Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ca Reactor Questions

Hi All,

Well we are going to setting up a 150 gallon with 40 gallon sump (180 gallons total volume). Tank is going to be ZEO and is going to be SPS dominated. I want to set up a Ca reactor with this tank but honestly do not know much at all about them other then they are great for Ca and Alk stability. I have a couple of questions.

First is there a good site/book/source that will tell me how a Ca reactor works and how it is adjusted/set up?

Second, what is a good Calcium reactor, everything else on the tank is going to be high quality stuff and want to know a good Calcium reactor that will bring years of use, good stability and if possibly easy to operate/adjust. I see alot of people like the Shuran Jetstream 1, is this good? Also have see Koralline and Deltec Calcium reactors.

What size CO2 tank is needed? Any specific regulator?

Any advice/opinions/suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Here's an excellent article on useing calcium reactors:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-05/sh/feature/

I'm on my third reactor (undecidedly) and it's a Schuran Jetstream 1. the one thing that I never see mentioned is that cheap, thin acrylic becomes brittle with time and exposure to CO2. This was the demise of my second reactor; it literally fell apart. My first one was purchased because it was a very low price. Needless to say, I didn't save much money now that I've purchased 3.

Speak with as many people as you can, and try to see the reactors in person before buying. Be aware of the drawbacks of some reactors (specific media, feed requirements) and read, read read.

FWIW, I love my jetstream. The quality of build is the best I've ever seen. I'm very confident that it will be the last reactor I'll ever buy.

Regards,

-Rob

Comment

Working...
    X