CA Reactor Feed Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CA Reactor Feed Pump

What pump are some of you using to feed your ca reactor?
    I'm just using a Maxi Jet with a needle valve and it takes constant adjustments to keep the flow stable.
    SteveU
    “People are very open-minded about new things - as long as they're exactly like the old ones.”
    ...Charles F. Kettering

I use a Jesco Diaphragm pump.
    400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

I picked up an Aquamedic SP3000 dosing pump, but I haven't hooked it up yet. I currently feed it off my return pump, but I'm not happy with that method. With the Aquamedic, it does a fixed 50ml/minute, so that's just one less parameter to worry about. With the effluent rate fixed, I only have to adjust the pH (and maybe the run time) to dial in the reactor.

Comment

I was feeding my reactor off my return and it was a pain to adjust, now I feed the reactor with a fixed rate dosing pump. It's so much nicer to know the flow is constant and there is nothing to check or adjust.

Comment

I got myself a chemical metering pump but yet to hook it up, right now I feed my via the return pump and it's PITA to have to constantly adjust the flow.

Comment

Right now I'm using a Cole Parmer peristaltic pump. My demands are low enough that it is able to run a high enough drip rate. If my demands increase I'm hopeing to stay ahead of them by increasing the dia. of tubing. For a larger system Orion76's set-up looks pretty sweet. I think there's a pic of it here somewhere. Can't remember but maybe in a reactor thread.
            Take Care,
            Chad

Comment

Steve, I use a maxi too with a valve. Works just fine. Just needs to be cleaned every once in while from debris getting stuck.

Comment

I use a diaphragm pump from Aquatic Ecosystems. Works great and very consistent.

Comment

I have an Aquamedic SP3000 but just wondering if the effluent of 3L/hr is too fast? Will it lower the tank ph too fast with such high flow. 3L/hr=50ml/min roughly equals to 10 drops per sec.

Anyone using this setup and no problem?

Comment

Welcome to ZeoVit.com

I have attached a clock timer to my CaCO2 feed pump which makes it easy to control the water flow through the reactor. I switch it off for example every 45 minutes for 15 minutes. Should also work fine with the SP3000.

G.Alexander

Comment

That's a good idea. Thanks. However, by stopping and starting frequently, will it reduce the lifespan of the dosing pump?

Comment

I am not familiar with the SP3000 but I did not expect. I have running my grotech peristaltic pump in this way since one year without problems.

G.Alexander

Comment

Continuous use peristaltic pumps are more expensive than ones meant to be used for start / stop applications so one would assume that stopping and starting will lengthen the lifespan rather than reduce it, but if you are worried about this you could put your CO2 on a timer instead or on a PH controller.

I have my pump set to 5 l/h though, it depends on the size of your tank and how much CO2 you use if the water throughout is too high or not
                          400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

When you shut off the feed pump do you also shut off the CO2?

SteveU
                            “People are very open-minded about new things - as long as they're exactly like the old ones.”
                            ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

Steve, I keep the CO2 running, switch just off the pump.

G.Alexander

Comment

Working...
                              X