No announcement yet.

Acropora Staghorn Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recently had the privelege of going out in a glass bottomed boat in one of our marine reserves, called Goat Island. One thing I very much noticed was the water and wave action, kind of more noticeable from a boat than when diving and actually part of it.
    As we passed over areas with swaying types of growth, it was a relatively calm day, however the water would move one way, and everything would be pushed over that way for maybe 10 - 15 seconds, by a gentle but powerful current. Then it would stop and they would get pushed over some other way for another 10 - 15 seconds.
    Made me realise some of the wavemakers we have do not really duplicate this, in the tank, they can send more of a sort of pulse, in comparison with nature. I think about the nearest thing to nature would be streams on an alternating timer. To really be realistic, I think more than two streams would be needed, to get more than just two opposing directions, and the time intervals should be randomly adjusted also.

Comment

2 tunze 6100 on a multi controller
      Nick
      Nick
      180G SPS Mainly
      10 Bulb T5 Starfire
      Calcium Reactor
      3 Tunze 6105's
      Profilux Controller
      ATB Return w/ wavysea
      ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Ever check out the Tunze Wave Box

Colin
        120 BB w/20g BB side tank, 29g sump, (2) 250w RO III, 14k AC, Bluewave VII ballast, Deltec 851, Panworld 150 return, (2) 6000 Streams w/controller, AC II Controller w/(2) DC4, GEO 618 CR.

If at first it doesn't fit get a bigger hammer - Beat to fit paint to match

Comment

Well I got my stream, a 6100. One is all I need on my 50 odd gallon tank.
          It's awesome! Don't know why I waited so long. Pulled 5 PH's out of the tank, looks better already.
          I've got it pulsing, around 8 seconds on 100%, then a longer time on 30%. Makes a real good wave type action around the tank, really churns it up, but not too harsh on anything.
          Now I see why people rave about their streams.
          Anybody know what the lifespan of these things are?

Comment

Alastair, that's a good point, but just their "feel" tells you that they're well made. Some of mine are over 1yr. & all are functioning as day 1 Bob
            "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

Originally posted by wasp
              Anybody know what the lifespan of these things are?

IIRC Roger (Sales rep for Tunze) said that the drive unit (propeller, magnet, bushings, ect) is supposed to be replaced around 2 yrs. All the rest can last around 10yrs if taken care of.

Colin
              120 BB w/20g BB side tank, 29g sump, (2) 250w RO III, 14k AC, Bluewave VII ballast, Deltec 851, Panworld 150 return, (2) 6000 Streams w/controller, AC II Controller w/(2) DC4, GEO 618 CR.

If at first it doesn't fit get a bigger hammer - Beat to fit paint to match

Comment

I run my Tunze Turbelle Electronic since 6 years without any problem. The Streams are online since 2 years.

In this time range I only had to change the magnets and the propellers once of the Turbelle because they become noisy. After the change the problem was fixed.

G.Alexander

Comment

how much were they ?
                  Nick
                  Nick
                  180G SPS Mainly
                  10 Bulb T5 Starfire
                  Calcium Reactor
                  3 Tunze 6105's
                  Profilux Controller
                  ATB Return w/ wavysea
                  ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Thanks, that is handy info. Yes, another great thing about these pumps, just got to replace the moving parts & back in business.

Comment

Nick, I do not remember, too long ago.

For example here you can find some actual prices:

http://www.aquazoo24.de/index.php?cPath=43_69_134_135

G.Alexander

Comment

Working...
                      X