Why in the heck!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why in the heck!

Well i was looking at the sequence website and come ot find out there new style of the "dart" you know the black face now is 1.5" intake and output!!!!

there old style the blueish face was 2" intake and 1.5" output!

now my tank has 2" intake holes drilled!

are there problems with the older blue style dart pump?

i was thinking i could get 4 of the older style pumps and be fine....

what do you think?

thanks guys!

Nick
    275 Gallon Envision Acrylics Tank, 70 gallon sump, BK 300 internal, Zeovit, 5 sequence darts (1 on a oceansmotions 4-way), medusa dual controller, 2 ebo jaer 250w heaters, 1/2 hp JBJ comercial chiller, 4 RO IIIs w/14k hamilitons, 4 VHOs super actinic, deltec pf500 Ca Rx, 3 reef ceramic pillar, and 1 reef ceramic mini-reef, 5 ceramic closed loop intake screen covers, with 50ish pounds of LR

Yea they were changing this because of the complaints of the 2". There is a converter from 2 to 1.5 on the bulkhead. The other complaint with the older dart pump was how easy it could break from unscrewing the plate. Thats why the redesigned it.

Comment

Nick, I used AM 5600's[2"] w/o a hitch, so they may be a alternative if you can't find the Sequence's. Bob
      "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

You can also just use a 2" to 1.5" reducer. There is no problem with going from larger to smaller diameter on a pump intake.
        400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Orion76
          You can also just use a 2" to 1.5" reducer. There is no problem with going from larger to smaller diameter on a pump intake.

Not true. MDM says under no circumstances should you go smaller on the input of there pumps. Others may say otherwise but not MDM.

I use the blue and they are PERFECT just as Edward said, the only reason for the new plate was people over tighten them and they broke, The motor is still the same, etc. .

Comment

Thanks guys,

i will not be unscrewing them, i will have true union ball valves on both the intake and output for easy of maintence....

anyway i guess i mind as well get the blue ones since its less plumbing parts, you know save space....

is there a trick to NOT over tightening them?

Scott- so you are saying that you should not go from say a 1" bulkhead to the 2" intake of the pump?

thanks everyone!

Nick
            275 Gallon Envision Acrylics Tank, 70 gallon sump, BK 300 internal, Zeovit, 5 sequence darts (1 on a oceansmotions 4-way), medusa dual controller, 2 ebo jaer 250w heaters, 1/2 hp JBJ comercial chiller, 4 RO IIIs w/14k hamilitons, 4 VHOs super actinic, deltec pf500 Ca Rx, 3 reef ceramic pillar, and 1 reef ceramic mini-reef, 5 ceramic closed loop intake screen covers, with 50ish pounds of LR

Comment

Nick, you just don't want to go smaller than the intake of the pump. but having 2" bulkhead, then reducing it down to 1.5" will make no difference if the intake is 1.5".

So you know Sequence changed all their reeflo pumps to be more like the Dart. they did change the motors in all of them but they made them more like the ones the Dart's use to use.

Comment

Thanks Madison, what would you do?

would you go the new style or older blue style?

i guess it doesnt matter, just more plumbing if i go with the newer style....

because i will have to reduce it....

what do you think Madison?

thanks!

Nick

Comment

All things being equal (price, availability etc) i'd go with the new style.

Comment

Originally posted by nbd13
                    Thanks guys,

i will not be unscrewing them, i will have true union ball valves on both the intake and output for easy of maintence....

anyway i guess i mind as well get the blue ones since its less plumbing parts, you know save space....

is there a trick to NOT over tightening them?

Scott- so you are saying that you should not go from say a 1" bulkhead to the 2" intake of the pump?

thanks everyone!

Nick
                    Nick,

When I talked to the guys at MDM they said with there new pumps they are using the same motor in the dart w/the black housing.

If you go with the blue housings which is what I use, then they are 2" inputs and 1.5" outputs. They told me not to reduce the in-puts on them, so if you have 2" bulkheads then you are set, there will be no need to reduce anything. If you go with the new black ones then you will have to reduce, and MDM told me not to do that, so that is why I drilled 2" bulkheads in my new sump, otherwise if what Madison is saying, then I would have just went 1-1/2" and been fine.

Madison have you spoken with MDM since they came out with the new one? If so let me know, I want to have the correct info.. Call me anyways like you said you were going to do :mexican:

Comment

Just heard from sequence, they are still 2" intakes and 1.5" outputs,

but they now send fittings to reduce the intake to 1.5" and the output to 1".....

i just wont use the "extra" fittings they supply.....

Nick

Comment

Scott- i would not do that, i have 2" holes drilled for the intake of these pumps....

i am pretty sure that the newer black dart is 2" intake and 1.5" output.....

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...5&pagenumber=2

read through this....

Nick

Comment

Just heard from sequence, they are still 2" intakes and 1.5" outputs,

but they now send fittings to reduce the intake to 1.5" and the output to 1".....

i just wont use the "extra" fittings they supply.....

Nick
                          That is what I thought, I didnt think they changed them, but hell who knows, im just a little fish when I talk to them..

Just let me know what one's Nick and you will get those. time to go Read me some of the new Harry Potter book.. Dont laugh, I am only 27 haha.. Hey its for the little one.. yeah thats it haha.

Talk to you all in the am, have a great rest of this HOT sunday.

scott

Comment

Scott- i would not do that, i have 2" holes drilled for the intake of these pumps....

i am pretty sure that the newer black dart is 2" intake and 1.5" output.....

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...5&pagenumber=2

read through this....

Nick
                            haha that would require not being banned lmao.

Comment

Scott you are only 27 ??? hmm my oldest doughter is 23 i guess i could be your dad

Comment

Working...
                              X