Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZEOSpur and Coral Health.

I was just thinking about something..

Since ZEOSpur is used to expulse zoox out of the coral wouldn't this hinder health and growth? The zoox are being used to prove nutrients for the coral; if you get rid of an significant amount the coral then has less intake and therefore possibly weakened?

Also, growth wise, wouldn't the lack of zoox and the period of build up cause a lull in growth?

Just curious..

So with those thoughts... brown corals should grow best?

SteveU
    “People are very open-minded about new things - as long as they're exactly like the old ones.”
    ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

ZeoSpur2, does result in color changes & new growth. Spur2 rids old zoox, while allowing replacement with new young zoox. which will be more active in energy gathering for our corals. This new more efficient energy-gaining zoox. may spur growth within our corals with the result, stronger, healthier corals. Of course, like most things in life, excess quantities can have negative consequences for our corals[unhealthy] This entire process may help growth by three means: 1) production of new zoox replace the older less efficient zoox, resulting in more efficient photosynthesis. 2) Less zoox. to compete for energy[food] with the host corals. 3) a lower zoox. population, may facilitate alternative coral energy modes, such as absorption of nutrients, mulm, bacteria-plankton & dosed supplements[AA's] in the waters. Bob
      "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

Awesome Bob

Comment

like always lol
          Nick
          Nick
          180G SPS Mainly
          10 Bulb T5 Starfire
          Calcium Reactor
          3 Tunze 6105's
          Profilux Controller
          ATB Return w/ wavysea
          ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

I just dosed my 2nd dose of spur 2 this morning and now it has been about 10 hours and I can see amazing results. The stuff is awesome.

Comment

O I CANT WAIT lol
              Nick
              Nick
              180G SPS Mainly
              10 Bulb T5 Starfire
              Calcium Reactor
              3 Tunze 6105's
              Profilux Controller
              ATB Return w/ wavysea
              ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Yes it is awesome for sure.. I have noticed improved growth after dosing aswell....

Comment

Actually...

2) Less zoox. to compete for energy[food] with the host corals.

3) a lower zoox. population, may facilitate alternative coral energy modes, such as absorption of nutrients, mulm, bacteria-plankton & dosed supplements[AA's] in the waters. Bob

It's been some time since I had Marine biology, but I believe both of these are incorrect. The zoox produces energy that is useable by the coral, why else do corals die when they bleach(the expulsion of all zoox).

Absorption of bacteria and supplements is done via the polyps, we're not increasing the polyp count, we're decreasing the count of zoox.

Zoox produces the energy utilized by the coral to grow and produce other absorbed materials.

Comment

one more month and ill be posting my reveiws
                    Nick
                    Nick
                    180G SPS Mainly
                    10 Bulb T5 Starfire
                    Calcium Reactor
                    3 Tunze 6105's
                    Profilux Controller
                    ATB Return w/ wavysea
                    ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Originally posted by SeanCallan
                      Actually...

2) Less zoox. to compete for energy[food] with the host corals.

3) a lower zoox. population, may facilitate alternative coral energy modes, such as absorption of nutrients, mulm, bacteria-plankton & dosed supplements[AA's] in the waters. Bob

It's been some time since I had Marine biology, but I believe both of these are incorrect. The zoox produces energy that is useable by the coral, why else do corals die when they bleach(the expulsion of all zoox).

Absorption of bacteria and supplements is done via the polyps, we're not increasing the polyp count, we're decreasing the count of zoox.

Zoox produces the energy utilized by the coral to grow and produce other absorbed materials.
                      Hi Sean, all of the above is just theory to fit the actual observations that one sees with our corals, given the fact that our corals experience acclerated growth with expulsion of "old", "worn-out" zoox. & replacement with new, more energy-producing zoox, albeit, less populated. Corals use less energy to host a heavier population of zoox. therefore, it has more energy for other things, such as growth. Also it's been demonstrated that corals can utilize the above[mulm, AA's etc] from their coral mucus, & possibly, the corals adapt alternative absorptive mechanisms for their energy source & therefore, rely less for their energy needs on the photsynthetic by-products of the zoox. Of course, when a coral goes into shut-down syndrome, it expels their zoox. as a energy conservation measure, &/or the zoox leave in an effort to find a new symbiotic, viable host. Bob
                      "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

As you know Sean we dont really know much about these corals
                        Sean

Tank Specs:60g Cube SPS/Clam tank, ASM G1x Skimmer, DIY ZEOvit Reactor, 1x400w EVC 14k, Marine Life Aquatics CR-250 CaRx (RIP)

Not sure yet.....Build Thread to come!

Comment

Yeah what Bob said .....lol
                          Nick
                          Nick
                          180G SPS Mainly
                          10 Bulb T5 Starfire
                          Calcium Reactor
                          3 Tunze 6105's
                          Profilux Controller
                          ATB Return w/ wavysea
                          ATB M External Skimmer