Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Tank, New T5 lights. Which one to choose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Tank, New T5 lights. Which one to choose?

Hello all..
    First of all thanks to the admin for allowing me into the group,👍.
    Little bit about me : Being in the hobby since 2015, i am switching over from my old 90 gallon (shut down a year ago) to a new upcoming 150g build early next year. The old set up was lps reef powered by Hydras and some basic equipment .
    For the new build that will be from Cade aquariums i am thinking of following equiments. Any suggestions / advice are most welcome from all you experienced reefers
    Tank, Stand and sump: Cade S21500 150x60x60cm
    Lights Main T5s supplemented by led bars : T5s still undecided between Kz brand fixture . Giesemann Matrixx ii and lastly ATI sunpower.. Looking at suggestions amongst these. I left out the Pacific Sum Athlea lamps becuase Pac Sun quoted 130 euros additional for the black color model which i found absurd..🙄
    Skimmer : Carried forward from old set up Tunze 9410dc
    Return pump: Maxspect turbine duo from previous set up
    Wavemakers: Tunze, gyres
    UV sterlizer: Deltec

For the lights. note that i will have to import pretty much any brand that i choose from the above listed. The choice would be considering the summer temperatures in my region which get very hot. The light would be hanging from the ceiling, so the fixture would be relatively ventilated. The fixture will be at minimum 20cm above the tank for ease of maintenance.
    The reason for keeping ATI as the 3rd option is purely based on the look aspect as the tank will be in living room. But the look factor does not supersede the performance
    So looking at all these criteria, i would like some valuable inputs from the users and their overall experiences for the mentioned brands.
    Thanks and Regards

If I understand what you mean. This is my suggestion. The pros and cons of using T5 lamps, stabilizers, transformers and reflectors are very important. Regarding your tank size, if it is me, I will choose "ATI sunpower". If I remember correctly, install Above, x8 tubes are provided, which are suitable for your tank size. As for the current ATI sunpower. Maybe it is equipped with leds on the device, I don't know. For your reference. As for other devices, I can't provide more suggestions.

In addition, the UV sterilizer can be used temporarily. ZeoVit is based on a bacterial system and is not recommended for long-term use.

Comment

hey jacky,
      Mant thanks for your suggestion. the other equipments that i have listed are just for an overall idea of my new system.
      T
      The ATI hybrid powermodule and not Sunpower is equipped with leds as far as i know, but the those leds dont help much that whats i have heard from other forums and at the same time cost goes up signifiantly. Thats the reason i am looking at t5 route with some good led bars(illumagic, orpheks etc) for supplementing. I am quiet intrigued with the KZ brand fixture but need some information on it regarding the cooling etc. I have mailed kz on the same, hoping to get some reply from them.
      Anyway, thanks for writng .👍

Comment

Welcome to ZeoVit.com !

I have used the Korallenzucht T5 fixture (2 fixtures with each 8 x 54W T5) on my systems without any problem. The fixture is well made and nothing has broken over the years. I had them about 15 – 20 cm above the water surface and installed some silent fans between the fixtures and the water surface. Here you can see a picture:

The fans where controlled with a thermostat. The construction was very silent and kept the tank in summer at the necessary temperature.

G.Alexander

Comment

Hi ya,

I have the Pacific Sun Diuna x 8 fixture.
          Its about 8-9 years old
          Fan's did fail out of warranty and PS replaced them
          The fans are quite, and are mounted on top of the ballasts.
          I have replaced them since and it seem to be a issue with all lighting fans

The only options to me at the time were Ps and Ati.
          I chose the Ps only because of abllity to turn on two channels/bulbs in steps
          (1-8) (2-7) (3-6)(4-5) to create a dusk to dawn effect and which ever ones you want with there little bluetooth software
          Software very basic. And only has one power cord.

Ati channel 3 and 6 turn on, on one power cord, and all the rest turn on on the other power cord.

Hey, I would look at 10 bulb unit,
          I run 8 bulb on same width tank.

Regards
          NB

Comment

Originally posted by NZ-Nick View Post
            Hi ya,

I have the Pacific Sun Diuna x 8 fixture.
            Its about 8-9 years old
            Fan's did fail out of warranty and PS replaced them
            The fans are quite, and are mounted on top of the ballasts.
            I have replaced them since and it seem to be a issue with all lighting fans

The only options to me at the time were Ps and Ati.
            I chose the Ps only because of abllity to turn on two channels/bulbs in steps
            (1-8) (2-7) (3-6)(4-5) to create a dusk to dawn effect and which ever ones you want with there little bluetooth software
            Software very basic. And only has one power cord.

Ati channel 3 and 6 turn on, on one power cord, and all the rest turn on on the other power cord.

Hey, I would look at 10 bulb unit,
            I run 8 bulb on same width tank.

Regards
            NB
            hello NB

Many thanks for sharing your experience and suggestions😊. So you are overall happy with your PS Diuna.

Yes i had given a thought to the PS Athlea model (as its a new model as compred to Diuna), but if you see from my opening post, PS quoted me 130euros just to have a black color model. This is absurd as other PS models do not have this cost difference for colors.

Just like you the very reason for me filtering PS, Giesemann over the ATI is also this aspect of ability to turn on the bulbs in steps. I have no idea if KZ has this feature on their light.

i am awaiting a quote/reply from Giesemann and Kz. So lets see what they say.

Another factor is Giesemann Matrixx ii 8 bulb fixture is 44cm front to back and the Kz fixture is 55cm . I am worried if the light will fall too much into the room with 55cm fixture. Maybe G.Alexander can clarify on this

thanks once again.
            Regards

Comment

Hi,

my fixture is about 520mm wide over all, but the lights and reflector are about 410mm.

Yes, I have been happy with the unit.
              i
              But I haven’t had anything to compare it to.

nwver found any forums comparing T5 fixtures over the years. (Side by side)

Lots of bulbs but never fixture which is a shame.

maybe have a rethink of the colour of the fixture?
              having the have in a living room generally with light coloured wall might make the stand out a lot.
              but then if ur tank is black it all match’s right !!

Regards
              NB

Comment

hello Nick
                yes, its pretty surpising how there is nothing on the fixtures.. There are tons of reviews etc on the leds but not t5s.. Bad

Thats a important thing to consider actually, the actual size of the fixture and how much space the bulbs are taking. Thanks for that input.

Yes , the new system that i will be having is all black. the tank with black back glass, the stand is black with black glass doors. Thats the reason i am keen on a black fixture for which unfortunately Pac sun quoted extra and i doubt if KZ has their fixture in black. Ati also has in white and silver only. Giesemann has got black as an option but i am yet to hear from them.

I have mailed G. Alexander also regarding the weight of the fixture. let see what he says. Since i have another 2-3 months i hand , i can afford to wait.

BTW what are the dimensions of yout tank?

thanks again
                Regards

Comment

Hi ya,

My tanks 1500Lx600hx650w
                  RS 625xxl

Comment

Hey
                    so exactly as my upcoming build. just 5 cm more in width
                    Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by G.Alexander View Post
                      Welcome to ZeoVit.com !

I have used the Korallenzucht T5 fixture (2 fixtures with each 8 x 54W T5) on my systems without any problem. The fixture is well made and nothing has broken over the years. I had them about 15 – 20 cm above the water surface and installed some silent fans between the fixtures and the water surface. Here you can see a picture:

The fans where controlled with a thermostat. The construction was very silent and kept the tank in summer at the necessary temperature.

G.Alexander
                      Hello Alexander

i have replied to your pm. So not writing the same thing here again.
                      Thanks

Comment

Sorry for my late reply, I just send you a PM.

G.Alexander

Comment

Working...
                        X