Skimmers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skimmers

What makes a skimmer so damn good y is a BK better then others ?
    Nick
    Nick
    180G SPS Mainly
    10 Bulb T5 Starfire
    Calcium Reactor
    3 Tunze 6105's
    Profilux Controller
    ATB Return w/ wavysea
    ATB M External Skimmer

Nick I think it has to do with the Red dragon pump, the design of the needlewheel, and the actuall design of the skimmer body. Other than that all I can say is the bubbles that is produces are so fine that it looks like shaving cream, which is awesome. As for justifying the ~$4000 to buy it I dont know. Unless I win the lotto
    Sean

Tank Specs:60g Cube SPS/Clam tank, ASM G1x Skimmer, DIY ZEOvit Reactor, 1x400w EVC 14k, Marine Life Aquatics CR-250 CaRx (RIP)

Not sure yet.....Build Thread to come!

Comment

so if i use a BK needlewheel and a red dragon pump on a DIY skimmer itll work the same ?
      Nick
      Nick
      180G SPS Mainly
      10 Bulb T5 Starfire
      Calcium Reactor
      3 Tunze 6105's
      Profilux Controller
      ATB Return w/ wavysea
      ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

I doubt it, there has got to be a reason why these thing cost so much
        Sean

Tank Specs:60g Cube SPS/Clam tank, ASM G1x Skimmer, DIY ZEOvit Reactor, 1x400w EVC 14k, Marine Life Aquatics CR-250 CaRx (RIP)

Comment

WHY A BK COSTS SO MUCH!

1. The red dragon pumps are expensive, you pay for quality remember that. (Why is a Ford so cheap compared to BMW? Quality)
          2. Each and every BK is hand made, that adds a lot of cost to the Skimmer.
          3. Only the best material is used in the production of the skimmer.
          4. Export cost is a bit higer, the US Dollar is not worth crap the Euro last time I looked was at 1.43 or close to it, vs the dollar.
          5. QUALITY COSTS! This is in everything you buy, there is always a cheaper way to get anything, TV. Sony cost more then Sempo. But Sempo is there for the person that wants to spend less and get less quality.

IMO its worth the $$$ for a BK, I dream about it daily to be honest with you, I will be running only Red Dragon pumps on my coral farm, the cost in electricity/amps is a lot less then most if not any other pump out there. Quality pump that is.

Comment

Thanks Scott that clarifys a lot
            Sean

Comment

For the BK, you have to look at the air injection. The amount of air per pump is pretty amazing. As someone mentioned, the pump is a big part of the cost, and that's true. I don't know if you can find a pump half this powerful and be as quiet as the RD. I'm not kidding when I say they are silent. In my years of reefkeeping I would have to say the RD pumps are the coolest thing I have seen so far.

Comment

Madison, did you get my pm? I was unable to find that check valve on mcmaster.com
                Sean

Comment

ok but what about my question ?
                  Nick
                  Nick
                  180G SPS Mainly
                  10 Bulb T5 Starfire
                  Calcium Reactor
                  3 Tunze 6105's
                  Profilux Controller
                  ATB Return w/ wavysea
                  ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Nick... Youv'e seen my pics of the BK, what more can I say?

SteveU
                    “People are very open-minded about new things - as long as they're exactly like the old ones.”
                    ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

no doubt its a amzing piece of work but what makes it soooo much better then others is hwta i wanna know i mean if i put a red dragon to my TF 1000 will it work better ?
                      Nick
                      Nick
                      180G SPS Mainly
                      10 Bulb T5 Starfire
                      Calcium Reactor
                      3 Tunze 6105's
                      Profilux Controller
                      ATB Return w/ wavysea
                      ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Originally posted by nyfireman3097
                        ok but what about my question ?
                        Nick
                        We have. Quality is one. Each are hand built, Red Dragon Pump is one. Cost of Material is one. Export to the USA is one. shall I go on

Originally posted by nyfireman3097
                        no doubt its a amzing piece of work but what makes it soooo much better then others is hwta i wanna know i mean if i put a red dragon to my TF 1000 will it work better ?
                        Nick
                        One will never know until you try it. I am sure Klaus has not tried that skimmer with his pump. Nobody here knows if it will work, Klaus may not even know if it works, he would have to do the same thing we all have to do, Test, Test, Test!

Ok time for a

scott
                        Last edited by scottw; 03-10-2005, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Nick,

your question : would it work probably, would it be better than the pump you have yes, would it be the same as a BK, NO..

Klaus fine tunes each pump to each skimmer body, along with the deflection plate at the bottom, and the precise ability to tune, it is just a whole package thing......
                          IF IT IS WORTH DOING, TAKE YOUR TIME AND DO IT RIGHT..........

Comment

lol thats what i was lookin for thanx
                            Nick
                            Nick
                            180G SPS Mainly
                            10 Bulb T5 Starfire
                            Calcium Reactor
                            3 Tunze 6105's
                            Profilux Controller
                            ATB Return w/ wavysea
                            ATB M External Skimmer

Comment