ASM-G3 Skimmer Improvement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASM-G3 Skimmer Improvement?

I have an ASM-G3 skimmer with a Sedra 5000 pump for my 200 gallons of water volume. I was wondering if there is any way to improve this skimmer enabling it to pull even more nasties out of the tank. I have one eye on the BK but another on the price tag, so I want to maximize the equipmant I have on hand.
    Pikeman

Pike... I have both. The ASM did a good job until I got the BK, after that the ASM gets maybe a cup of skimmate a week. I've raised the raiser tube at least an inch.
    There's just no comparing the amount of air in these two skimmers. Maybe if you could add a pump but then you just might have to much water flow. If you could add a recirculating NW it might do it but ten trurbulence might be the issue in the relativly small chamber.

SteveU
    “People are very open-minded about new things - as long as they're exactly like the old ones.”
    ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

GTR,

Thanks for your response! Just how much better do you estimate the BK to be vs. the ASM? I know it's "better" but could you quantify that in any way? (Skimmate generated with the BK after the tank was on the ASM, etc) The reason I ask is that I'm coming to the conclusion that my very slow decrease in nutrient levels with the zeovit system may in part be related to my under-horsepowered skimming (G3 for 200 gal). I'm looking for more quantitative support before I spend close to $2K for a skimmer. In essence I want to make sure I get a big increase in my nutrient export consistent with the extra cost.
      Pikeman

Comment

I can't find a way to fairly compare these two skimmers. They are not in the same class at all as I'm sure you know. If you are in need of a better skimmer this is a fine choice but there are also many others priced more in line with the ASM that you might be happy with for the money paid.

SteveU
        “People are very open-minded about new things - as long as they're exactly like the old ones.”
        ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

Pike...

I found some fittings to install a gate valve instead of the riser pipe and sponge to adjust the water restriction in the ASM. The first fitting was a 90 (male end of a reducer I think) and it fit in where the slide pipe went and from there I installed the gate valve. This seems as though it will make the ASM easier to adjust in small increments (like 1/8 turn). I always had a hard time moving the slide pipe just a little and I'd end up moving it a lot. As you know then you have to start over trying to find the sweat spot.

SteveU
          ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

Working...
          X