Flow Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flow Question

Got the stream set up a couple of days ago, if left on 100% it would give around 60 x flow, however it is pulsing between 100% and 30%, so I guess around 40 x flow on average. (12000 LPH in 200 Liter tank)
    It is on the older controller, that does not have a moonlight function, so I've put it on a timer that will shut it off completely at night, leaving the only flow being the main return, around 5 x.
    The question is twofold, firstly, will 5 x at night be enough, and secondly, the time it is shut off, at present the stream is going on at 9.30 am, (1/2 hour after lights on) and off at 7.00 pm (1/2 hour before lights out) Is that timing about right?

Alastair, I've never bought into the idea of slowing flow at night, for a few reasons. First, our flow will not harm the corals, only help in gas exchange, nutrient & traces availability[food] unless the flow is directly blasting a coral. As importantly, especially if your skimmer is set to "wet", the changing of water velocity thru the sump,& system, adversely affects dialing the skimmer optimimly, & prevents the purpose of increased flow for bringing nutrient particles to the water column, then to our zeo-filter & skimmer. This will make nutrient export less efficient over time Bob
    "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

Good point, actually I've noticed the skimming picks up when the stream is on.
      It really does churn up the tank though, I was just a little nervous of leaving it on all the time.
      I do quite a bit of night fishing, and it is quite noticeable the sea calms down a lot at night.
      However, I'll do it and watch the results.

Comment

Alastair, I agree , but our closed systems unforunately, collect waste. Now if you have a open system arrangement there--wouldn't that be nice Bob

Comment

OK Bob, I'll do it.
          I'll pick up this thread in a week or two and post my impressions of going flat out, all the time .

Comment

But is the flow we have created in our closed systems anywhere near the flow in the open ocean even at night? That's assuming that the flow and current under the surface is actually reduced.
            Alastiar, I do know what you mean about the calmness at night, but I have no idea what's going on beneath.

SteveU
            “People are very open-minded about new things - as long as they're exactly like the old ones.”
            ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

Hi, Alastair...

I leave my Tunzes on 24x7, never had a problem. I would actually be concerned about oxygen depletion, etc., if I turned my flow off for several hours.

Arthur

Comment

Exactly, Steve, good point, even if we splash water on the floor,& bust all the MH's above, our flow is still less than the Ocean Bob

Comment

I've had it running 24/7 for a few days now, effects seem to be positive, looks like you guys were right all the time.
                  Just a couple of fish were a bit put out the first night, their normal sleeping pozi was too fast flowing for them to bunk down, but they've got new places all figured out now.

Comment

well thats the reason for lwering the flow at night your fish. With the massive flow you make it just that much harderfor them to get a nice spot to relax and sleep
                    Nick
                    Nick
                    180G SPS Mainly
                    10 Bulb T5 Starfire
                    Calcium Reactor
                    3 Tunze 6105's
                    Profilux Controller
                    ATB Return w/ wavysea
                    ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Working...
                    X