Should I upgrade my skimmer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I upgrade my skimmer?

I understand that when using the Zeovit Method, a sufficiant skimmer is needed. I have a 75g SPS tank and a EuroReef ES5-3 hooked up to it. It's rated for a 90g tank, I was looking at upgrading to either the ASM G1-X skimmer or the Deltec AP600. I am only limited to chosing only those 2 skimmers due to the lack of space I have in my sump.

Now which one should I buy?

I would stick with what you have. I have a Euro Reef and it works out just right. But if you want something for the name, then get the Deltec.

Comment

IMO keep the ES 5-3,

Comment

I've decided to ask that question because today as I walk into my house I find a Copperbanded Butterfly laying dead on my sandbed. I tested Ammonia and it was 0. Could my skimmer has anything to do with the death of my fish?

Also, my skimmer isn't pulling out alot of skimmate it takes like 2 weeks to get a full cup! Can it be because my tank has not alot to skim out?

Thanks

Comment

do you have any algae problems or do you feed the tank anything?

Comment

The only algae that I have is the normal brown algae. I only feed frozen Mysis and Cyclop-eeze. No flakes or pellets.

Comment

Originally posted by ReefRockerLive
              Also, my skimmer isn't pulling out alot of skimmate it takes like 2 weeks to get a full cup! Can it be because my tank has not alot to skim out?
              It's more likely that you don't have it tuned right.
              400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

What is it exactly that needs to be tuned? Is it the small rubber airline tube or the pre-filter?

Comment

I don't have an Euro Reef so no idea

There is a lot of helpful info on getting the most out of your skimmer in this thread:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...hreadid=554786
                  400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

Clean the Skimmer

I would a start cleaning the cup more, Like once every 2-3 days. Then, you can adjust the stand pipe to skim wetter of dryer.

Comment

I would look at an H&S A110 external. It's as good as the Deltec, and will save you some money. I recently upgraded from an ER CS6-1 (non-recirculating) to an A150 external, and love it.

http://www.finsreef.com/product.php?...cat=254&page=1

Upgrading to a recirculating skimmer will definitely improve things. You'll still have to tune it in, though. This is pretty easy with the H&S, IME.

Tom
                      Current Tank: 75g sps restarted with ZEOvit August 2004, Aqua Connect 14K 250W SE MH x 2, SLS HQI ballasts, 54W blueplus T5s x 2, H&S A150 external (recirculating) skimmer, Tunze Stream 6060, 6000 with single controller, Geo Ca reactor, in-sump ZEOvit reactor from Madison, Aquacontroller

Comment

I don't know how much you have as for funds go $$$$.But I have Euro/reef skimmer also.I'm getting mine upgraded to do the job.It's a "lot" cheaper to up graded than any new one.But you might want to check out the RC forum as for Euro/reef forum.They can tell you what you can do.I'm not doing mine.Mine is getting another pump,or a bigger one.I just sent it to him,and he going to test it with different pumps,for better performance.It is another choice for you.There is nothing wrong with Euro,need to make a few changes.And you will be filling your cup up.

Comment

Can I get the link for Upgrading my Euro Reef?

Thanks

Comment

ReefRocker...

I think the premise behind upgrading the skimmer may be faulty. A dead fish does not equate to inadequate skimming. The thing you need to do is to look at the overall health of the system and make adjustments as required. Once you do your evaluation, you may conclude that there are other factors that led to the demise of your fish. For example:

did you introduce any new organisms that may have infected your fish?
                            was the fish eating okay previously?
                            was the fish showing any signs of sickness previously?
                            what is the temp range for the tank?
                            what is the pH range?

There are a lot of things, as you know, that we need to keep an eye on. Spending money on a skimmer without determining what is truly "wrong" (if anything at all) may just be an exercise in futility.

Incidentally, the ES 5-3 is supposed to be an optimal configuration, meaning the amount of bubbles produced by the pump is excellent and the skimmer body are an excellent match. I doubt that upgrading your skimmer will yield any substantial gains. (Though like Tom, I have a preference for H&S skimmers).

Ted

Comment

did you introduce any new organisms that may have infected your fish? No
                              was the fish eating okay previously? Yes
                              was the fish showing any signs of sickness previously? Yes, tilted on an angle
                              what is the temp range for the tank?79-81
                              what is the pH range?7.9-8.1

Would upgrading my pump do any good proformance wise?

Comment

Working...
                              X