Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuning a Beckett.

Hi Guys,

I just recieved a beckett skimmer from one of my friends. I've heard alot about how you have to tune these bad boys.

I've pretty much figured out that the least amount of air I can get in, gives me the finest bubbles. I think.

Can anyone give me their experience with tuning these guys and any recommendations?

It's pulling a lot out of the water, but it just smells fishy not funky.

Not necessarily the "least" amount of air, but usually you need to usually restrict the air intake a little bit to get the bubbles finer.

Use a pressure rated pump.

Tune the foam level at first with the skimmate collecting in the top of the reaction chamber and then slowly raise the water level.
    10x3x2 FOWLR (for now)
    BK400ext
    RD12 return, 2 RD12 closed loop, wavebox with extension
    MRC kalkmixer
    IKS

Comment

I have have a pressure rated yet, I'm using a spare mag9.

I think I need to sell the mag9 and buy a pressure pump. Wheres the best place to buy one?

Comment

depends on which one. There isn't any real submersible pressure rated pump that I know of.

Externals on the cheap end the genx mak4 for a single and the pcx55 for a double.

GRIs and Iwakis cost more.

You gotta hunt around.
        10x3x2 FOWLR (for now)
        BK400ext
        MRC kalkmixer
        IKS

Comment

I heard blueline are a good pump, got any opinion on them?

Comment

the blueline iwaki knockoffs are fine.
            10x3x2 FOWLR (for now)
            BK400ext
            MRC kalkmixer
            IKS

Comment

knockoffs? I've heard they were a better overall pump...

Comment

That is all I use .. pm gqjeff he is better at tuning them then I am. Tell him scott sent you

Comment

Scottw, does ggjeff really use a beckett or do you just want me to bug him

Comment

no he does he has an Myreefcreations MR-3 Dual Beckett I know I sold it to him lol..

Comment

WOW, those MR-3s are big!

Mines an MR-1. I'll ask him, I wish someone could come look at it for me, but I'll figure it out. I'm about to sell some frags and pumps perhaps I'll have the money to buy a blueline.

Comment

use the GenX PCX40 with the MR-3 its a cheap pump that works perfect and its around $100.00. Jeff use's the PCX55 and is going to get another one, 1 for each beckett..

Dont get a blueline unless you can get one for around $100.00.

also call Andy, he will be more then willing to help you adjust it bro. here is the number.

PHONE: (678) 407-3773
                        E-mail us: [email protected]

Comment

WOW! Is the GenX a pressure pump?

How about I mail you my skimmer and you exchange it for one of those useless BKs. I know, its my lose, but I'm willing to do it for simplicity sake.

Comment

Working...
                          X