GroTech equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GroTech equipment

Gary is selling grotech for some time now, but i never hear anything about it, i was wondering how the experiences are, from ppl that got a grotech skimmer or ca reactor from gary, if you like it or not ect, also the dosing pumps from grotech did anybody in the US buy one ?

in case you dont know what i am talking about a link to the GroTech equipment

greg65 has a grotech skimmer

Comment

I have a HEA 150 on an office tank. The construction is pretty darn good. They've got a nifty design for the way the collection cup attaches and detaches. Solid acrylic work. I am NOT impressed with the standard venturi however. It works, right, but JMO I don't think it produces a foam head like I could get with a needlewheel and you don't get the super fine bubbles like that. But yes it's very well built. The larger unit used in the "skim off" apparently performed much better than this unit has for me. It is well built though. I just think the standard venturi doesn't cut the mustard
      10x3x2 FOWLR (for now)
      BK400ext
      RD12 return, 2 RD12 closed loop, wavebox with extension
      MRC kalkmixer
      IKS

Comment

I have the HEA-200 and I like it alot. I've never owned a needle wheel though. I would bet the 200 could hold it's own fairly well against the none Ehiem needle wheels.
        If I remember correctly the HEA-150 brings in 300Lph of air using the Ehiem 1250. Mine uses the 1260 pump and brings in 800Lph of air. Grotech's are a snap to clean and I have never had a problem w/ micro bubbles exiting the skimmer. Besides normal cleaning i flush the venturi 1-2x's a week w/ warm RODI.
        Take Care,
        Chad

Comment

thanx for your reply,

chad where you able to messure the airintake ? or how did you come up with those numbers ? the 1250 at 300l/h is what i expected, the 1260 at 800l/h seems high,

not trying to start an argument, i am really just wondering if you had used an airmeter,

btw chuck i am no longer following the "skim off"

Comment

Heinz,
            I have run a airmeter on the 150 and it can pull ~500lph, I had to dial mine back to ~350-400 to get the bubble size down and to work better, I do not have a 200 to test right know, but the Eheim I have on a H&S pulls between 900-1000lph of air. It took me a week for the 150 to break in, but once it did, I skimmed well. It must of impressed at least one of my customers, because he bought it from my coral display set-up, I just got to decide what to replace it with now. I have a video of it running on my Palm, but can't transfer it to my MAC.
            Last edited by Fins Reef; 01-29-2005, 09:15 AM.
            Brian

Comment

Brain,

thanx for the info, finally somebody that hocked up an airmeter

900-1000l/h is impressive,

while i got your attention did you sell grotech Ca reactors ? or have used one ?

Comment

I have the calcium reactors on my try list, but it might be a little while until I get to them. By the way the construction on the skimmer is great and based on that I feel confident the same would be on the reactor.
                As for Airmeters, that only run $30.00 for the Dwyer rma-22 and fitting. That's onw of the cheapest things I have bought lately.
                Brian

Comment

Thanks Brian, looks like my numbers were a little low on the 1250. Sorry for the mis-information, I was a little unsure on the 1250 but now that you say 500lph that may have been what I was told. Would be interesting to see what the GT venturi-1260 combo would show w/ a flow meter.
                  Chad

Comment

Heinz, the air intake information comes from Thomas at GroTech. Keep in mind that they only test the pumps at 110V/50Hz vs. 110V/60Hz. That could be the difference.....
                    Fish eat poop....tastes just like chicken.

Comment

The German Specs on the Grotech is from 350-400lph. And that is where the skimmer runs the best. I also feel that on some pumps that the American power cycles lead to more air flow than listed on the most German specs. Just waiting to see if the same holds true for the BK pumps also.
                      Brian

Comment

Gary, you posted while I was typing my response. but great minds do think alike
                        Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Heinz
                          thanx for your reply,

btw chuck i am no longer following the "skim off"
                          Well, since not a whole lot has happened recently in the skim off you ain't missed nothing. And frankly the real showdown that I think people wanted to see (say BK vs Deltec vs H&S vs ER or something like that) isn't anywhere near the event horizon so....
                          10x3x2 FOWLR (for now)
                          BK400ext
                          RD12 return, 2 RD12 closed loop, wavebox with extension
                          MRC kalkmixer
                          IKS

Comment

Just saw this thread............

I have been useing the grotech hea300 for .....awhile.
                            I like the skimmer ALOT. Its really set and forget, easy to keep clean, and produces a tonOskimmate.

In comparison to the BK, it doesnt make as tiny of bubbles, no question, but believe me.they are very small and dense. I think i can speak freely on this board (as opposed to the "other" board) and say this skimmer opens a can O woop ass on the becket skimmer i had prior. Its a very well made product, and the one advantage over say an H&S or the like , is no needlewheel to potentially break, and standard off the shelf pump replacemnt.
                            Id rather have a large BK, and plan on getting my hands on one again-----HOPEFULLy. You cannot match the efficiency of the BK, and power bills in my neck of the woods make that a SERIOUS consideration.

Im also useing the grotech Calcium reactor, and like it alot. Its clean, extremely well made, and simply works. It appears to be a little finicky about how much water flow through the unit(pressure) to work just right.

Over all , Im pretty impressed with their products, and would (and do) reccomend them to anyone who wants to listen.
                            -greg-
                            Zeovit, Bubbleking, and grotech dealer.
                            Avid SPS hobbyist

Comment

thx greg for you reply,

could you post some pictures of your GroTech equipment in action ?

do you know which eheim is used on the HEA 300 ?

Comment

Working...
                              X