Zeo users~! Do you use filter sock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zeo users~! Do you use filter sock?

I have a filter sock. and cleaned once in 3~4 days.

Is it OK to use it?

Do you use the filter sock?

Thanks in advance~

:smash:

www.spsholic.com

yes.. I'm using it for my carbon..

If you are talking about use of filter sock for overflow pipe then different story...
    ---------------------------
    180g 3 side Low Iron Glass, Lighting: ATI Power Module 10 x 80W KZ Coral Light (awiting for to mix with fiji purple), Return Pump: Red Dragon 12m3, Tunze WaveMaker:1x 6200, 3 x 6100 and 1 x 6060 + Multicontroller 7095, Bubble King 300 Internal, Deltec - PF 601S, Arctica Chiller 1/2HP, I~Zeo Reactor IZ-618

BK 300 in actionhttp://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v5...IDEO_00003.flv

Comment

7th heaven , if you wanna use the filter sock, then you need to wash it out pretty often, if not, it will lead to an increased bioload due to the decaying stuff trapped in the socks.

Another reason why we dunt use it as that the duff from the zeoliths that we shake everyday will be trapped in the filter sock and dats food for the corals

I believe most of the guys here do not use filter sock and just depend on the skimmer to skim out the docs and siphon the heavier sinking detritus on a regular basis.

hth
      Farish

Setup: 250G System, ATI Powermodul 10x80w T5s, 4x6100 Tunze Streams & 7095 MultiController, Deltec PF1000 CR, Deltec AP902 Skimmer, IKS, Zeovit, Artica 1Hp Chiller

Comment

A filter sock will reduce the effectiveness of your skimmer. It is better when your skimmer gets the raw unfiltered overflow water IMO.
        400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

The Protein Skimmer skimms water soluable protein. and
          The filter sock filters over 100micon sediment,
          (for example,dead body of bacteria, excrement(?) of fishes)
          the cycle from sediment to ammonia is sediment->water soluable protein->ammonia
          I think the role of filter sock and skimmer is different. so
          The skimmer seems to not working very well cause filter sock filters first,
          that is why the skimmer seems good working in case of without filter sock.
          If I do clean filter sock very often,3~4days, I think it will not do bad effect of SPS tank

Is it correct? or not? what is your opinion?
          Thanks in advance~!

www.spsholic.com

Comment

well 7thheaven....
            1 question, why u see a need to use filter sock? Cause for me I'm lazy and I see more disadv using it.

I only using a large sponge on the next compartment after my skimmer to trip marco bubble so as to prevent the bubble returning back to the main tank.. and I have to wash them twice a week.. and I'm already getting lazy to wash them..
            180g 3 side Low Iron Glass, Lighting: ATI Power Module 10 x 80W KZ Coral Light (awiting for to mix with fiji purple), Return Pump: Red Dragon 12m3, Tunze WaveMaker:1x 6200, 3 x 6100 and 1 x 6060 + Multicontroller 7095, Bubble King 300 Internal, Deltec - PF 601S, Arctica Chiller 1/2HP, I~Zeo Reactor IZ-618

Comment

Originally posted by keigo
              well 7thheaven....
              1 question, why u see a need to use filter sock? Cause for me I'm lazy and I see more disadv using it.
              I am not sure my thoght is correct or not, just because I often feed frozen
              brine & mysis shrimp for my 4 anthias so I think it may be helpful.

I am lazy too. so I will remove the filter sock and observe the side effect.

But I wanna know that the filter sock and skimmer have a different role in my
              tank.

www.spsholic.com

Comment

well i guess it will have a different role.. if u go for bigger hole filter sock..

then the filter sock will be use to filter bigger stuff.. and skimmer will be use to skim out DOC.

Comment

I use filter socks on my setup.. I actually use 3 of them and have no problems with using them.. I have even let them go for 2 weeks without changing them and no diff in nutrient load.. I did that to specifically check for that.. I do not feed a lot though and not much is usually in my filter socks.. I do it mostly for the micro bubbles in my sump area.. Skimmer runs great for me with or without them... I have a skimmer rated 3 times larger then my water volume though..

Peace, jeff

Comment

I use a sock, 50 microns, and change it every 2-3 days. Without it I get a lot of crap floating around. The sock is on the overflow into the sump, which is pretty far upstream from both the zeo reactor and the return pump, so I don't see an issue with it interfering with zeo (and so far haven't noticed negative results).

Arthur

Comment

Sounds like you all need better skimmers
                      400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Orion76
                        A filter sock will reduce the effectiveness of your skimmer. It is better when your skimmer gets the raw unfiltered overflow water IMO.
                        Yes, a filter sock can affect skimmer performance a little. But what you are forgetting is that the sock is taking the gunk out lock stock and barrel...! Why would you wait for it to mainly dissolve and have to be processed by the skimmer when you can yank the whole wad right out with the sock? This is assuming you change the sock at least a couple of times a week...

I like to see skimmers work on dissolved organics which is what foam fractionation is all about. While skimmers can remove particulate matter quite well, it isn't what I consider their forte...

Also with todays recirculating needlewheels and powerful Becketts, I don't think filter socks make that big of dent anyway—not IME....
                        Last edited by Todd March; 02-15-2005, 10:36 PM.
                        Rimless Starfire 85g SPS
                        (36" x 26" x 21")
                        ATI Powermodule 10 x 39W
                        ATB Small Cone
                        RK2
                        Vortech MP40W
                        6025 Stream modded
                        Vertex Zeo Reactor
                        Balling

Comment

I heard Korean reefer's experience. he removed the filter sock, and found the bottom
                          of sump got dirty.but He also found that the polyp movement of SPSs were more active.
                          He guesses that the good sign of polyps is caused by sludge in his sump.

:-)

www.spsholic.com

Comment

I use a couple of the small snap ring 800 micron nylon mess filter bags for my tank over flow into my sump with a little different approach...I add a small handfull of polyester fiber used to stuff pillows to act as both a filter media and biofilter. I change the polyfilter every couple of days and squeeze out some of the same sort of biomass that collects on the ZEO rocks.

Underneath the poly filter I put carbon in one and the ZEO rocks in the other. The polyester above the ZEO rocks allow me to reduce the flow over the ZEO rocks while starting up the ZEO process. I'm a new ZEO head just strating up the process. I had been using Vodka for about 6 months before. It reduce the P&N but I haven't seen increased response from the SPS while using it. So I am giv9ing ZEO a try.

In both filter bags, they quickly get covered with the hair like bacteria growth within hours after I feed ZEObak and food.

The 800 micro mesh nylon bags are easy to wash out and are reuseable. Felt bags blind to quickly and they remove too much.

Comment

The more garbage (incl. particles) a skimmer gets the better it will foam the more crap (incl. DOC) your skimmer will be able to remove from the water.

Best case scenario: your skimmer's perfomance is not altered much and the sock filters out stuff your skimmer would have filtered out any way.

Worst case scenario: your skimmer's performance is impeded by the sock, the sock filters out stuff your skimmer would have filtered out any way.

In both cases you have a chore that needs to be done at least every 3 days, cleaning the sock.

Bottom line, if you feel your system needs a sock you should really be looking for a more efficient skimmer. In any event if you insist on using mechanical filtration it should be placed after the skimmer, not before.

Comment

Working...
                              X