Going on vacation vs,Zeovit dosing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going on vacation vs,Zeovit dosing

I don't know if anything like this has been posted.But us Zeo users are in more demand now than ever before on our tanks.With these additives be added like this.So what do we all do with summer time around the corner.When we all go away for awhile.Is there any type of top water,with the additives we might be able to do.I would hate to a friend to take care of my reef tank,with these different additves we have to add.Maybe be Bob can chime in here,what steps we might be able to do.
    That's right Bob we are back ! Glad to back on board......
    Curt & Barbara

Welcome guys Yeah Bob will know the awnser lol he the almighty g8 one of Zeoville lol
    Nick
    Nick
    180G SPS Mainly
    10 Bulb T5 Starfire
    Calcium Reactor
    3 Tunze 6105's
    Profilux Controller
    ATB Return w/ wavysea
    ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Curt and Barbara...

I only worry about top off water and before the CA reactor the addition of the 2 part additives. Just skip dosing ZEOs while you are away. Nothing bad will happen but maybe a rise in nutrients which you should be able to get back in line on your return. When I leave I always portion fish food into daily rations and lock up the rest. When I'm home I don't feed every day but tank sitters feel better if they do. I get little plastic disposable bowls, put some flake in them, cover with wrap or lids and label each with the day it's to be used.

SteveU
      “People are very open-minded about new things - as long as they're exactly like the old ones.”
      ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

As Steve said hold the zeos when you are gone the main thing to be concerned with is Ca, Alk and Mg additions that would be where I would put my effort on
        Sean

Tank Specs:60g Cube SPS/Clam tank, ASM G1x Skimmer, DIY ZEOvit Reactor, 1x400w EVC 14k, Marine Life Aquatics CR-250 CaRx (RIP)

Not sure yet.....Build Thread to come!

Comment

i have a friend of mine who i have trained for this reason lol
          Nick
          Nick
          180G SPS Mainly
          10 Bulb T5 Starfire
          Calcium Reactor
          3 Tunze 6105's
          Profilux Controller
          ATB Return w/ wavysea
          ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Hi Curt/Barbara, good to have you posting Have you been on vacation? One can hold Zeo-dosing for up to two wks. w/o a nutrient problem, especially in phase 3. In phase 2 the time frame would be a little less, say 7-10 days. Same for the zeolites cleaning Bob
            "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

Wonder if instead of quitting zeo doses all together, they could be cut by, say, half, so that nothing bad could happen, but it's still getting done.
              Most tank sitters can follow exact instructions, ie:- on wednesday you put X in the tank. It would be asking them to interpret things and then act accordingly would be dangerous.
              In my line of work I employ some pretty dumb people, but it is surprising what you can get done with clear, straightforward, written instructions.
              Just work on the principle the person has no initiative, design the program for them accordingly, and should go without a hitch.
              Last edited by wasp; 03-10-2005, 05:37 AM.

Comment

Alastair, that's even better than not dosing I suggest the sitter watch how you dose these & pump, than watch them do this before turning over this procedure. Bob
                "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

Originally posted by wasp
                  In my line of work I employ some pretty dumb people,... .
                  Alastair... Sounds like I might only be half qualified for the position... I'm not "pretty".

SteveU
                  “People are very open-minded about new things - as long as they're exactly like the old ones.”
                  ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

lol Thats ehat i did wit my friend i have him watch me and watch me and then i had him do it a few times and BINGO i inow have a trained Zeo doser for me
                    Nick
                    Nick
                    180G SPS Mainly
                    10 Bulb T5 Starfire
                    Calcium Reactor
                    3 Tunze 6105's
                    Profilux Controller
                    ATB Return w/ wavysea
                    ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Hmmm... Very funny!

I think I made things sound worse than what they are, although thinking about it, I have employed people who had not really made it anywhere else.

I think the crux of it is, I have heard employers / supervisors critisize someone for being stupid & say how they screwed up, whereas in fact IMO the employer simply could not train, it was the fault of the person giving the instruction.

Bottom line, I think a straight forward exactly written list of instructions that leave nothing for the person to figure out themselves, plus, as Bob said, have the person do each thing on the list at least once while you watch, should have your tank looked after fine.

What Nick said about dividing the food into daily portions, and hiding the rest, is a great example. Does not leave too many ways for the person to get it wrong.

Comment

Working...
                      X