Drain Design...Works or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drain Design...Works or not?

I have 2 choices to choose from when it comes to deciding if I am going to use the MegaFlow design from All-Glass or a simple 1" PVC and the strainer that comes with the bulkhead kit facing upwards.
    I will post a picture tomarrow to better clearify what I am trying to do.
    Thanks

yes that would help out alot
    Nick
    Nick
    180G SPS Mainly
    10 Bulb T5 Starfire
    Calcium Reactor
    3 Tunze 6105's
    Profilux Controller
    ATB Return w/ wavysea
    ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Here are those pictures:

Above is the megaflow design from All-Glass

Above is the simple drain setup

Which setup works best with the less chance of suddenly stoping due to insufficiant flow?

Comment

the top is the best to go with JMHO
        Nick
        Nick
        180G SPS Mainly
        10 Bulb T5 Starfire
        Calcium Reactor
        3 Tunze 6105's
        Profilux Controller
        ATB Return w/ wavysea
        ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

use the top, it will give you less noise and is a better design IMO.

Nick
          275 Gallon Envision Acrylics Tank, 70 gallon sump, BK 300 internal, Zeovit, 5 sequence darts (1 on a oceansmotions 4-way), medusa dual controller, 2 ebo jaer 250w heaters, 1/2 hp JBJ comercial chiller, 4 RO IIIs w/14k hamilitons, 4 VHOs super actinic, deltec pf500 Ca Rx, 3 reef ceramic pillar, and 1 reef ceramic mini-reef, 5 ceramic closed loop intake screen covers, with 50ish pounds of LR

Comment

The "simple design" will simply keep you awake a night.
            Use of the strainer is a good idea but be sure you can get to it to clean it on a regular basis. Have an extra onhand so when you drop it into the abyss you'll have another to replace it.

SteveU
            “People are very open-minded about new things - as long as they're exactly like the old ones.”
            ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

I guess I'll go with the top design. Now...how do I start it up? Were would I place the airline tubing to get the flow started?

Comment

starts its self its a drain the water gets up to the level n it drains into it
                Nick
                Nick
                180G SPS Mainly
                10 Bulb T5 Starfire
                Calcium Reactor
                3 Tunze 6105's
                Profilux Controller
                ATB Return w/ wavysea
                ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

The return to the sump will start and continue by gravity. Even though the strainer is well below water level the water will be pushed up into the line.

BE SURE THE PIECE OUT OF THE WATER has a small breather hole drilled in it to allow the air to escape. That hole will also need to be cleared of salt build up to keep it the same size and open.

SteveU
                  “People are very open-minded about new things - as long as they're exactly like the old ones.”
                  ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

How would I go about stoping the flow if I need to change something?
                    Thanks,
                    Vinny

Comment

shut off valve on the line so u close it stop water from flowing out shut off return pump
                      Nick
                      Nick
                      180G SPS Mainly
                      10 Bulb T5 Starfire
                      Calcium Reactor
                      3 Tunze 6105's
                      Profilux Controller
                      ATB Return w/ wavysea
                      ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

If I am understanding this right...I would have to drill a hole on the cap that is on the top of the megaflow design and fit a small check valve in that hole and attach some airline tubing to the other end of the airline check valve and at the end of the tubing, I would need a shut off valve.
                        Were would I get a shut off valve? Are they the ones that come with the maxi-jet pumps, the ones you turn to shut off air circulation?

Comment

You do need to drill a small hole in the top cap (this prevents siphoning) but you don’t need to do anything else to it. No check valve or hose. When you shut off your pump the water still stop flowing by itself so you don’t really have to do anything. If you want to put a shut off valve on the drain you can but you don’t need to.

Colin
                          120 BB w/20g BB side tank, 29g sump, (2) 250w RO III, 14k AC, Bluewave VII ballast, Deltec 851, Panworld 150 return, (2) 6000 Streams w/controller, AC II Controller w/(2) DC4, GEO 618 CR.

If at first it doesn't fit get a bigger hammer - Beat to fit paint to match

Comment

^ what he said ^

A shut off valve is redundant, water will stop flowing when you turn off the pump. And if you'd close this valve with the pump running you'll get wet feet
                            400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

I finally got the water in the tank! I will be starting up the overflow tomarrow and pump.
                              When I was putting the water in the tank, my sand was stirred up again and the tank is cloudy again, if the tank remains cloudy for more than 10 hours, will I need to do a water change?
                              Also, I may need some more sand, were would I get some southdown like sand?

Comment

Working...
                              X