All T5's or MH/T5 Combo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All T5's or MH/T5 Combo?

I currently have a Maristar combo hood with 2-250W DE BLV 10K bulbs (HQI ballast) and 2 54W t5 actinics. I've had this system about one year and have 1) not been overly impressed with the growth of my corals and 2) am disappointed with how much noise the fans make. That said, I'm considering a change.

I'm considering replacing the BLV 10K's to 14K's or replacing the whole works and going to the SLS 8x54W t5 hood. As far as the color, I like the look of my current MH lighting and the blue of the actinics. In that sense I'm indifferent because each look has its pluses. At this point, I'm more interested in what's best for the sps corals (and clams!) and how to get the colors to pop. The fact that an all t5 hood will be quieter is also a plus.

If I go with the t5's, I'll likely follow Iwan's bulb recommendation of 2x 54W ATI Blueplus and 6x54W ATI Aquablue special. Input from the "light gurus" on the forum will be appreciated!
    Pikeman

Hi Jeff, I think we all wonder if all T5's would be an improvement for our coral colors over the MH/actinics combo that most of us run currently. I really don't know that answer. I'd probably wait until URI's T'5s arrive on the marketplace to judge the effectiveness of total T5 lighting. In my case, I've decided to add 2 sets of 24" T5's at each end of my reef, angled at 30 degrees to see if there's any changes in colors. Might even add one of Jeff's red bad-boys Do update us on your decision Bob
    "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

I know my ignorance will shine forth when I ask this question, but what the heck. Are the URI folks going to produce just the t5 lights or t5 lights with a high quality t5 fixture???
      Jeff
      Pikeman

Comment

URI makes the best T12 (VHO) bulbs out there. For that reason everyone is anxiously awaiting them to make the T5 bulbs as well. They are due out any time now, probably in the next month or two. I personally spoke with a sales rep and they ARE going to be out soon.

As for T5, I have a pure T5 tank right now. I will say I am not super impressed with my growth rates either, but I think it has more to do with my water than the lighting. I have more than enough light I think. I have 6x54w over my 75g. No more will even fit actually. 8 simply will not fit. Any more would be a waste anyway. T5s are known to work very well though, so I am sticking with them for now. I do have some corals that are doing well, others still look good but not growing as fast as I would like. I am planning on trying CV and AAHC in the future and seeing the results before moving to full on Zeo. I just dont have the loot to drop on the full fledged system right now
        -Kurt

Take a look at what I'm wearing, people. You think anybody wants a roundhouse
        kick to the face while I'm wearing these bad boys? Forget about it - Rex

Comment

Hi Kurt, forgive me if this info was posted earlier, but what ballast & brand bulbs are you using? Thnx. Bob

Comment

I don't think you should blame your lack of growth on your lights, you have the same setup as someone else on this forum with a very famous tank

I run all T5 on my freshwater tank, they are powerful, quiet, good color, economical.... but no glitter lines. The lack of glitter lines is one big reason why I would never use all T5 on my marine tank.
            400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

I don't have to emphasize well further that I am a T5 friend.
              A well equipped T5 illumination for certain won't disappoint you.
              The illumination is very ****geneous.
              You will have hardly shade places which are unsuitable for stone corals.
              The colors are influenced for certain positively.
              Cheers,

Iwan Lässer

www.hausriff.ch

Comment

Good info, Iwan, Here in the States, I do not believe ATI or D&D have their units available[maybe their bulbs?] URI, historically makes a top-of-the-line VHO, especially if the ballast is Icecap which can overdrive a 54W T5 up to 80W, therefore, my question to Kurt about his ballast choice. Are you happy with the new 80W bulbs you've recently added? Thnx. Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Aged Salt
                  Are you happy with the new 80W bulbs you've recently added? Thnx. Bob
                  More than that, Bob!
                  I have now 22% more lights. Even some percents more, because the new ATI system with activ bulb cooling (ventilators).
                  Cheers,

Iwan Lässer

www.hausriff.ch

Comment

Thnx. Iwan, of course, your reef & corals are absolutely dazzling I've noticed since your addition of more wattage, it appears your corals are becoming more lightened, more toward pastel in coloration.[around Jan. 1st] Is this change from the increased in lighting or do you dose ZeoSpur2, which I did not see listed of the K-Z products that you are currently using? Thnx. Bob

Comment

I primarily close back the improvement on the colors on 2 causes.
                      1. The stronger illumination.
                      2. Stopping trace elements.
                      By the active dosage of trace elements it has come to an overproduction of zooxanthels.
                      The symbiosis algae have made the colors seem more dark.
                      By the diminution of the trace elements the algae decreased, the colors are more brigther.
                      I am using Zeospur2 since a while.
                      I am very careful with the recommendation of this product.
                      I know many bad stories. Particularly enthusiastic reefkeeper's have ruined whole coral population.
                      Correctly used, you achieves the last kick of the coloring with this product.
                      I think that this product helps very well if you reached 95% of the coloring.
                      However, it is enormously important that all other parameters are correct first.
                      Brown corals don't get colored if you give Zeospur2.
                      But colored corals get more colored!
                      Last edited by Iwan; 02-21-2006, 05:00 AM.
                      Cheers,

Iwan Lässer

www.hausriff.ch

Comment

Thnx. Iwan & all of the above that you posted is correct. FWIW, I've given browned-out corals several Spur2 dips for up to 15min. without any color change. I mention this so others do not think that Spur2 will colorize a brown coral all by itself. One will not have any horror stories with Spur2 if they follow the guidelines given in the ZEOvit guide. The exception will be corals that are already stressed, therefore, I always ask the new Spur2 users to be sure their corals are healthy & parameters stable for at least a month before embarking on it's use. Bob

Comment

if they follow the guidelines given in the ZEOvit guide.
                          And the difficulty lies in it!
                          At a right application positive effects will bring a lot of joy.
                          The impatience is a human vice. One often forgets all advice out of impatience.
                          I write in some forum's. Many people read this contributions.
                          I think that some readers don't have any great experiences with colored stone corals.
                          I like to pass my experiences on to everyone. I tell 95% of my method.

So I am rather sure that the impatient coral friend doesn't harm his corals either.
                          Make a little darker corals, if one gives a couple of drops of amino acid too many.
                          However, something bad doesn't happen.
                          If the experienced reefkeeper then asks me for the last kick privately, I give him to use the advice ZS2. I publicly don't like so to write about this because I don't want to inspire an impatient reefkeeper to experiments.
                          Cheers,

Iwan Lässer

www.hausriff.ch

Comment

I use Icecap relfectors and Geismann/D&D/GE 6x54w bulbs with Triad ballasts that drives the T5 to spec. To be honest I think putting the icecap ballasts on mine would be a bit much for the shallow 20" deep tank. Some of my corals, peticularly my LPS did not react very kindly to my T5s and I had to move them to more shaded areas. Also I had some riccordia start to bleach out and had to move that under a ledge and now it is back to its original blue/green color. A frag of pocillapora also seemed to start bleaching a bit so I lowered that as well. It used to looked quite green at first (came from Jeff's tank) but the upper side of the coral lightend to a very very light green and almost white skeleton. Since moving it much lower, it hasnt really changed color though so I really dont know what is going on with it. It is definatly not turning brown, but isnt getting the bright green back again either.

I will say one thing, even with Jeffs massive amount of lighting (4x400w 20k MH + ~80w worth of overdriven T5s and 220w of VHO actinic), my tank is quite a bit brighter with just the T5s.
                            -Kurt

Take a look at what I'm wearing, people. You think anybody wants a roundhouse
                            kick to the face while I'm wearing these bad boys? Forget about it - Rex

Comment

Originally posted by Horace
                              A frag of pocillapora also seemed to start bleaching a bit so I lowered that as well. It used to looked quite green at first (came from Jeff's tank) but the upper side of the coral lightend to a very very light green and almost white skeleton. Since moving it much lower, it hasnt really changed color though so I really dont know what is going on with it. It is definatly not turning brown, but isnt getting the bright green back again either.

I'm having a similar effect with a couple of acros under T5s - getting very pale in places - I'v just cut down the photo period to see what happends. Also started dosing K-B @ 1 ml per 100ltrs - have to wait and see....

Any advice apreciated

Thanks alot

Comment

Working...
                              X