Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aquamedic Turboflotor shorty wetskimming

Hi,

Just bought the Aquamedic Turboflotor shorty2, and although the riser tube picks up alot of thick dark cr*p the collection cup doesnt get alot of skimmate in it. Im not sure if you can get wetter skimmate from this skimmer, does anyone have any experience of these skimmers and how to increase the skimmate its getting. The skimmers rated at 400 galls and my tanks around 190 galls.

Cheers
    Gary

Hi Gary, although I've never use that good skimmer, Placing a powerhead to increase current around the skimmer pump will increase it's productivelyBob
    "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

Is that turboflotor 5000?

Comment

Sorry Bluereef,

Yes its "Turboflotor 5000 shorty 2" to give it its full name...nice lookin skimmer but still not removing too much into the collection cup

Comment

Thanks GA,AM have too many skimmers names and I dont know which is who
          I dont have much expirience with that skimmer but IMO AM skimmers are excelents,cheap and good working.
          Here is few pictures when I test that model,he remove 450 ml of dark skimate in 24 hours.

I use eheim 1260 pump to feed a skimmer(2200 lit/hour) and throtle the skimmer valve in half as you can see in first picture(sorry for my english language,hope you will understend ).
          I think that you can get weter skimate playing with the skimmer valves,probably full open valves will give you wet skiming.
          Do you use him in sump or external,next to sump?

Comment

Thanks Bluereef,

Firstly your English is very good, im ashamed to say I only speak English!!

My skimmer is sat next to the sump and uses a higher rated pump (i cant remember the exact gallonage it produces its an old 'seltz' pump), maybe using a lower rated pump would increase the skim mate, could it be possible the water is flowing through too quickly through the skimmer to be properly "processed" ?

What sized tank are you using your skimmer on, mine is around 190 gallons with a low fish load in it.

I do get thick skim mate but only a very small amount in the collection cup.

Interested in your comments.

Cheers
            Gary

Comment

maybe using a lower rated pump would increase the skim mate, could it be possible the water is flowing through too quickly through the skimmer to be properly "processed" ?
              Yes IMO,many do mistake and put very powerfull pump to feed the skimmer, what is not good.IIRC Klaus from RE also recomend slower flowing pumps.I think 1 to 3 capacity of tank is enough.Otherwise water flow through skimmer to fast .My eheim pump is also very old and she probably lost 30 procent of flow at least.
              My tank are 250 galons and unskimed for 5 years(I use ecosystem filtration),is very good aquarium for skimmer testing,lol.
              Maybe is your aquarium to clean.

Comment

I use the TF 1000 on my 125 and it is awesome
                Nick
                Nick
                180G SPS Mainly
                10 Bulb T5 Starfire
                Calcium Reactor
                3 Tunze 6105's
                Profilux Controller
                ATB Return w/ wavysea
                ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Originally posted by bluereef
                  [B]IIRC Klaus from RE also recomend slower flowing pumps.I think 1 to 3 capacity of tank is enough.Otherwise water flow through skimmer to fast .Maybe is your aquarium to clean.
                  Thanks Bluereef, just checked and my feed pump is actually an old Eheim 1060 which i believe is around 600 gph flow, as my tank is around 190 gallons maybe the water is flowing too quickly through the skimmer before it has time to process it enough, I think ill throttle the pump back a little and see if i notice a difference.

Ga

Comment

Working...
                  X