wavebox question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wavebox question

I got a wave box and was playing with it in my bath tub and I was almost getting the water to come out of the tub. How does it operate in the tank with out splashing water out? My tank is euro braced and the water level already touches the top brace, I think I need the magnets to mount it too. When I was using it the water level was moving back and forth by about 3 inches, although this was in a tub and at the maximum water movement I could get. I could get the water level to not rock back and forth but I don't think it was doing much for flow or operating as it was supposed to. It was more like a stream not a wave when operating like that. When I turned the driver power down all the way it still varied by about 2 inches. Will it be different in my tank? Does the top vent need to be out of the water or can the whole unit be submerged.
    Anyone have any experiance with these or any pics.
    Thanks

I would imagine the wave action is intensified by the round shape of the bath tub. I believe Tunze recommends your water level is at least 5 cm below the edge of the tank though.
    400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

So I need 5 cm of space to contain the wave in my tank or it will overflow, if so I can't use it in my tank.

Comment

That is my understanding.

To be sure you could ask in the Tunze sponsor forum on RC.
        400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

http://homepage.mac.com/moonpod/iMovieTheater26.html

wavebox on a 180g tank.
          10x3x2 FOWLR (for now)
          BK400ext
          RD12 return, 2 RD12 closed loop, wavebox with extension
          MRC kalkmixer
          IKS

Comment

they werent joking when they called it the wavebox

Comment

I want one of these also but I am not sure I have enough clearence in my tank either....

Comment

The top of the wavebox needs to be out of the water. It is best to have 1 1/2" clearance between the top of the water and the top of your tank. The wave will not be as large in your tank as it was in your tub, but I would be hesitant to run on less than 1" clearance. You would not be able to adjust to its full potential.
                HTH,
                Brian
                Brian

Comment

Send it my way if you won't use it

Seriously, that is bummer if you cannot run your wavebox, sorry dude. Perhaps swop it out for some streams?
                  _Cerven

/ 20g ZEOnano9020 system / nanoreefblog.com /

The golden ratio is 1.61803399 - use it wisely.

Comment

I'll try it in my tank but I don't think it's going to work although the bracing might contain the wave. I had a 3 gallon dump tray on it before and it didn't overflow. I have 3 streams 6100 in my tank and one in my frag tank(70 gal rubbermaid). If the box won't go in my tank I will put it in my frag tank and have four streams in my tank, since the frag tank has plenty of water clearance. It's round so it will have big waves but I think it can contain any size wave I throw at it. Do you think the wave box will keep the detris off the bottom of the frag tank since it's hard to siphon since my frags and reef racks are in the way. I really wanted to use it it my tank though. I don't know to many people w/ that much free space at the top of their tank. My overflow teeth position make the water level unchangable. I 'll have to experiment.
                    Thanks

Comment

I looked at lunch all I have is 3/4" of and inch so I am out of getting one of these aswell.. Looks like another 6100 for me too bringing me to a total of 4 in my 240...

Comment

You can't cut your overflow teeth down some more?
                        10x3x2 FOWLR (for now)
                        BK400ext
                        RD12 return, 2 RD12 closed loop, wavebox with extension
                        MRC kalkmixer
                        IKS

Comment

Great idea moonpod I'll look into that. Might be kind of a pain though with the tank full of water and animals. Whats any easy way to do this?
                          Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by moonpod
                            You can't cut your overflow teeth down some more?
                            I did that before and ended up breaking some of the teeth off when I first got the tank.. That was a VERY sore spot for me to say the least.. If the tank was not up and running I do not see a problem with doing it though.. If you are going to try it use a dremal or something like that with the cutting wheel..

Comment

dremel with the fiberglass cutter on it, it will cut like butter. drain down the tank a little but a cup under where you are cutting and you will be set. Or heat up a razor knife and apply pressure. but do drain down the tank a few gallons.

Comment

Working...
                              X