short and wide or long and skinny?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• short and wide or long and skinny?

which tank would be look better: a short(60" long or less) one that is wide(30" or over) or a long one(72" long or more) that is not very wide(24" or less)?

oh, and post some pics that show the depth (front to back) or your tank

-thanks
    Last edited by Detritivore; 03-11-2005, 08:00 PM.

Originally posted by jonah310
    which tank would be look better: a short(60" long or less) one that is wide(30" or over) or a long one(72" long or more) that is not very wide(24" or less)?

oh, and post some pics that show the depth (front to back) or your tank

-thanks
    my wife told me to post Size doesnt matter

Comment

Okayyyy...WAAYY too much detail about the personal life dude...

I like tank depth (front to back), but if it's too short it looks weird too. The tank should be porportioned for lack of a better way to describe it. Too much in any direction tends to make it look weird.
      10x3x2 FOWLR (for now)
      BK400ext
      RD12 return, 2 RD12 closed loop, wavebox with extension
      MRC kalkmixer
      IKS

Comment

the title confused me a bit...SHORT and FAT. (More room for stuff inside).
        Proud owner of an Elegance Coral "that lived". (It is thriving whith long tentacle tips...purchased in January 2005.) It has white tentacle tips, I beleive this has something to do with ones that will typically live due to the collection site.

Comment

lol, sorry, i think im gonna change the tilte... do you think a shallow tank, as in depth, will look weird in terms of proportion?

nevermind, too late to change. lets just forget that i said tht.

Comment

for a reef tank, the deeper (front to back) i think the better.. although you have to put a little bit more planning when it comes to setting up proper flow and lighting
            Nam

Comment

Originally posted by scottw
              my wife told me to post Size doesnt matter

LMAO......
              Dont kid yourself SIZE does matter

Comment

hrmmmm
                Proud owner of an Elegance Coral "that lived". (It is thriving whith long tentacle tips...purchased in January 2005.) It has white tentacle tips, I beleive this has something to do with ones that will typically live due to the collection site.

Comment

which sounds better: 60" long 30"wide 20"tall ; 48"long 30"wide 24" tall ; 72" long 30" wide 20" tall

Comment

48x30x24. heighth

but IMO, a tank 10 feet long by 4 feet wide by 6 feet tall would be beeeest....

Comment

6 feet tall would be way to hard to light! plus it would cost a fortune to run the lighting! and you could not keep anything that deep!

Nick
                      275 Gallon Envision Acrylics Tank, 70 gallon sump, BK 300 internal, Zeovit, 5 sequence darts (1 on a oceansmotions 4-way), medusa dual controller, 2 ebo jaer 250w heaters, 1/2 hp JBJ comercial chiller, 4 RO IIIs w/14k hamilitons, 4 VHOs super actinic, deltec pf500 Ca Rx, 3 reef ceramic pillar, and 1 reef ceramic mini-reef, 5 ceramic closed loop intake screen covers, with 50ish pounds of LR

Comment

60 to 72L x 28 to 30W x 24H.

Colin
                        120 BB w/20g BB side tank, 29g sump, (2) 250w RO III, 14k AC, Bluewave VII ballast, Deltec 851, Panworld 150 return, (2) 6000 Streams w/controller, AC II Controller w/(2) DC4, GEO 618 CR.

If at first it doesn't fit get a bigger hammer - Beat to fit paint to match

Comment

my dream tank is 8 or 10 feet long, 4 or 5 feet wide and 30 inches deep. with a platform like steve weast's tank all the way around to access the entire tank.

Nick
                          275 Gallon Envision Acrylics Tank, 70 gallon sump, BK 300 internal, Zeovit, 5 sequence darts (1 on a oceansmotions 4-way), medusa dual controller, 2 ebo jaer 250w heaters, 1/2 hp JBJ comercial chiller, 4 RO IIIs w/14k hamilitons, 4 VHOs super actinic, deltec pf500 Ca Rx, 3 reef ceramic pillar, and 1 reef ceramic mini-reef, 5 ceramic closed loop intake screen covers, with 50ish pounds of LR

Comment

72" long 30"wide 20"tall

i would do that one or even go 72 x 36 x 20 :yesway:

i just like shallow tanks so you can get better light penetration
                            Nam

Comment

i was thinking about having a relatively shallow tank so that i could also view corals from the top, which i thought would be pretty cool

Comment

Working...
                              X