium Reactor
    3 Tunze 6105's
    Profilux Controller
    ATB Return w/ wavysea
    ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Greetings All !

Is nitrogem limitation a problem ?
      If you're asking within the context of Thomas Pohl's methodology, given the growth rates that I have observed in my own ZEOvit system ... and that others have reported in their ZEOvit systems ... I wouldn't think so. But it's a fascinating question ... at least to my warped little mind ... I'm not aware of any definitive literature demonstrating nitrogen uptake mechanisms in specific SPS species.
      I hear a lot of talk (non zeoheads) about it being an issue when keeping sps. What are they talking about?
      Do you have any links to the literature cited in those discussions? TIA!

While others in other cyber-spaces might consider my perspective "behind the times", I tend to look at "nitrogen limitation" within the frameworks described by folks like Atkinson, Wellington, Ferrier-Pages, Hough-Guldberg, Bythell, Bak, Sorokin, Sebens ... but who knows what the next issue of Marine Ecology Progress Series ... and other peer reviewed literature ... will bring. JMO ... FWIW.

BTW, for anyone interested ...
      Marine Ecology Progress Series (MEPS)
      http://www.int-res.com/journals/meps/index.html
      "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
      Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Read the article in Coral magazine , Feb/March issue. It is titled Nutrients in the reef aquarium , part VI . They mention adding ammonium chloride solutions . Is this not the same thing we are all trying to eliminate????

Comment

JMille, as Gary mentioned with the ZEOvit method nutrient limitation negatively affecting corals is very difficult, especially if one has fish in the reef. It is true that in phase 3, our corals are more sensitive to "bad" salt or excess elemental additions. If this is a concern, simply adding more fish or increased feeding would suffice. Do not add any extra nitrogen[carbon] sources or extra trace elements. Remember, if your corals are growing, nutrient limitation is not possible Bob
          "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

is it Nitirtea and nitrates ur talkin about here ?
            Nick
            Nick
            180G SPS Mainly
            10 Bulb T5 Starfire
            Calcium Reactor
            3 Tunze 6105's
            Profilux Controller
            ATB Return w/ wavysea
            ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Working...
            X