CS12-2 OR CS8-3RC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CS12-2 OR CS8-3RC

Which of these two EuroReef skimmers would be best for a 180 gallon system?

Andy

I had a 12-1 on a 240 and it was plenty. I dont like there new RC skimmers, i hear they leak on the Uni-Seals. If it were me I would go with the cs 12-2

Comment

The CS8-3 would work out just right for your tank. The CS12 has an extra pump that you may not need. It really depends on your bioload too. Do you plan to have a ton of fish? As for myself, I always go on step higher to buying a skimmer than recommended. Another variable is upgrading your tank.. if you feel you will upgrade your tank in 2-3 yrs, then the CS12 would be a better fit as you dont have to spend the extra $$ later since you already have the proper equipment.

Comment

Well it sort of depends on what pump you are getting and if you will run the RC external or in sump anyways. I personally own an RC ER and well, it doesn't leak but the pump (dolphin sp something or other) is underwhelming. Additionally ther are some design issues that are clearly not thought out all that well vs some other RC skimmer options. On the other hand, the "beta" pumps sound promising. The standard 12-1 ER will put a pretty good size submersible into your system. I avoid gratuitous heat input whereever possible personally.
        10x3x2 FOWLR (for now)
        BK400ext
        RD12 return, 2 RD12 closed loop, wavebox with extension
        MRC kalkmixer
        IKS

Comment

Maybe I will wait . Jeff from Euroreef just told me via post in Euroreef forum.

"We should have Ehiems in 4-5 months."

Comment

Purchased a CS12-24-rc-beta. Talking to other beta test users I am confident this will kick some major butt. According to Jeff at ER it draws more air than any of the Eheim powered units and he gave me a deal I could not pass up. I'll let you all know how it works when it is set up and running.

Comment

good choice.. please post pics when it arrives . and congrats bro.

Comment

hey, you got a good deal, that's great. I think that Jeff (ER) is reacting to the pressure from the other offerings now available and I think that is good as well.

The one thing that's consistently bothered me about the ER RCs that I've seen to date though is why is there so much empty space in the bottom of the skimmer. I have a 6-2 RC and like the bottom 1/3rd at least has no bubbles. Jeffdogg on RC posted pix of his 8 series beta RC and that thing was like half empty of bubbles. Hopefully your design will be better.
                10x3x2 FOWLR (for now)
                BK400ext
                RD12 return, 2 RD12 closed loop, wavebox with extension
                MRC kalkmixer
                IKS

Comment

I have been pleased lately on how fast Jeff is replying to e-mails. Sounds like he is really trying to turn their poor customer service reputation around. I went with this unit because it is supposed to outperform the Eheim pumps with regard to air intake and I paid almost one thousand dollars less than the Deltec ap702, which is comparable in size.

Comment

Originally posted by AZNEPYDNA
                    I went with this unit because it is supposed to outperform the Eheim pumps with regard to air intake
                    i find that hard to believe, i hope somebody, not jeff from ER, is going to hock up a airmeter to see what that is all about, to get some numbers,
                    i am not saying this is impossible just hard to believe

Comment

Heinz, ER pumps may pull in the air, but Eheims historically run year after year after...Bob
                      "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

Originally posted by Heinz
                        i find that hard to believe, i hope somebody, not jeff from ER, is going to hock up a airmeter to see what that is all about, to get some numbers,
                        i am not saying this is impossible just hard to believe
                        I have an airmeter and will post the results from the beta pump when it arrives(july 6th).

Comment

Originally posted by Aged Salt
                          Heinz, ER pumps may pull in the air, but Eheims historically run year after year after...Bob
                          I can attest to that. My Euroreef F2 with Eheim 1060 (purchased in 1997) which draws 10 LPM is still running but it is undersized for my 180 gallon system.

Comment

The current version of the H&S Eheim pulls between 14-16lpm depending on the size and height of reaction chamber. What is often overlooked is that it is just not the amount of airflow, but the amount of air with relation to water flow. IE the new beta pump may be pulling enough air now, but how much faster is the water also flowing. to Acheive the same results. Hands down, the becketts pull way more air, but it needs to be fine tuned to amount of airflow, waterflow, turbulance, and all packaged in the right size reaction chamber, AND right size collection neck to be optimum.
                            That is the difference that H&S, Deltec, BK has over everyone else.
                            Brian

Comment

What is weird is that some folks say it is all about the size of the reaction chamber. Other folks talk about the amount of air. I bet when all is said and done, there is a relationship between the size the chamber, the amount of air injected into the chamber and the amount of time the water lingers in the chamber.

If you look closely at the specs published on H20tropicals, you will see that the ER matches the same pump to different size reaction chambers. And as the size of the chamber increases, the amount of air the pump is able to draw decreases. So on some models, you get a bigger tube with less air (absolute terms, not relative terms) in it. Somehow, that doesn't make sense to me.

IMHO, ER has some really good performers within it's line. I think the problem is that they have such a big selection that a layperson is hard pressed to figure out which ones are the performers and which ones are the dogs. And simply bring on another brand of pump does not fix that. Examples of this include:
                              - CS 6-2RC (As chuck has said, the pump on this configuration is less than impressive. In an old thread, Jeff agreed that this pump is a little under powered)
                              - CS 6-1 (I owned one.. stay away from this dog. You can get a CS 5-2 or 5-3 which uses the same pump in a slightly smaller chamber. Much more lively. Jeff says that the 5-3 is the "optimal" combination)
                              - Other examples are all over the place if you look within ER's forum.

What I really like about the deltec and h&S lines are that there is really only one pump/reaction chamber combo offered. I assume that this is because you get the "optimal" configurations only.

Comment

Working...
                              X