Phosphate Source Found!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phosphate Source Found!!!

I've been on zeovit sine last November and was growing increasingly concerned as to why I couldn't get my phospates to non-detectible levels. I am currently at ~0.015ppm Salifert and have been holding there for a few weeks. My nitrates are non-detectable. Well I FINALLY checked my calcium reactor outlet for phosphates and I believe I've found my phosphate source. My ca rx outlet measures ~0.10ppm on phoshates. AAAARGH!!!!! I'm using Koralith rx media on which the advertising lable indicates the material is phoshate free.

Are people using the Carib Sea ARM with success??? I need a different media. Recommendations appreciated!
    Pikeman

I know how you feel Pikeman, I have the same problem... I've been running my Rx effluent throught some BioPhos and Fe based PO4 absorbers, which helps a lot, and I just ordered a 50lb bag or ARM media..

I think your two options are to replace the media or add something to absorb the PO4 coming out of the Ca Rx.

rich.

Comment

Pike, there was a similar thread quite recently, should be of interest to you

http://www.zeovit.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2024
      400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

Wow, similar story... I plan to switch media to resolve the problem, the question now is which media to change to.
        Pikeman

Comment

Dont expect A.R.M. to be much better. I'll test it again later before I post some pretty high results for this morning after I read your post.

If PO4's were money I'd be rich.

SteveU
          Last edited by GTR; 05-03-2005, 07:02 PM.
          “People are very open-minded about new things - as long as they're exactly like the old ones.”
          ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

PO4 readings

#1...Tap Water • 1.3
            #2...RO/DI • .03
            #3...Tank • .08
            #4...CA RX effluent • .05
            #5...CA RX effluent after running through 1/2 cup al based remover 1 week old .13

Only test numbers 3, 4 & 5 where repeated and results of those were within .01

CA reactor is a dual chamber with each chamber holding 8lbs media.

Test #3 (tank) is about .02 higher than my goal,but well within what I'd expect it to test at based on the look of things. What I can't understand is the ca rx delivering a lower reading than the tank and is why a repeated the tests.

pH out of the first chamber is 6.92.
            pH out of second chamber is 7.24
            pH of tank is 8.2
            kh on the output of the reactor is 13.6

RO/DI has twin DI cartridges with less than 100 gallons use.

SteveU
            “People are very open-minded about new things - as long as they're exactly like the old ones.”
            ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

Hi Steve, are the P04's in #'s 4 & 5 are reversed? . If not, do you have a theory? Thnx. Bob
              "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

Bob... no and it's why I repeated tests 3, 4 & 5.
                The water enters the reactor with a PO4 reading of .08, it swirls around in the reactor and comes out at a rate of 80ml/mi. with a PO4 of .05. This is the one that puzzles me.

Your question pertains to 4 & 5 though. If you look at it, take the reactor out of the picture for a second. I'm running 80ml/min of water with a PO4 level of .08 through 1/2 cup al based media and has been used this way for 1 week.
                80ml/min x 60mins x 24 hours x 7 days = 213g.
                Is it any wonder the al based media is leaching PO4 back into the system when we look at it this way. 1/2 cup a guess won't hold that much.

SteveU
                ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

Steve, how old is your aragonite? I can see it filtering out P04 initially as a sand filter does in purifying water. At some saturation point, though, the P04 will leach back into the effluent at a higher quantity than the P04 amount entering the Ca Rx.

I may need to change my Phosgard more often or switch to color-changing Bisphos, based on #'s 4 & 5. Thnx.Bob

Comment

Bob... this is my first ca reactor, it and the media are about 3 months old. I thought it would solve more problems than it created. Limewater was just as easy IMO.

I changed the media just before I left the shop today and it was indeed yellow and not white. It's in a DIY PVC thingy so I can't see it until I open it. I put in a about a cup this time so we'll see how long it lasts.
                    I'm sure your system water is much lower in PO4's than mine so your milage may vary.

Not sure why I'm even fighting with this, I have a lot of room to increase zeo dosages with out risk.

SteveU
                    ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

Interesting results Steve...

I've been running my effluent through Fe based media (1/2 a cup) and it seems to last longer than the Al based stuff. although it could be the Al based media needs to be mixed every couple of days to remain effective.. Anyway, after replacing the Al media last Friday PO4 went to 0.03 after 10 hours of Fe media, then 0.04 the next day and 0.05 on Sunday. I removed the reactor cup and the top layer of Fe media, then stirred the remaining media on Sunday.. PO4 two days later (ie today) is 0.05..

rich

Comment

Hi Rich, be careful with the Ferric oxide P04 removers, as they may result in darkening of your corals, or an algae bloom on your rocks I would recommend only using Al3 based P04 removers under the effluent. Bob

Comment

Its possible that the reason why you have high PO4 from you reactor is because you have trapped debris in your chamber. I would look into getting coarse media. With coarse media you can clean it out every couple of months. Rinse, then place back into chamber.

Comment

so what are you guys using to cut the PO4 out of the cal reactor ?
                            Nick
                            Nick
                            180G SPS Mainly
                            10 Bulb T5 Starfire
                            Calcium Reactor
                            3 Tunze 6105's
                            Profilux Controller
                            ATB Return w/ wavysea
                            ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Hi Nick, I'm currently using Phosgard with excellent results.Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X