Converting LED + T5 to HQI + T5 from AI Hydra to Giesemann Spectra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting LED + T5 to HQI + T5 from AI Hydra to Giesemann Spectra

I started to like SPS corals more and more, especially full-spectrum acropores in daylight. For 8h anyway my Hydra 64HD shines on the full spectrum around 10000k. I saw the most beautiful and natural acropores with the HQI + T5 hybrid, these aquariums were in the years 2010-2014, so a long time ago.
    I would like to change the lighting from Hydra 64HD + 2x24w T5 to Giesemann Spectra 1x250w HQI + 4x24w T5
    And now the question, because the price difference is small between the 250W and 400W filament in the Spectra model.
    The dimensions of the aquarium 60x50x50cm
    Is the 400W filament just a madness that will burn the corals?
    The colors under the Blue LEDs are really cool, but I like the acropores under 10000K - 14000K more and the additional Royal blue and Uv LEDs can always be added in some DIY construction.

To achieve as much power for the corals as I would like, I would have to add one more Hydre 64, which in watts would be similar to a 250W filament.

The photos I attached are illuminated with HQI + T5 enchanted me.
    The light output in these tanks is above 2W / L
    Attached Files

I like the beautiful coral reef. The size of the aquarium is 60x50x50cm. I think it is enough to use 250W to raise SPS corals. Just like you said adding some blue spectrum to complement the visual enjoyment.

Comment

I would also go with a 250W HQI with these dimensions, make sure to have a chance to add T5 bulbs as many of the 10k HQI bulbs need some additional blue to get added to create a natural look.

The lighting change will first cause a loose of your corals for some time before they start to improve coloration again. Start to hang the new fixture higher than usual to give your coals time to adopt and bring it than down slowly step by step over the next 3 – 4 weeks.

G.Alexander

Comment

Megachrome filaments are available in color temperatures: 12000K, 14500K, 21000K and 17500K
        There is 1x250W + 4x24w T5 built-in in the Giesemann spectra lamp
        Physically at home I have an ATI Sunpower 4x24W t5 lamp and an AZoo Flexi M 2x24W T5 lamp, the latter lamp complements the hydra now.

And what do you think about the T5 itself, only here will I lack the power of light.
        Do you think it's a good move? Changing from LED to HQI + T5?

Comment

I want to say that "lighting" is not the only condition that affects the color and appearance of corals. Each lamp has its own characteristics, some people mix and match, and some people use T5 tubes completely. Personally, using full T5 lighting, I followed Zeo's recommendation and achieved good results. It is good to use natural balanced lighting (main force) with some blue light to create a natural look. (This can be a close to full spectrum illumination)

Comment

I have no experience with LED however I have used a HQI / T5 combination and full T5 in the past. Both configurations have created excellent results however I was always missing the shadow which is caused by HQI while having used full T5. Over here HQI bulbs are difficult to get because of their high energy consumption which is not “allowed” over here anymore.

If this all would not be the case I might personally use a HQI / T5 combination again.

The difference between full T5 and a mixed environment is not coral coloration, it is my personal taste to have a “natural like” lighting effect.

G.Alexander

Comment

Today I fired up the 6x24w T5, I liked the effect immediately, the Hydra 64HD image is so artificial, it gives the impression of a cheesy light effect. Fluorescent lamps in t5 are not new and corals look better. Well, the decision has been made, Giesemann Spectra 1x250W + 4x24w T5 replaces Hydre 64HD, if I have enough space above the aquarium, I will try to fit 2 lamps: 2x24 and 4x24
              The Giesemann Spectra lamp itself takes up a lot of space, but maybe even more T5 can be packed
              Looking at the electricity consumption, the T5 itself, if I would like to achieve a similar level of watts, would be similar to the HQI.
              HQI Bulb to Poland and so I will have to order from Germany directly from Giesemann.

Thank you guys for your help, when the change of light takes effect it will show you the results.

G. Alexander and Jacky please send me the links for your tanks.

Comment

Hello,

This is very exciting,

I have been contemplating another tank (frag) with METAL HALIDE combo like the Spectra.

Looking forward to seeing it up and running😎

Cann't go wrong with that, Good choice👍

People have mentioned online. that heaters don't turn ON as much with MH where as people with LEDS, heaters are switching on and off more.(using more power)

I see you in Poland......Do you have any reefing friends the run the Pacific Sun leds,
                I am only mentioning this as there LEDs and or LED/5 would be the closest to mimicking METAL Halide that i have seen

Comment

Originally posted by Miszka View Post
                  G. Alexander and Jacky please send me the links for your tanks.
                  I had two systems running, the first one had HQI + T5:

https://forum.zeovit.com/forum/pictu...-photo-session

The second one was running just with T5:

https://forum.zeovit.com/forum/pictu...up-and-running

G.Alexander

Comment

They are just Awesome G,Alexander👍

Comment

Originally posted by NZ-Nick View Post
                      Hello,

This is very exciting,

I have been contemplating another tank (frag) with METAL HALIDE combo like the Spectra.

Looking forward to seeing it up and running😎

Cann't go wrong with that, Good choice👍

People have mentioned online. that heaters don't turn ON as much with MH where as people with LEDS, heaters are switching on and off more.(using more power)

I see you in Poland......Do you have any reefing friends the run the Pacific Sun leds,
                      I am only mentioning this as there LEDs and or LED/5 would be the closest to mimicking METAL Halide that i have seen

Personally, I have not dealt with Pacific Sun lamps but two of my friends have had these lamps and they are not happy, the paint in the housing is not sticking, the housings are rusting and generally poorly made. As for electronics, it is also supposedly weak, something in these tubes often breaks down. And when it breaks down, the cost of new components is strangely expensive. Polish brand and Poles have to pay for components in Euro. If they would buy a second time, they would choose ATI or Giesemann lamps which have good opinions among users. Please remember that I personally did not have these lamps in my use, but I am telling you the impressions of my good aquarium friends.

Comment

Originally posted by G.Alexander View Post

G.Alexander

G. Alexander your tanks were authentic real coral wonders
                        I would like to achieve something similar in my aquarium.

Comment

Originally posted by Miszka View Post

Personally, I have not dealt with Pacific Sun lamps but two of my friends have had these lamps and they are not happy, the paint in the housing is not sticking, the housings are rusting and generally poorly made. As for electronics, it is also supposedly weak, something in these tubes often breaks down. And when it breaks down, the cost of new components is strangely expensive. Polish brand and Poles have to pay for components in Euro. If they would buy a second time, they would choose ATI or Giesemann lamps which have good opinions among users. Please remember that I personally did not have these lamps in my use, but I am telling you the impressions of my good aquarium friends.

I was aware in there early days that they had some issues, eg clunky software.
                          Maybe things/techno hasn't moved forward.

I run the Duna T5 unit for maybe 8-10 years. And still do.
                          and the only issue was noisey fans at 3 year mark,
                          They did replacement them out of warranty, which great customer service.

Definitely going try metal halide on a frag tank👍

Comment

Originally posted by G.Alexander View Post

G.Alexander

G.Alexander

Did you notice difference “running costs” of the two light system in general.
                            Excluding bulbs replacement

Regards
                            Nickb

Comment

Hello Nick, not really this was the configuration:

3 x 250W HQI + 4 x 80W T5 = 1070 W total
                              16 x 54W T5 = 864 W total

Bulbs in both cases where replaced every 8 – 10 month so the cost for both configurations was about the same.

G.Alexander

Comment

Working...
                              X