Clear All

• Dosing Recommendations/Round 3

Here are my current parameters...

2. Net water volume 200 gal
    3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor. Yes
    4. Are you using a PO4 reactor. No
    5. Are you using Ozone. No
    6. Are you using UV. No
    7. What skimmer are you using. AGM - G2 (Is this to small??)
    8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels.
    PO4 - ~0.015 or less Salifert
    NO3 - Barely detectable w/high res Salifert
    9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels
    Ca - 450ppm
    Alk - 7.2 (I plan to slowly raise to 7.8)
    Mg - 1,200ppm (I'm not certain why this is a bit low)
    10. What filtration method do you use. Refugium w/Miracle Mud
    11. Type of light. Was using Hamilton 2-250W SE 10K + 2 - 96W pc actinic. In the past week I put this lighting system over my sump. (It's a large 100gal Rubbermaid feed trough that I'm hoping to encourage cheato growth in) I now have 2-250W DE 10K BLV + 2 54W T5 actinics over my tank.
    12. What corals do you keep. sps frags, branching hammer, toadstool
    13. Tissue color. Bird's nest, hammer, and Mont Cap look very good. My green/purple rim mont is washed out looking (light). I also have a Mont Digitata that is light brown (it should be green)
    14. How long has the tank been running ~4 years I used to be on mud and have been slowly working my nutrient leels down from about 1 year ago.
    15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system. SPS color and growth
    16. Any supplemental dosing. No
    17. Live rock. Not certain of quantity
    18. Any present problems. No
    19. Problem description. Still working to get nutrient levels down
    20. What test kit do you use. Salifert
    21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals. (ZEOvit - 2 liters in Madison's reactor operating 100% of the time, ZEObak - 8 drops 3x/wk, ZEOfood - 8 drops 3x/wk, ZEOstart - 2 ml 3x/wk, I've begun splitting the z-start 1ml early and 1ml late in the day.
    22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.) 1.025, 78-80F. Was using Oceanic salt and started using tropic marin pro reef about 3 weeks ago. I'm also doing weekely 10% water changes. I've cut back on my fish feeding to every other day.

Brief ZEO summary:

I've been on the zeo system for about 12 weeks. The first 6 weeks, I was still using a Miracle Mud Refugium. Since the refugium appeared to me to be a huge phosphate sink (my caulerpa was not growing well) I emptied the contents of the sump before starting the second round of zeo. During the second round (I'm at the end of the 6 week interval) of zeo my phosphates have dropped from the 0.03/0.05ppm range to well under 0.03ppm using the high res Salifert test. My nitrates have dropped to the point where they are barely perceptable on the high res test.

I'm about to start zeo round 3 as of tomorrow with the change out of my Z-vit and would appreciate guidance on how to proceed with my dosing. I feel like I'm getting getting close to a "low nutrient" environment, but have yet to hit the target with the restoration of sps color. All help offered is appreciated!
    Pikeman

Hi Pikeman, need a couple of questions answered, as it looks like you're doing well. Do you have any tissue-tip recession of any of your corals? Is there a thick, brownish diatom build-up on the panes after a day or two after cleaning the panes? Thnx. Bob
    "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

No, I have no evidence of tissue recession. The only growth I get on the glass is some fine hair algae that pops up every few days that's easily managed with a cleaning magnet.
      Pikeman

Comment

Thnx. for the update, & with your corals doing well, only minor dosing changes are needed. I would recommend decreasing your bak/food to 6 drops ea. every other day with new zeolites, then 2x's/wk. Dose Start .6ml 3x's/day. Use AAHC 4 drops 2x's/wk, PIF 4drops 2x's/wk, 2 drops Fe 2x's/wk. & Spur-ME as per ZEOvit guide recommendations. These supplements will definitely enhance coral color I would hold off on Spur2 until the next zeolite exchange, allowing this time frame for coloring with the addtional supplements. Bob
        "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

Thanks for the help. Hopefully bright attractive corals are in the not to distant future!
          Pikeman

Comment

Working...
          X