CL Intake Questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CL Intake Questions.

Oh, I was curious about the way I should have my 60g cube drilled.

I'm going to be using a Dart pump with 4 returns. I was told to have a 2'' intake or maybe 2.

Would there be an advantage to putting these intakes behind the rocks where it forces water to flow throughout the rocks hopefully keeping things from settling? Or would placing them in this area possible hinder their intake ability?

To prevent little critters from going into them, I was going to put a screen over them.

I may have a SSB ontop of starboard.

I'm doing the same thing. I have my intake on the back glass at the very bottom. I will hide it with a rock, but I will be it unobstructed. The Dart needs a 2" input. I would do it that way instead of making 2

Comment

Ok, so 1 input center in the back lower wall. I like how I can cover it up. What I planning on doing is developing a rac so that theres a "cave" around the intake so it has 4 or so inches in front of it that are unobstructed.

What do you think?

Comment

Sean, you can get a 'screen' that will fit your two inch bulkhead. I might have an extra one here, if you can't get one when you get your bulk head.

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewIt...product=FT8588
        --Matt

Comment

Cool Tonka

I may actually make a trip home when I have all the parts to get you assistance in plumbing a mockup.

Comment

any time - it will help me for when I upgrade to a cube too!

Hey have you thought about an ocean motions 4 way for your CL?
            --Matt

Comment

I think a pair of 1.5" intakes would be better. That would give you 50% more flow at the intake side than a single 2" intake, so you can have screens and a little bit of clogging without starving the pump. Also, the suction at each intake will be reduced which can be better for the animals that wander into the intake's path.

Still, with this big of a closed loop I wouldn't recommend keeping any anemones or cukes, because it's only a matter of time before they get shredded.

Comment

Actually Matt, I've been thinking about that ALOT. You can have them make an OM to your design pattern wise. I'm pretty sure I'm going to do that and have my sump just be a static return.

Great minds think alike

Now, I had planned to have 2 returns in the front on the bottom, but I wonder, in a 60g cube if they would really be an advantage or not. They would be in the way and not look as pretty, but if they are worth it, I'll do it. Or perhaps I should have 2 returns from the back and 2 returns from the top front; however, I wanted to simply utilize a pendant, that would have plumbing visible..I don't like that idea.

As for Anems and cukes, I don't intend to have any, but I will consider the dual 1.5'' intakes.

Comment

Are you gonna use a OM ?
                  Nick
                  Nick
                  180G SPS Mainly
                  10 Bulb T5 Starfire
                  Calcium Reactor
                  3 Tunze 6105's
                  Profilux Controller
                  ATB Return w/ wavysea
                  ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

I too have seriously been looking at OM for the cube I am planning. I also think the 2 intakes is a good idea - remember the draw on that single 2"? I am thinking maybe doing the 8 way version. I would put 2 returns on each side of the tank - one high, one low - offset. Two returns along the back of the tank. And then 2 returns at the top front of the tank. I was also thinking about having the 2 returns in the back static, as well as the 2 up front - then have the 4 on the sides switch. I am still thinking about that. I am also planning on have a single static line to the sump.

Some of the plumbing would be visable, but I was planning on painting the back of the tank black and figured I would paint the plumbing black as well. Yeah it will still be visable, but not near as much.
                    --Matt

Comment

You can also get black PVC from Savko. I just ordered a few elbows to use on my return nozzles in the tank. It's more expensive than regular PVC, but you only need a little bit of it - just for the stuff in the tank.

Comment

yeah that's not bad, but my problem would be that I never seem to be able to get everything I need first time. So I would have to place another order once I realized I needed another part.
                        --Matt

Comment

order it before hand that way ur not stuck wit ur d!ck in ur hands also go over the list 10x and u will not forget draw a diagram how its gonna be and go over and over and over it and u should be fine
                          Nick
                          Nick
                          180G SPS Mainly
                          10 Bulb T5 Starfire
                          Calcium Reactor
                          3 Tunze 6105's
                          Profilux Controller
                          ATB Return w/ wavysea
                          ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Nick, stop using booble and Mr.LittleNick won't be in your hands

Matt, how are you going to manage 2 returns on every side without eliminating all the viewing panels, or are you coming from the top and bottom?

Comment

LMAO good one Sean im guessing hes comin from the sump over the top to each side
                              Nick
                              Nick
                              180G SPS Mainly
                              10 Bulb T5 Starfire
                              Calcium Reactor
                              3 Tunze 6105's
                              Profilux Controller
                              ATB Return w/ wavysea
                              ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Working...
                              X