Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bulkheads?

Ok i am going to edit this post,

i forgot i am going to use these spa jet bulkhead things like Old Yeller tang has....

anyway i want to use 4 of them along the back wall of my tank....

NOW can a Dart sucessfully power 4 1.5" bulkheads?

i mean will i get good flow out of each spa jet bulkhead?

or is the dart too weak to power this many holes at this size?

thanks!

Nick
    Last edited by nbd13; 07-30-2005, 11:37 AM.
    275 Gallon Envision Acrylics Tank, 70 gallon sump, BK 300 internal, Zeovit, 5 sequence darts (1 on a oceansmotions 4-way), medusa dual controller, 2 ebo jaer 250w heaters, 1/2 hp JBJ comercial chiller, 4 RO IIIs w/14k hamilitons, 4 VHOs super actinic, deltec pf500 Ca Rx, 3 reef ceramic pillar, and 1 reef ceramic mini-reef, 5 ceramic closed loop intake screen covers, with 50ish pounds of LR

Hey Guys James at Envision Acrylics thinks that i could do 4 1.5" bulkheads in these spa jet things, but he thinks that the velocity of the output would NOT be too strong roughly 800 gph through each,

BUT guess what i found, i found these spa jet bulkheads IN 1"!!!!!

so do you think i should go with

1. 4 1.5" spa jet bulkheads

OR

2. 4 1" spa jet bulkheads

PLEASE let me know ASAP guys!

thanks!

Nick
    275 Gallon Envision Acrylics Tank, 70 gallon sump, BK 300 internal, Zeovit, 5 sequence darts (1 on a oceansmotions 4-way), medusa dual controller, 2 ebo jaer 250w heaters, 1/2 hp JBJ comercial chiller, 4 RO IIIs w/14k hamilitons, 4 VHOs super actinic, deltec pf500 Ca Rx, 3 reef ceramic pillar, and 1 reef ceramic mini-reef, 5 ceramic closed loop intake screen covers, with 50ish pounds of LR

Comment

I was thinking about this last night when I responded to your other thread. The spa bulkheads 1.5" reduce flow to 1". So you do get a little more velocity by going that route over standard 1.5" bulkheads. They also have a nozzel to help direct flow. I didn't mention it last night because I thought you were going to use locline and i'm not sure you can connect these to the spa bulkheads unless you remove the nozzle. If you can go w/ 1" spa bulkheads that will reduce the flow to 3/4" add even more velocity and you might be in business. Or you can use a combination of both and have areas with more turbulence and others with less.

Comment

good point about it reducing the output to 1" witht he 1.5" bulkheads....

SO laster on i might add an ocean motions 4 way device!

so should i just stick with 1.5" bulkheads because thats the size that ocean motions recomends?

and i could just snap out the ball thing if i upgrade to the ocean motions? or i guess i could leave it in also....

what do you think!

thanks!

Nick

Comment

i mean i might get the ocean motions like 2ish months after the tank is setup and just hook it up to the back wall.....

or if you think i should go with the 1" bulkheads then thats what i will do...

but i like the ocean motions device, so that might be a possiblity like 1-2 months after the tank is setup!

so give me your thoughts now after the ocean motions thing....

thanks Madison!

do you think that the 1.5" bulkheads with it being reduced to 1" with that ball thing, i mean would that still be enough and give me enough flow and velocity?

or is the 1" bulkhead with the ball reducing it to 3/4" better?

keep in mind the ocean motions device later on.

thanks!

Nick

Comment

it's really a tough call. Are you going to set this up with fresh water and test out the flow first? I have a Dart and I only split the return into two outputs on a closed loop (1.5"). At some point I might reduce it to 1" to get more velocity out of it.

with oceansmotions you have different options. you can have one port at a time open (i'd recommend using 1.5" bulkheads) or you can have it so that two ports are always open (that's what i'm doing). I would think with 3 darts you can go with the 1.5" spa bulkheads and be fine, even if the others are loc line or whatever.

Comment

Hi Nick, I'm with Madison here, reduction to 1" bulkheads will certainly be my suggestion here. Bob
              "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

I think you need to do 2'' and reduce to 1.5''; the smaller the outlet and the more water you push all you do is make a straight line cutting through the water. You're not going to give yourself as much flow with that unless it's over a long distance and it can eventually spread. Also, if that jet touches a coral you're going to slice right through the skin.

I'm using 2 2'' spa jets and 2 aren't, the spa jets I'm bouncing off a wall first and then 2 1.5'' normal bulkheads to really move the water. All of a Dart pump and a OM.

Comment

So Bob and Madison you guys are say using 1" bulkheads? or are you saying use those 1.5" spa jet bulkheads and the ball will reduce it to 1"?????

i dont get what you guys are saying here.....

i am going to set it up and test it with fresh water first,,,, but i do NOT want to have James drill 1" bulkheads then i decide to go with 1.5" bulkheads...

i mean cant i always reduce it to 1" with a fitting? infact i have that fitting right now....

but i mean what should i do here? go with 1.5" bulkheads and try those spa jets and see how i like it??? then if i dont like the flow i am reduce it to 1" in the tank???

with the ocean motions i dont know who that would effect it, if i reduced it to 1" in the tank... i mean it would be a short 1" peice that i would direct the flow...

what do you guys think here?

thanks!

Nick

Comment

Sean i do not want to drill 2" holes since the dart is 1.5" on the outlet side...

and i think 1.5" is pushing it still even with the ball in that bulkhead reducing it to 1".....

i am clueless in this stuff, help...

Nick

Comment

Don't drill 2" holes. Since you are going out of multiple inputs continuously the flow is going to be reduced.

The 1.5" spa bulkheads are the same as the 1" bulkheads. So I would drill for 1.5's and use the 1.5" spa bulkheads. Since those reduce the output to 1" you will get the movement you need and you will still have 1.5" holes/bulkheads if you ever need to change anything down the road.

Comment

good call thats what i have been thinking!

oh yeah Madison i am going to PM you about the BK i will be ready when i get home!!!!!

Nick

Comment

Consider though that he wants to use an OM, so at times there may be 1 or 2 bulkheads at a time. at 1'' that's going to pushing it imo.

Comment

Nick,

If your using OM's with the Dart with four 1.5" bulkheads that are really going to be 1", you should have no problem with this setup. The good thing about these jet spa bulkheads is that you can easily remove the insert and go with a regular bulkhead. Just make sure you drill the intake hole for the Dart to be a 2" hole. I would've gone with the Dart myself had I only drilled the right size hole in the first place.

Roland

Comment

Working...
                            X