ANthia ?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ANthia ?????

Im thinkin about gettin five or six anthias do they all have to be the same ?
    Nick
    Nick
    180G SPS Mainly
    10 Bulb T5 Starfire
    Calcium Reactor
    3 Tunze 6105's
    Profilux Controller
    ATB Return w/ wavysea
    ATB M External Skimmer

I have seen mixed groups, however they have been in VERY big systems 500+ gallons.
    What I have noticed with mine, is that the low fish in the pecking order seems to deteriorate slowly until it succumbs, then the next and so forth. If you don't mind replacing a couple a year to keep the population up, go for it.

CAReefer
    265 gallon SPS tank. Bubble King 300 Internal, MRC CR-6 Calc Reactor. 3 400 watt 20k Helios. 90 gallon Frag tank plumbed into main display.

Comment

yeah i have a 125 i was lookin at like 3 bartletts and 3 dispars
      nick
      Nick
      180G SPS Mainly
      10 Bulb T5 Starfire
      Calcium Reactor
      3 Tunze 6105's
      Profilux Controller
      ATB Return w/ wavysea
      ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

I really don't know how it would turn out. Maybe worth a shot. I have 4 lyretails and they always seem to be peckin at one another, mostly the female showing her dominance. Seems to keep the stress level of the tank up.
        265 gallon SPS tank. Bubble King 300 Internal, MRC CR-6 Calc Reactor. 3 400 watt 20k Helios. 90 gallon Frag tank plumbed into main display.

Comment

i had 4 purple queens but they died wouldnt eat i had them for 2 months and everyone ese i talked to that had them also said no more then 2 weeks
          Nick
          Nick
          180G SPS Mainly
          10 Bulb T5 Starfire
          Calcium Reactor
          3 Tunze 6105's
          Profilux Controller
          ATB Return w/ wavysea
          ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

I have always herd that you should either go for 1/2 or 7-8 of each type, this is because as already mentioned the lowest in the chain is picked on, but the more fish you have means the aggressioon is dispersed more.

I am going to be getting 8 barletts soon

hth

andrew
            100 gal sps tank, with Queen Angle, 2 Common Clowns, Cleaner Wrasse, Purple Tang.

BLV 400w 10k driven by Ice cap electronic ballast, 2 24" Deltec duel T5s. Tunze 6100 and 6000 streams. Deltec APF 600 skimmer, PF 509 calcium reactor, and a FR 509 fluidised reactor modded into a zeo reactor. Eheim 1260 return pump, and Tunze osmolator. Iks unit to control heaters and fan, and co2

Zeovit dosing
            1ml start morning and evening for 6 weeks.
            4ml of bak/food 3/4x14, then 2xweek for 28 days

Comment

Originally posted by nyfireman3097
              yeah i have a 125 i was lookin at like 3 bartletts and 3 dispars
              nick
              That will probably be total war with the weakest of the 3 taking all the aggression of the stronger two and probably not surviving for very long. If you are going to keep multiple speciments of the same species it's better to keep 8 or 9 females and only one male per tank.

In a 125 I'd only keep 1 specimen per species OR overcrowd the tank with anthias so the aggression is spread out. The later may polute your tank though.
              400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

Nick, I have to agree w/ Orion. I would just keep one species of Anthias. Make sure when you get your harem, you either get all females or 1 male plus rest being females. The most dominant female will become a male in couple of weeks. Here's a picture of mine. You can tell the male by the verticle strip on his side. Do NOT get more than 1 male b/c they will kill each other.

Comment

Naka - how often do you feed your anthias? I've always heard they need several feedings a day.

I would love to get a couple, but several feedings a day doesn't fit into my schedule, and I would be worried about the pollution it would cause.

Comment

i heard the same but i also hear alot of people train them to eat every other day
                    Nick
                    Nick
                    180G SPS Mainly
                    10 Bulb T5 Starfire
                    Calcium Reactor
                    3 Tunze 6105's
                    Profilux Controller
                    ATB Return w/ wavysea
                    ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Working...
                    X