Alage ??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alage ??????

I have this red fuzzy alage growing on my durso stand pipe what is it ???? and why is it there ????
    Nick
    Nick
    180G SPS Mainly
    10 Bulb T5 Starfire
    Calcium Reactor
    3 Tunze 6105's
    Profilux Controller
    ATB Return w/ wavysea
    ATB M External Skimmer

If you're going to have algae in one place on your tank, it'll be there.

I've seen it on a ton of tanks. The water flow is quick and most of, if any, the nutrients go through that area.

You may also have some food matter or some nutrient back there that's feeding them. Make sure from time to time to clean out your overflow area.

Comment

Greetings All !

I have this red fuzzy alage growing on my durso stand pipe what is it ????
      If you're lucky, it's just some form of Polysiphonia or Ceramium ... manual removal will keep these in check nicely. If the Gods of Saltwater Aquaria have decided to toy with you, it's the dreaded Asparagopsis, in it's sporophyte phase.

If you have a copy lying around, Julian Sprung's "Algae. A Problem Solver Guide (2002)" has pictures on pages 56 - 61.

... and why is it there ????
      SeanCallan is dead on ... as usual. You might consider putting a cover on the overflow box to prevent light from helping the nasties grow.

HTH ...
      "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
      Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

welll my 125g was fuc&ed up from my lfs i sent it to get 2 corner overflows and when i got it it was 2 overflows 9 inches in on each sode from front to back so my show tank is only 4 1/2 feet long not six feet sp i put cheatio in each sode one sode is (left side) the direct to the skimmer and the (right side) is top the sump im sorry if the written is messed up im hammered from a 30th BDay party
        Nick
        Nick
        180G SPS Mainly
        10 Bulb T5 Starfire
        Calcium Reactor
        3 Tunze 6105's
        Profilux Controller
        ATB Return w/ wavysea
        ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Working...
        X