Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feeding a hungry skimmer (Non ZEO Related)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeding a hungry skimmer (Non ZEO Related)

Hi guys
    I need to make a decision on how best to feed my skimmer. The tank I’m setting up is a 120g 4x2x2 with a center overflow. The return pump (Pan World 150) is only pumping back a little over 600 gph through 5 outlets. 4 in tank and 1 into a little 20g frag tank which drains back into the main tank. I have a stream in the tank for additional flow. The overflow has (2) 1 ½” drains. I can think of 3 ways that I can set this up.

1) I can come off one of the overflow pipes and plumb up and over the side of the sump (29g) to a ball valve to regulate water to the skimmer. I figure that I will get about 300-400 gph of water flow but I will also get a lot of larger bubbles which may impair the skimmer performance.

2) I can use the line that goes to the frag tank to feed the skimmer which is easy to do but I will further cut down the flow that goes to the returns unless I get a bigger pump. (I don’t really want to get a bigger pump because of the extra electricity).

3) Just get a feed pump.

I know that any of the listed can feed the skimmer I am just wondering which is best. I like #1 but worry about the larger bubbles reeking havoc with any foam that forms.
    Any suggestions or constructive comments are welcome.
    BTW The skimmer is a Deltec 851.
    Thanks

Colin
    120 BB w/20g BB side tank, 29g sump, (2) 250w RO III, 14k AC, Bluewave VII ballast, Deltec 851, Panworld 150 return, (2) 6000 Streams w/controller, AC II Controller w/(2) DC4, GEO 618 CR.

If at first it doesn't fit get a bigger hammer - Beat to fit paint to match

Hi Colin, you've thought this out well. I personally have found it easier to use a dedicated feed-pump that can be adjusted w/o always readjusting sump levels & water flow patterns throughout the system. Bob
    "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

I think everyone says it's best to feed the skimmer water from the overflow... just nobody does it. This may be really needed if your skimmer is undersized.

My thought is that if you have enough skimming capacity that it really won't matter much in the long run once the skimmer has removed most of the nutrients.

SteveU
      “People are very open-minded about new things - as long as they're exactly like the old ones.”
      ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

I know that the skimmer is way oversized for the tank. I like a good buffer incase something goes wrong and when I do upgrade the tank I won’t have to replace it. The most practical solution I guess would be to just get a good feed pump although I would have liked to have stayed away from another pump.
        Thanks and much appreciation.

Colin
        120 BB w/20g BB side tank, 29g sump, (2) 250w RO III, 14k AC, Bluewave VII ballast, Deltec 851, Panworld 150 return, (2) 6000 Streams w/controller, AC II Controller w/(2) DC4, GEO 618 CR.

If at first it doesn't fit get a bigger hammer - Beat to fit paint to match

Comment

Working...
        X