No announcement yet.

Turnover Rate/What Return Pump Brands?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turnover Rate/What Return Pump Brands?

Hi All,

Well we are in the middle of our new 220 setup...have the tank filled and starting the cycling soon. The 220 is 72"x24"x31" and has two 6100 Tunze Streams with a 7094 multicontroller plus the 6212 wavebox. Tank is drilled with two 1.5" bulkheads in a central back overflow box.

We figure we are currently possibly turning the tank over about 30x an hour. What is a good rough estimate for a turnover rate for a successful/prolific SPS reef tank?

What return pumps do most of you guys use for returns? Also how do you typically plumb your returns? Our tank does not have any holes for returns/closed loops so all of it has to come in over the sides. We would also prefer pumps that are more energy efficient and must be quiet as they will be located in the stand below the tank. Obviously know that RD pumps are awesome (have a BK300) but would prefer a more cost efficient option. Anybody using SCWD's, know they can drastically reduce the flow of a pump.

Let us know your opinions/suggestions.

Thanks!

For me, I like my return pumps to be as small as they can for that sized tank. The smaller you can make the pump the less amount of water/noise going through your overflow. I would think you could get by with 1000 gph pump (0 head) or less. If you are trying to create more flow with your return then obviously use a bigger pump.

the large eheim 1260 is good and quiet, it might be just a little small for your application after you subtract the head loss. I wouldn't bother with the sqwd.

Comment

I think the Eheim 1262 might do the trick. If not, wait for the new sequence pumps.
      10x3x2 FOWLR (for now)
      BK400ext
      RD12 return, 2 RD12 closed loop, wavebox with extension
      MRC kalkmixer
      IKS

Comment

hey chuck, the new sequence pumps are already out

http://www.mdminc.com/Uno%20Series.htm

Comment

yeah, 1262, that's what i was thinking. thanks chuck

Comment

Hi,

Well we have an Ehiem 1262 that we were using on the last tank. Also these Ehiem pumps can be run externally correct? Is running 2 return pumps a good idea for repetition, and 1 can run while you are cleaning the other?

Just did not know if the 2 Tunze streams and wavebox were enough flow for the tank....hard to tell now without everything in the tank. What kind of turnover rates do you guys have on your tanks?

Thanks!

Comment

Holy smokes, I saw the pricing on the new Uno series.....not cheap at all.
              10x3x2 FOWLR (for now)
              BK400ext
              MRC kalkmixer
              IKS

Comment

how much are the uno's ?

Comment

Originally posted by tanglovers
                  Hi,

Well we have an Ehiem 1262 that we were using on the last tank. Also these Ehiem pumps can be run externally correct? Is running 2 return pumps a good idea for repetition, and 1 can run while you are cleaning the other?

Just did not know if the 2 Tunze streams and wavebox were enough flow for the tank....hard to tell now without everything in the tank. What kind of turnover rates do you guys have on your tanks?

Thanks!
                  Yup, they can be run externally and are absolutely silent I might add. 2 pumps would be good for redundancy.

In my 250G tank, I have 4 x 6100s and the flow is just right for SPSes. Your wavebox will be excellent for flow and that coupled with the 2 streams should be enuff for sufficient flow and no dead spots. HTH
                  Farish

Setup: 250G System, ATI Powermodul 10x80w T5s, 4x6100 Tunze Streams & 7095 MultiController, Deltec PF1000 CR, Deltec AP902 Skimmer, IKS, Zeovit, Artica 1Hp Chiller

Comment

The unos are 300+.

I run a 1262 on my office 55. I run it through a chiller so I imagine there's considerable head loss. It works great though.

On my 180 I ran a wavebox and 2 6100s with a genx pcs55 for the return. I thought that was plenty of flow.
                    10x3x2 FOWLR (for now)
                    BK400ext
                    MRC kalkmixer
                    IKS

Comment

chuck whered you see the prices?

Comment

customaquatic. That being said, those are "retail". MD, PA have yet to post pricing.
                        10x3x2 FOWLR (for now)
                        BK400ext
                        MRC kalkmixer
                        IKS

Comment

How would you recommend plumbing the ehiem returns into the tank, going to get rid of the SCWD and was planning on running it all 3/4" PVC into a single 3/4" outlet (lockline possibly).

Can Ehiem pumps run the eductor nozzles I have heard people refer to? Would this be a better idea to get a pump that would run these for even more flow in the tank?

Or would you recommend doing a fan style lockline nozzle? Never really used lockline before. Is a narrow stronger stream better then a wider narrow one for general flow? We have the Tunze 6100s, one in each rear corner pointed towards the opposite front corner with the wavebox creating the left/right motion.

Hope that was not too confusing - going to try to get some pics of what I am describing.

Thanks!

Comment

Comment

Working...
                            X