Rust Effects on a closed system.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust Effects on a closed system.

I was just curious, what would rust do in our systems or is this still unknown?

I've got rust in the system by various means over the years, never noticed a negative effect, although there may have been one I don't know.
    My snippers I use for cutting frags are totally rusted out, recently a guy came to buy a frag & I cut it in front of him with the rusty snips, he freaked. But I just told him I've never had a bad effect & said the frag was guaranteed, heard back later everything was fine.

Comment

Awesome thanks!

Comment

Sean... where do you suspect/expect the rust to come from?
        SteveU
        “People are very open-minded about new things - as long as they're exactly like the old ones.”
        ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

Oh, I was just curious, about the use of tweezers and cutters in the tank that are metal and eventually rust.

Thats all

Comment

lol i went and bought new cuters tiday due to the rust on my old ones
            Nick
            Nick
            180G SPS Mainly
            10 Bulb T5 Starfire
            Calcium Reactor
            3 Tunze 6105's
            Profilux Controller
            ATB Return w/ wavysea
            ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Using a rusty tool around the tank every now and then should not cause a problem, however a piece of metal rusting in the tank will give you algae problems.
              400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

i use some tools ordered to my dentist They rust anyway with time :crap:

Comment

Titanium surgery tools would be best, not sure where to get those though

I'm sure they have some good bone snipping pliers perfect for fragging.
                  400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

here's one

http://store.tackletogo.com/doncp850exti.html

hmmmm, I can buy 10 stainless steel cutters for the same price

Comment

Originally posted by Orion76
                      Using a rusty tool around the tank every now and then should not cause a problem, however a piece of metal rusting in the tank will give you algae problems.
                      I agree with Timon, I've always used rusted tools[it happens] w/o any consequences. Bob
                      "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

yeah i bought it just in case lol
                        Nick
                        Nick
                        180G SPS Mainly
                        10 Bulb T5 Starfire
                        Calcium Reactor
                        3 Tunze 6105's
                        Profilux Controller
                        ATB Return w/ wavysea
                        ATB M External Skimmer