New Calcium reactor???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Calcium reactor???

I have a KNOP Model C calcium reactor that I got used for my 75 gallon SPS reef about 4-5 months or more ago. Well since it was used, the bubble counter leaked Co2, and the pump leaked, and the actual reactor body leaked in about 3 places. So I got some wire ties, fixed the pump, and some sereous PVC glue and fixed the reactor leaking. Then I noticed the Co2 going into the bubble counter wasnt consistent. So I had to replace the Regulater cause it was broken. So I went out and bought a JBJ regulator with solenoid for $125.00. Ouch. The used reactor with pump was $125, BTW. Now it is a few months later and I dont think the ARM media is going down at all. It has been in there for 3 months and it has only gone down 1/2 to the bottom of the chamber. So it is FILLED with detrious, so is the Sponge that prevents the media from exiting the chamber. Should I just take the thing apart and get rid of the media in it and put new in, and get everything going again, or is it time for a new reactor? I would like one of those shuran ones...was considering buying one when I bought the one I have but thought...naw...that thing is WAY too expensive! SO I have my KNOP. Is it a good brand? Ohh and I fixed the bubble counter with PVC glue. Ohh well it works fine now!

So should I clean the reactor and put new sand in...prehaps the sand is concrete??? Whadda U think. (Just if I decide to replace the reactor this summer...who makes a super high-quality DIY reactor???)

Thanks

BTW the corals arent growing too fast at all......
    Last edited by Adam; 02-06-2005, 12:21 PM.
    Proud owner of an Elegance Coral "that lived". (It is thriving whith long tentacle tips...purchased in January 2005.) It has white tentacle tips, I beleive this has something to do with ones that will typically live due to the collection site.

it looks at these
    [IMG][/IMG]
    lgr2500 (lgaquari)
    loaded with 15 kg of big coralline
    hi blureff

Comment

Adam, the Knop C should handle a 75g reef. Try it for a while with your new regulator & see if it maintains your parameters. Bob
      "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

if that reactor doesn't work out for you let me know. I know a couple really nice DIY guys who make great reactors.

Comment

well I have read that some reactors can dissolve all the media in a month...mine wont do that in 6 months...I dont get it...

For some reason I think if I take all the old ARM and clean out that sponge in the bottom...I think it will work better...dont know why...
          Proud owner of an Elegance Coral "that lived". (It is thriving whith long tentacle tips...purchased in January 2005.) It has white tentacle tips, I beleive this has something to do with ones that will typically live due to the collection site.

Comment

Hi Adam, cleaning the gravel promotes more even percolation of the C02 thru the media, therefore a larger area of the aragonite is involved for X quantity of C02 used. Bob

Comment

so would cleaning or replacing the current gravel be a good thing...right? thanks

it hasnt been cleaned for at least 4 months...

Comment

Adam, I change the media about 3x's/yr. If some has dissolved to "mush" & is compacted, then replacement with new or cleaned aragonite is desireable. Bob

Comment

yeah I think that is how it is...there is also probably some algae blocking the tubes because the intake and output are right in the water my the MH bulb...algae is growing near the intake...once it completely stopped the water flow.

Comment

Adam,You can get black tubing so you wont have the alge blocking the tube
                    Oh,before i forget.Do you have a sump?

Comment

Originally posted by blureff
                      it looks at these
                      [IMG][/IMG]
                      lgr2500 (lgaquari)
                      loaded with 15 kg of big coralline
                      hi blureff
                      Is that a nuclear reactor..hehehe

Comment

You could try a Deltec PF600. I believe you will be impressed by it
                        Farish

Setup: 250G System, ATI Powermodul 10x80w T5s, 4x6100 Tunze Streams & 7095 MultiController, Deltec PF1000 CR, Deltec AP902 Skimmer, IKS, Zeovit, Artica 1Hp Chiller

Comment

Working...
                        X