What are eductors???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are eductors???

I have heard the term before, but I have no idea what they are, what they do, how much they cost, where I can buy one...etc...

I need to be informed.

What do the exactly do??? I think something to the effect of increasing flow??

How much do they cost...could I use one on the output of my seaswirl connected to the mag9 on my 75??

I need info..
    Proud owner of an Elegance Coral "that lived". (It is thriving whith long tentacle tips...purchased in January 2005.) It has white tentacle tips, I beleive this has something to do with ones that will typically live due to the collection site.

you could have just did a quick google search and find out for yourself
    Nam

Comment

NO you cant use on on the output of your seaswirl!

first do a search on RC and you will find out what you need, but you cant use one liket that!

Nick
      275 Gallon Envision Acrylics Tank, 70 gallon sump, BK 300 internal, Zeovit, 5 sequence darts (1 on a oceansmotions 4-way), medusa dual controller, 2 ebo jaer 250w heaters, 1/2 hp JBJ comercial chiller, 4 RO IIIs w/14k hamilitons, 4 VHOs super actinic, deltec pf500 Ca Rx, 3 reef ceramic pillar, and 1 reef ceramic mini-reef, 5 ceramic closed loop intake screen covers, with 50ish pounds of LR

Comment

plus you really need a pressure rated pump for them to be effective

Nick
        275 Gallon Envision Acrylics Tank, 70 gallon sump, BK 300 internal, Zeovit, 5 sequence darts (1 on a oceansmotions 4-way), medusa dual controller, 2 ebo jaer 250w heaters, 1/2 hp JBJ comercial chiller, 4 RO IIIs w/14k hamilitons, 4 VHOs super actinic, deltec pf500 Ca Rx, 3 reef ceramic pillar, and 1 reef ceramic mini-reef, 5 ceramic closed loop intake screen covers, with 50ish pounds of LR

Comment

That is a picture of an educator. You do need a pressure rated pump for them to work. It decreases the diamter of the output, thus using more pressure from the pump because of the back flow. Reducing the stream of the ouput creates more velocity. Then tank water is drawn into the nozzle/diffuser and mixed with the water from the pump creating more flow in the tank.

Comment

It's similar to a garden hose nozzle when it's restricted somewhat.

BTW, I have used them on seaswhirls but they create too much flow to the front of the reef.[seaswhirlsattached to the back pane] Overtime the rotational mechanism also may malfunction due to the torque. Bob
            "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

hrmmm...

It is interesting that I had a dream a few months ago with something like that attatched to the outputs of a powerhead or something in an aquarium...(Hey it was a dream i had no idea where, just that I was standing infront of a aquarium and I saw something like that...)

Really, in my dream it was just like that only the "flare" at the end was more trumpet shaped and open out a lot more...

but what the heck does a dream have to do with anything??? :~)

can anyone give me an example of a pressure rated pump??
              is a little giant pump a pressure rated pump?(the external only ones) thanks.
              Proud owner of an Elegance Coral "that lived". (It is thriving whith long tentacle tips...purchased in January 2005.) It has white tentacle tips, I beleive this has something to do with ones that will typically live due to the collection site.

Comment

Adam, some of the Little Giants are pressure-rated & some are circulation only. The eductors are a little unsightly, but definitely increase flow. Bob
                "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

hey just wanna know "Y" u guys insist on telling people to go to RC or google this is a forum and its meant to ask questions and get awnsers please stop with those stupid awnsers if you dont know dont awnser please thank you
                  Nick
                  Nick
                  180G SPS Mainly
                  10 Bulb T5 Starfire
                  Calcium Reactor
                  3 Tunze 6105's
                  Profilux Controller
                  ATB Return w/ wavysea
                  ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

amen!

Comment

Because sometimes, people should try to figure stuff out on the own. You can't always expect people to answer your question.

Eductors tend to be 4-6'' long as well.

The only potential problem to a eductor is it's stream. It creates a jet, but as you can see from the tunze streams a "fan" or "cone" is what is ideal in a tank. Eductors give you 1 powerful "line" of water.

I haven't seen to many tanks that can successful utilize these to their full potential.

Comment

If everyone would find out everything on their own there would be no forums

A search for "eductor" on Google isn't all that useful, and others who don't know what an eductor is may learn from this thread.

Just my 2 cents
                        Last edited by Orion76; 03-20-2005, 01:47 AM.
                        400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

im thinkin of using them on a closed loop and having it facing down hitting off the back side wall so that detrius will not sit there
                          Nick
                          Nick
                          180G SPS Mainly
                          10 Bulb T5 Starfire
                          Calcium Reactor
                          3 Tunze 6105's
                          Profilux Controller
                          ATB Return w/ wavysea
                          ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Working...
                          X