Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bubble algae / velonia

Hi all,

Any advise on getting rid of this naturally, instead of picking them out? Any fish or invertebrate that will eat this? I am in the 5th weeks of my Zeovit system, will Zeovit kill them or reduce them?
    Thanks

Radiolunatic,

The system can help with them, but this is nothing which happens within one day. I have observed a slow decrease. If you like to reduce them in a short period, I would recommend you a Naso vlamingii. Be careful, this fish becomes around 70 cm and I would call him a medium grower

G.Alexander

Comment

emrald crabs eat tehm
      Nick
      Nick
      180G SPS Mainly
      10 Bulb T5 Starfire
      Calcium Reactor
      3 Tunze 6105's
      Profilux Controller
      ATB Return w/ wavysea
      ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

sorry to bring this thread back alive, but would all unicornfish dine on bubble algae? Or just the vlamingii?

I'm about to start Zeo here after i get my reactor, and we're having a pretty substantial outbreak of the bubbles (single and the weird "cluster" form). Was wondering if zeo would actually help get rid of the algae as i heard it kills refugia due to lack of water nutrients...

Comment

I have observed to bubble algae does not disappear in nutrient poor tanks, but their growth is much weaker and with the addition of a suitable fish, they are not a problem any more.

G.Alexander

Comment

Greetings All !

Radiolunatic ...

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
            Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I have a Gold/Orange Spotted Rabbitfish and A Scribbled Rabbitfish who eats the Bubble Algae. Hope this helps...

www.zeovitusa.com

Comment

Greetings All !

Sprung lists Surgeonfish, Rabbitfish, Diadema urchins, Mithraculus (Emerald) and Pitho spp. crabs, and Erocolania endophytophaga (a seaslug) as potential Valonia consuming herbivores.

Eric is quite correct ... as usual ... regarding Rabbitfish as potentially excellent Valonia consumers ...

... if only they didn't sometimes develop a taste for mushrooms ...

HTH
                "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
                Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

My doliatus rabbitfish destroyed valonia - all of it. Haven't seen it since, and my system is more nutrient rich and sunlit than most (unfortunately and fortunately respectively).

I believe virgatus and corallinus rabbits also eat it, if not all. Siganus magnificus are very attractive but get massive and might get too big. Wet Web says nine inches, but I've seen a really large one that seemed bigger than that.

Doliatus (scribbled? - S. spinus looks referred to also, but that doesn't look like a trade species) are a nice fish. I second that. Emeralds didn't work for my system, a doliatus did. (not my photo)

They need a lot of algae - fast metabolisms. I lost mine on vacation when my tank-sitter fed dry food, which isn't enough. One of my favorite fish. I'd like one again someday.

Mine didn't eat 'shrooms.

Comment

I have had good experience with a foxface rabbitfish and a sailfin tang. They kept the valonia to a minimum. Unfortunately, both were removed due to developing a taste for my sps. I just added a blonde naso a couple weeks ago. He is starting to eat it and I hope he will really go after it soon.

Comment

Working...
                    X