Beta\Gen X pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beta\Gen X pump

What's the word on the Gen X\Beta pump that ER is now using. How does that compare to the Ocean Runner pumps.

We're trying to figure out what would be the best pump to use on one of George's recirculating skimmers. The Ehiem is out, I'm kind of leaning towards dual OR pumps.
    [email protected]

the pump seems to work well, but there are complaints about noise.
    10x3x2 FOWLR (for now)
    BK400ext
    RD12 return, 2 RD12 closed loop, wavebox with extension
    MRC kalkmixer
    IKS

Comment

I don't know if the euro reef guys are going the right direction by going with gen x submersilbe pumps. Check out this thread:
      http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...hreadid=563467

Adobo

Comment

ER doesn't really say the Beta pump they use is the Gen X pump, or do they?
        [email protected]

Comment

I haven't specifically seen it said anywhere and the beta pump users I've queried said that all identifying markings were removed/defaced.
          10x3x2 FOWLR (for now)
          BK400ext
          MRC kalkmixer
          IKS

Comment

Moon,

If you ever take the pump apart, could you check to see if there is a metal heat sink inside it? I also thought I saw metal covering the magnet for the impeller. What's up with that? I thought metal and salt water did not mix very well.

Adobo

Comment

Originally posted by adobo
              Moon,

I thought metal and salt water did not mix very well.

Adobo

That depends on the metal...but I would think that any metal used as a heat sink would not be high grade Stainless or Titanium.
              [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by adobo
                Moon,

If you ever take the pump apart, could you check to see if there is a metal heat sink inside it? I also thought I saw metal covering the magnet for the impeller. What's up with that? I thought metal and salt water did not mix very well.

Adobo
                i am not a beta tester. I know a couple, but I'm not on ERs happy, happy list.
                10x3x2 FOWLR (for now)
                BK400ext
                MRC kalkmixer
                IKS

Comment

Originally posted by moonpod
                  i am not a beta tester. I know a couple, but I'm not on ERs happy, happy list.

I wonder who name is higher on that list, mine or yours...I had Jeff so mad at me a while back, he was sending PM after PM...I read the first couple then just started deleting em....

It doesn't look like the guys who are using these "Beta" pump think their Gen X pumps..I could be wrong but I have seen a picture of the Gen X with all the markings covered up, it looks just like the Beta pump.
                  [email protected]

Comment

One of the beta testers from RC posted some pics of his beta pump. See below:

and

There is a parallel thread that is talking about problems with Gen X pumps. A pic from that thread...

Whether or not it is a Gen X seems unimportant. What is disturbing is the use of some sort of metal as part of the beta pump. It seems that in the Gen X version, the metal has a tendency to attract "metal ions". (Call me a simpleton but I would characterize that as rust.)

Adobo

Comment

Moon,

Now I remember.. you have a CS 6-2rc with the underpowered sedra pump on it. Good luck with that..

I am also unhappy with Euro reef. Not because their product is priced like a high end product and performs like a mid-end product (though that in itself is incredibly annoying). It's more how they approach the service side of things.

Adobo

Comment

I wonder how long it will take for ER to admit the problem...

Sorry monpod, I just moved to the top of that list..
                        [email protected]

Comment

Well, I've never had a PM from Euro reef but I am sure I am on their s**t list too.

Adobo (aka tpimente)

Comment

Working...
                          X