Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CA reactor adjustment

Hi all~

I started to use new schuran PICO reactor...

NOW the co2 bubble number is 12 per a minutes. PH of CA outlet is 6.25

and current KH of my tank is 5.6..

In this status..What can I do?

I wanna maintain my KH level to 6.5~7

increase outlet water in CA reactor?

PH of CA outlet is OK?

Thanks...

www.spsholic.com

Vince, you will need to adjust the Kh of your tank to 6.5~7 first using buffers and then see if the CR can maintain the KH of the tank. Main objective of a CR is to maintain the CA/KH and not to be used to increse the CA/KH. HTH
    Farish

Setup: 250G System, ATI Powermodul 10x80w T5s, 4x6100 Tunze Streams & 7095 MultiController, Deltec PF1000 CR, Deltec AP902 Skimmer, IKS, Zeovit, Artica 1Hp Chiller

Comment

Originally posted by fkadir
      Vince, you will need to adjust the Kh of your tank to 6.5~7 first using buffers and then see if the CR can maintain the KH of the tank. Main objective of a CR is to maintain the CA/KH and not to be used to increse the CA/KH. HTH
      Thanks fkadir~
      but I set my KH level in 3days ago...(KH6.8)
      and installed my reactor in 2days ago
      The current low KH is because I could not adjust CA reactor well.
      so just wanna know the skill of Reactor adjustment,
      If not, my KH level will be decreasing continuously....

Sometimes My Bad english makes me crazy... :flame:

www.spsholic.com

Comment

Hahahaha, dunt worry Vince

Ph of 6.25 is ok. Try increasing your Bubbles per min and also the flowrate thru the reactor and maintain the ph of the effluent. This will deliver more CA/KH to the tank and will help to maintain the KH better.
        Farish

Setup: 250G System, ATI Powermodul 10x80w T5s, 4x6100 Tunze Streams & 7095 MultiController, Deltec PF1000 CR, Deltec AP902 Skimmer, IKS, Zeovit, Artica 1Hp Chiller

Comment

I agree with Farish above Vince, do small adjustments and then check your parameters also. Brian

Comment

My understanding of CA reactor adjustments is that you need a Kh value in the effluent, of approximately 3 times the desired level in the tank. Personally, my dual chamber runs a final ph of 6.75 with a dKh of 24. As already mentioned, don't try and raise your CA or Alk with the reactor. Try and get the tank alk to stay consistant, then raise with buffers. HTH

CAReefer
            265 gallon SPS tank. Bubble King 300 Internal, MRC CR-6 Calc Reactor. 3 400 watt 20k Helios. 90 gallon Frag tank plumbed into main display.

Comment

Oh, and don't worry too much about the Ca levels, get the alk set, and the Ca will fall into place.
              265 gallon SPS tank. Bubble King 300 Internal, MRC CR-6 Calc Reactor. 3 400 watt 20k Helios. 90 gallon Frag tank plumbed into main display.

Comment

Thanks.. all~~!!

www.spsholic.com

Comment

I have to run my reactor at about 60 dkh ph 6.65 to keep my kh at 7. I know the kh effulent is really high but any lower and the tank kh will drop. I have tons of sps though and large clams.

Comment

Vince, you never mentioned the flow rate through the reactor ?

The basics on reactor tuning in a nutshell (as I know them):

disclaimer: I have no experience with schuran PICO reactors or the media they run, but...

1. Ca Rx media has a pH working range, drive it to low and it will turn to mush, to high and not much happens (this is anywhere from 6.20 to 7.00 approx, depending on the media).

2. Flow through the reactor must be constant.

If you are driving the pH to the low end of the range of the media, and are unable to meet Alk/Ca demands of your tank you need to increase flow through the reactor until you are within the pH range, and meeting the demands of your tank.

therefore, if you are already driving the pH to 6.25 you need to at least double the flow through the reactor and back the pH off some. For example, I was driving my Rx at 6.30 @3ml/min and I went to a 15ml/min pump, pH is now 6.90 and I am maintaning Alk at 8.

Make small adjustments (ie. lower pH by 0.05) and let it sit for a day, taking measurements in Alk at the same time every day (I never bother testing Ca when tuning). expect to spend a week or three tuning it :-)

If you get to the point where you're adding media every week it might be time to consider a larger reactor, unless the media is easy to change and you don't mind changing it.

rich.

Comment

Working...
                    X