EuroReef gate valve mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EuroReef gate valve mod

I've heard about this mod and have an idea of what needs to be done, but can some one explain to me what is accomplished by doing this?
    --Matt

Matt... I don't have an ER but I'd think the gate valve would be to get better control of the out-flow from the skimmer and make fine adjustments easier. IIRC the ER has slide pipes similar to the ASM. With the ASM these small adjustments can be a PIA when you slide the pipe hoping to move it only a little and it moves a lot. Then you start over.

The Reef Devil downdraft skimmer I have also has a gate valve. With it you can change the water level in the body with precision (which it really needs to work at all).
    HTH

SteveU
    “People are very open-minded about new things - as long as they're exactly like the old ones.”
    ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

Thanks Steve - from you explanation and from what else I have found that makes sense.

Now, let me ask this. Which would make the skimmer more effective? The gate valve mod or adding a recirculating pump or both?
      --Matt

Comment

The gate valve will only make it easier to adjust and not change it's performance.
        I can't tell you anything about making it a recirculating model... if it changes the performance in the long run or not.

There should come a time in any skimmer's life that it begins to slow down. If it does not, IMO, it's to small for the load.

SteveU
        “People are very open-minded about new things - as long as they're exactly like the old ones.”
        ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

I think I will just go ahead and do the gate valve mod and not worry about trying to make it into a recirculating.

If I find that the skimmer isn't handling the load, it's time for a new one. Doesn't make sense to try and force it to do something it isn't designed to handle.

Thanks for the help Steve
          --Matt

Comment

with this mod you are able to creat more back pressure than you can without it. This can be good or bad. More back pressure can result in more skim but if it's too much back pressure then the skimmate is too watery.

Comment

Is backpressure noticeable in the skimmer or only in the skimmage?

Just curious if you can look at the flow in a skimmer to tell if there is backpressure.

Does the use of a pressure pump increase or decrease backpressure? I know for instance it's recommended to use pressure pumps for becketts, I thought that was to decrease the pressure, correct?

Comment

I got the gate valve mod for my CS6-1, and have been very pleased with it. It has definitely made the skimmer more effective, by allowing me to dial in much wetter skimmate.

You can order the mod from H20 Tropicals (Euroreef's outlet store)

http://www.h2otropicals.com

It is easy to assemble and install (no tools required).

Tom
                Last edited by Tom Berry; 03-16-2005, 05:22 PM.
                Current Tank: 75g sps restarted with ZEOvit August 2004, Aqua Connect 14K 250W SE MH x 2, SLS HQI ballasts, 54W blueplus T5s x 2, H&S A150 external (recirculating) skimmer, Tunze Stream 6060, 6000 with single controller, Geo Ca reactor, in-sump ZEOvit reactor from Madison, Aquacontroller

Comment

Thanks for the link Tom
                  --Matt

Comment

Working...
                  X