Crazy DIY skimmer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy DIY skimmer

OK, so I have this 40 gallon sitting on the dresser filled with water and I am thinking..."I must have a skimmer for this thing". So what did I do??? I got some PVC and PVC cement, aquarium silicone, plastic cups(dixie), cheap plastic dish, airline tubing, maxijet 1200, and some plastic tubing so the pump fits into the pvc snugly. I threw it all togeather and I have a skimmer. I made it by looking at the one on my 75 gallon and trying to make it somewhat alike. (it is quite different.) To put it plainly I dought it will work. But hey, I got the hole drilled for the air intake for the bubbles, the PVC tube on the outside to adjust water level in the skimmer.(Long pvc tube for higher level, short tube for lower levels.)

I tested it out withouh the air hole drilled and it created a tornado inside the skimmer with the bottom of the "tornado" facing down. I dont think this is a good sighn, but hey, at least the water swirls around inside the skimmer! :yesway: I put the pvc tube where the water enters the skimmer at a angle so that the water would swirl. When I tested it out just sitting inside my 40 gallon the plastic container lid fell of.(darn!) I used pvc cement and silicone to attatch it, but hey, it was DIY. So now I used a squarish peice of acrilic as the skimmers bottom.(I had a large peice of acrylic laying around, and no saw, so I used a hole saw to cut many holes in it to make a oblong square type thing) So NO, it is not even close to a perfect square, but it works(I guess) I am really hoping that the skimmers bottom doesnt fall of again...

The thing better work, because it is all I am putting forth for filtration for my 40 gallon, besides deep sand bed and LR. (lps and softie tank)

WEE!!! (Like I said, I really dont think the thing will function properly, but we will seeeeeee)

Proud owner of an Elegance Coral "that lived". (It is thriving whith long tentacle tips...purchased in January 2005.) It has white tentacle tips, I beleive this has something to do with ones that will typically live due to the collection site.

And no, after testing, it does NOT function properly. Darn.

I need help about this problem, here is a description.

I put a PVC pipe in where the supply to the skimmer is to make the swirling motion inside the skimmer. I drilled a hole in the pvc pipe, and inserted a cheap plastic thing that regulates how much air goes into the skimmer. And I attatched airline tubing to this. Well I plugged it in, and there is no air. I thought"what is going on??". Instead of sucking air it in through the tube, it pushes water out throught the tube.

What causes this problem?? Ohh and I dont think the output is bigger than the input. why is this so important? could this cause the bubble proplem? thanks
    Proud owner of an Elegance Coral "that lived". (It is thriving whith long tentacle tips...purchased in January 2005.) It has white tentacle tips, I beleive this has something to do with ones that will typically live due to the collection site.

Comment

Comment

Adam...J/k man.Can you post a picture of it? I think your atempting to make a venturi

Comment

no, I cant post a pic, and I tore it apart because the output pvc was smaller than the input and I know I read somewhere that the output has to be bigger than the input.

Do you know anywhere on the net where you can build a simple DIY skimmer without the exact parts listed?? thanks I am just going to look for some plans...

Comment

it may have not been sucking air in because there could have been something causing back pressure at the output of the pump so water was pushed out the tube instead.

Comment

I think I read somwhere that there is a way to make a DIY venturi by drilling a hole in a powerhead somehow. How can I accomplish this? thanks

Comment

I just drilled that hole in that powerhead...I hope it works...it really cant not work.

I hope this thing works after the modifications..I guess it is experiment and learn...

Comment

and of course it didnt work.
                  what am I to do???

Comment

did it even suck any air in? post some pics

Comment

Adam let me dig up some old venturi DIY plans.It works real well,i have it on my calcium reactor for the CO2 and feed from the tank.It also worked great for pulling air.Give me till tomorow to find the pics and i'll post em

Comment

ok CosmoKramer...

I drilled the hole right by the intake instead of inside where the impeller is, and now it works! Kinda, that is. the pump has to be so far away from the waters surface or it wont suck any air in. I am going to make this a hang on back type skimmer, if it first works, but for sure I am going to make sure that it doesnt leak!!!

It looks really good so far, with the air injection from the maxijet and all it looks really good.....

I will update next friday, saturday, or sunday (I cant get on the internet during the week, dont bother asking why...).

I hope this darnded thing works......cyl.

Comment

I really want to know why now..lol

Comment

IT WORKS!! IT WORKS!!!

HECK, THE THING IS MAKING BETTER FOAM THAN MY REMORA PRO EVER DID!!!

Yay for me! A skimmer that costed me HOW MUCH???

NOTHING!!!

Comment

well, where are the pics???

Comment

Working...
                              X