Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Algae (diatom) problem????

Help!!!

I am a new member to this forum. I have been using Zeovit for 5 months now. My SPS have colored up nicely , but I am having a problem. I have a new piece of birdsnest , and it has a Film of what I believe are brown diatoms growing on it , but only on one side!!! I also had a piece of A Samoensis which now appears to be brown at the tips (only on some). Are these pieces losing tissue slowly and letting the diatoms take over , or is it my imagination????

These diatoms can only grow on death areas of corals directly on the skeleton where no coral tissue is present. Loosing tissue on the tips could indicate a lighting problem while the tissue is burned or got to much UV. If the birdsnest is loosing tissue only on one side, it could be to much flow.

G.Alexander

Comment

yes that most likely is it i had placed my green birdsnest close to my tunze because it loked awesome there ansd 2 days later 1 branch was dead so i moved it and alage grew on it now i have it at a spot i likes and its growin back over
      Nick
      Nick
      180G SPS Mainly
      10 Bulb T5 Starfire
      Calcium Reactor
      3 Tunze 6105's
      Profilux Controller
      ATB Return w/ wavysea
      ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Yep its def from tissue loss, check your params to make sure they are ok. Also like Alexander said it could be to uv burn, flow, or could also be to to overdosing Zeostart
        Sean

Tank Specs:60g Cube SPS/Clam tank, ASM G1x Skimmer, DIY ZEOvit Reactor, 1x400w EVC 14k, Marine Life Aquatics CR-250 CaRx (RIP)

Not sure yet.....Build Thread to come!

Comment

Could be U.V. burn , but none of my other sps show any signs , even though they are higher in the tank. If I could ever get a hold of tunze magnet holders , I could better position the streams. P.H. is 8.2 , No measurable PO4 or NO3. Calcium around 425 - 450. Funny thing is the polyps actually look brown on the one side . Maybe it is a color shift , but to brown??? Seems kind of strange. Thanks for the ideas.

Comment

Unless you're using DE MH without UV rated glass, I think UV is out of the question.

Sounds like color loss and tip resession, you may want to check your ZEO dosing, it may be causing some tissue problems.

Comment

as for the magnets my freind has them if u want them not every coral needs high light some are more sensative then others
              Nick
              Nick
              180G SPS Mainly
              10 Bulb T5 Starfire
              Calcium Reactor
              3 Tunze 6105's
              Profilux Controller
              ATB Return w/ wavysea
              ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Working...
              X