I treated for Red Bugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I treated for Red Bugs

Hey Guys I treated for Red Bugs yesterday with Dustin's Interceptor treatment. Everything looks great this morning. Better polyp extension once again. I didnt have red bugs for the longest time, but ended up doing some frag trading and new livestock purchases from LFS's. This Interceptor should win the Noble Prize.

Oh one other thing.. the red bugs are internationally known. I was reading a Chinese thread from 2 yrs ago and a lot of SPS reefers in China had these bugs too.

Edward, I guess I should look a little more closely as I've not noticed them to date. Could you give the Interceptor dosing scheule? Thnx. Bob
    "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

Each pill treats 380-400g. In my case, i just eye the pill and chisel with a knife. I just turn off my skimmer, remove carbon and then mix the pill in water. I let it sit in the cup for a while until its fully dissolved. Then I treat. Wait 6 hrs and make sure all pumps are running. I turn my skimmer on for about 10 secs every so often to clean out the skimmer water chamber as well. After 6 hrs, do a 25% WC. Treat 3 times over the course of a month. I removed all shrimp before this procedure as they will most likely die. I placed the shrimp back in after the 7 hrs and they are all alive and doing well this morning.

Here are Dustin Dortons procedures:

http://reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=45859

Comment

Edward, then the zeo-filter is left "on"? Do you use a different carbon for the Interceptor removal? If so, how long & how much quantity? What happens to the Acrocrabs? Plz. invulge me a little here, as I've not read any details regarding same Bob

Comment

Edward,
          I wonder how the Chinese treated it? Did Dustin get the idea from them? I have not had them yet thank god, but have some on standby just in case

Comment

Bob, yes I did leave the zeofilter on. I use Kents carbon.. i had already changed it out a week ago.. and I just took it out and rinsed it and put it back in after the water change. Just use the same quantity you have been using before. Most ornamental acrocrabs will die. Sorry!

Scott, the chinese were actually following RC's threads about the red bugs. So its safe to say that Dustin came up with this idea.

Comment

Thnx. for the good info, Edward Bob

Comment

Edward,

Were there any other deaths that you can see?

I have been on the fence about this for some time, it just scares the bejesus out of me, I have had the interceptor for about a month or two, just cannot pull the trigger, but I did set up a nano for the shrimp and crabs just in case I have to do it.........

How did the corals react overall during the treartment?

Thanks John,

BTW, I hope no one here minds me registering, I do not use the Zeo yet, but it seems that I cannot ask any more questions about the BK either.......
                IF IT IS WORTH DOING, TAKE YOUR TIME AND DO IT RIGHT..........

Comment

John,

I had ZERO problems. Nothing died except the red bugs. Corals look better with polyp extension too. Fish are swimming backwards though.. just kidding.

Comment

I haven't heard of anyone losing any corals w/ interceptor treatment. All my acro crabs died, but my cleaner, blood, and cb shrimps all lived. I did all 3 treatments just incase the bugs came back.

Naka

Comment

do it man....you and your corals will love it.

if on the fence...think of it this way: think about having baseballs stuck to you with a 5 inch needles sticking into sucking blood out of you 24/7. Sound pleasant? :p

really, polyp extension and growth will be crazy.!
                      Proud owner of an Elegance Coral "that lived". (It is thriving whith long tentacle tips...purchased in January 2005.) It has white tentacle tips, I beleive this has something to do with ones that will typically live due to the collection site.

Comment

nice analogy adam.

the bugs definitiley irritate a coral.

Comment

Edward,

ahh nice Thank goodness for Dustin..

Comment

Working...
                          X